Guitar Center doing a beginner home recording workshop

Shrivel

Guitar Centers are starting to do a free beginner's home recording workshop this month. I attended the first in the series at my local GC (Marietta, GA) and it was not bad. They had a big turn out (probably around 30 or so) and will be moving to a larger room next week. It's an hour or so long class that will span four weeks. Today was just kind of an intro to using a DAW, basic mic techniques for vocals and guitars, and basic equipment. Next week will be about VSTs, fx, etc.

This is truly a beginner's class, as only a myself and maybe two or three others had any experience with digital recording (although there were a couple that seemed to be trying to make the transition from analog recording to DAW recording.) I was also pretty familiar with most everything discussed today, but I imagine I'l start getting to the more foreign stuff next week.

Anyway, thought I'd let any beginners know about this resource.

They are free - I was initially concerned that it was going to be some sort of front to try and sell Macs or some vendor's stuff. Its not.
The one I went to was on Saturday morning at 10.

Guitar Centers are starting to do a free beginner's home recording workshop this month. I attended the first in the series at my local GC (Marietta, GA) and it was not bad. They had a big turn out (probably around 30 or so) and will be moving to a larger room next week. It's an hour or so long class that will span four weeks. Today was just kind of an intro to using a DAW, basic mic techniques for vocals and guitars, and basic equipment. Next week will be about VSTs, fx, etc.

This is truly a beginner's class, as only a myself and maybe two or three others had any experience with digital recording (although there were a couple that seemed to be trying to make the transition from analog recording to DAW recording.) I was also pretty familiar with most everything discussed today, but I imagine I'l start getting to the more foreign stuff next week.

Anyway, thought I'd let any beginners know about this resource.

That's cool, I didn't know they did stuff like that!

Also, this thread is a painful reminder that I've never been to a Guitar Center. :(

I want to go and check it out - at least see what they are telling people. Hell I might even learn something :)

Wonder if it's vendor sponsored?

I don't get to GC often. There are 3 smaller stores within like 3 miles of me. GC is like 20+ miles.

I am curious to know what the workshops are like.

If I can get up that early I will go this Sat :)

I don't see how they could impart any more knowledge than you could get from watching tutorials on Youtube or posting your question here or at Gearslutz or Harmony Central.

Yeah, I'd double check things. Home Depot is the same way, some of the information may be correct but the way they tell you to do it is centered around what they can sell you.

I don't see how they could impart any more knowledge than you could get from watching tutorials on Youtube or posting your question here or at Gearslutz or Harmony Central.

I wouldn't expect I would learn much about recording - but I could learn about how the GC recording workshops run and what they are telling people. I just want to see who shows up and how they present it. Might meet some cool people and plus I can have an excuse to hang out a guitar center and test guitars and amps :)

Yeah, I'd double check things. Home Depot is the same way, some of the information may be correct but the way they tell you to do it is centered around what they can sell you.

There was no selling going on as far as I could tell. They played a five minute demo of Garageband for the iPad while the stragglers shuffled in, but other than that, there was no implication that they were selling a single thing. In fact, the presenter made it clear that although all the work was being done on a Mac, the same stuff could be done just as well on a PC. He even said that "Apple wants you to want the latest and greatest, but an older computer will handle the same things just as well."

He made some suggestions about particular interfaces, but also said that there are plenty to chose from in the same price range.

I expect the goal was to 1) get people into the store and 2) get people interested in recording. Anyone here knows that by accomplishing either will result in more sales for them.

"I don't see how they could impart any more knowledge than you could get from watching tutorials on Youtube or posting your question here or at Gearslutz or Harmony Central."

So far, it is way less knowledge. But that's not how many people learn - my impression was that the vast majority of the people that showed up would not be very likely to spend a lot of time on forums or web sites. Most were amazed at the idea of midi and cut/paste in the DAW.

"I don't see how they could impart any more knowledge than you could get from watching tutorials on Youtube or posting your question here or at Gearslutz or Harmony Central."

So far, it is way less knowledge. But that's not how many people learn - my impression was that the vast majority of the people that showed up would not be very likely to spend a lot of time on forums or web sites. Most were amazed at the idea of midi and cut/paste in the DAW.

You can cut and paste?

Why wasn't I told!

Back