Got rejection letter this morning!

Benreturns

Sent a 2 song demo CD off to Sony/BMG, EMI, Warner chappel on monday. Sony BMG wrote back to me today saying thanx but they wont be able to place my songs anywhere at the moment. Gawd dammit! At least they returned my CD...

Benreturns said:
Sent a 2 song demo CD off to Sony/BMG, EMI, Warner chappel on monday. Sony BMG wrote back to me today saying thanx but they wont be able to place my songs anywhere at the moment. Gawd dammit! At least they returned my CD...

Was this solicited? Do you have a manager, or did you just send it yourself? Was it for an artist deal or a songwriting deal?

famous beagle said:
Was this solicited? Do you have a manager, or did you just send it yourself? Was it for an artist deal or a songwriting deal?
Either way, that sucks! :(

Oh, well. Keep trying, because you never know...

Just my 2 cents here,

I don't think sending off demos to a large company is a good way to do things. I mean, it doesn't hurt but, it's not a realistic way to get a record deal. The big boys will only invest in proven product. They're in it to make money, and that's it. Unless they can release a product that they'll be able to distribute nationally or internationally and recoup all the costs of making the product and make a profit, they won't sign a record contract.

I think the key is is to build a descent local following through live shows and try to get on an independant label to start with. Get a good album recorded and have the label get you set up with shows in your area. Start moving product through internet sales, local music shops that will carry the record, and at live shows, and if people are liking it and buying it start looking into professional management to get booked as openers for mid sized national acts that come through the area. A lot of solid connections can be formed once you start getting those kind of connections. Eventually you'll have various contacts who know so and so at BMG or Sony or whatever and if things fall into place you may get an A&R to come check ya out to see if you might be a solid investment.

Just my thoughts on it. Good luck to ya!

earthboundrec said:
Just my 2 cents here,

I don't think sending off demos to a large company is a good way to do things. I mean, it doesn't hurt but, it's not a realistic way to get a record deal. The big boys will only invest in proven product. They're in it to make money, and that's it. Unless they can release a product that they'll be able to distribute nationally or internationally and recoup all the costs of making the product and make a profit, they won't sign a record contract.

I think the key is is to build a descent local following through live shows and try to get on an independant label to start with. Get a good album recorded and have the label get you set up with shows in your area. Start moving product through internet sales, local music shops that will carry the record, and at live shows, and if people are liking it and buying it start looking into professional management to get booked as openers for mid sized national acts that come through the area. A lot of solid connections can be formed once you start getting those kind of connections. Eventually you'll have various contacts who know so and so at BMG or Sony or whatever and if things fall into place you may get an A&R to come check ya out to see if you might be a solid investment.

Just my thoughts on it. Good luck to ya!

Couldn't agree with you more! Good job! I was going to post the same thing but you did it for me. ;)

I was actually going to congratulate you. Not often do they take the time to reject you. I think that's a good start :)

hi all

Thanks for the advice on the subject. Ive gotten over the feeling rejected stage and got to work on some new tunes ive recently wrote. Also sent another CD of the same demo off to Universal. Im going to try some smaller independant labels next.

Im actually after a songwriting deal - i have no interest in performing myself, but i think i can write some good contemporary stuff with a nice edge etc and i actually like my songs - they're ma babies (im sure you all feel the same on your own so you know what im talking about!)

In that respect im disadvantaged because i have got a local following to 'build up' and gain interest. I just write songs and demo them in hope a company will be able to tag an artist to them. Makes you wonder tho - no feedback on the songs -were they badly recorded/produced? Lame songs? too different for the market? Not 'paint by numbers'/'put in a neat genre box' tunes? boring? Or did they not like the vocals?

I dunno. Keep plugging hey!

(by the way - in responce to a Q up there - no it was not solicited material. I have no manager either. Just me, my studio and hopefully an ear for a tune!)

Keep knocking on those doors, eventually one will open. If you have a dream, you can't give up easily. If you read the bios for those that made it, they have plenty of stories of rejection. And when a door opens, make sure they are the right people YOU want to work with.

Very good advice was given above, keep building your Rolodex, playing live, make those connections. Determination means a lot.

Id try the independents I sent like 15 demos to independents and recieved like 12 offers from all over the country sending it to a major I have not tried that yet I figured Id get a rejection letter like your self but I turned them all down and decided to push it on my own I mean that type of response I must have some good music

Benreturns said:
Makes you wonder tho - no feedback on the songs -were they badly recorded/produced? Lame songs? too different for the market? Not 'paint by numbers'/'put in a neat genre box' tunes? boring? Or did they not like the vocals?

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but probably either a low-level A&R Rep or an intern put your disc/cassette/8 Track into their player, listened to each track for 30 seconds and then took it out, put it back in an envelope, printed a form letter, or waited until they had enough for a mail merge and then sent it back to you.

Nobody will hire you or buy your music if they have not heard you live or met you. This has not changed in 60 years of the music business.

next time, call them up, ask for a name,and send it with "requested material" written on the enveloppe.

Benreturns said:

Benreturns said:
Thanks for the advice on the subject. Ive gotten over the feeling rejected stage and got to work on some new tunes ive recently wrote. Also sent another CD of the same demo off to Universal. Im going to try some smaller independant labels next.

Im actually after a songwriting deal - i have no interest in performing myself, but i think i can write some good contemporary stuff with a nice edge etc and i actually like my songs - they're ma babies (im sure you all feel the same on your own so you know what im talking about!)

In that respect im disadvantaged because i have got a local following to 'build up' and gain interest. I just write songs and demo them in hope a company will be able to tag an artist to them. Makes you wonder tho - no feedback on the songs -were they badly recorded/produced? Lame songs? too different for the market? Not 'paint by numbers'/'put in a neat genre box' tunes? boring? Or did they not like the vocals?

I dunno. Keep plugging hey!

(by the way - in responce to a Q up there - no it was not solicited material. I have no manager either. Just me, my studio and hopefully an ear for a tune!)

Don't let it get to you... think of it this way. If you sucked they wouldn't have bothered to even contact you. They would have played it for the rest of the staff and made a joke about it then threw it out. Instead they took the time to draft a letter stating they have no place for the songs at this time. (at this moment?)

In other words they think the material is decent quality, but it dosen't meet their current needs. They sent the letter more or less to acknowledge you. Obviously you hold the respect (as a capable musician) of someone there or you'd have just been ignored.

So I say congrats on the small step...

- Tanlith -

7string said:
I used to get them all the time... from my EX-WIFE!!!! Ok, I'll stop... ;)

Hey!!! I used to get them from your ex-wife too!!!!!

(ok - just kidding - )

;) :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Hey all thanks for the feedback! Very encouraging. I was thinking about burning a big bag of CD's and going down to London for the day and hitting all the addresses I can fit into daylight hours... Or calling them up and asking for feedback. You guys really think that the fact they sent a letter means it wasnt rejecteed outright? Or you think SawkenDotCom has it right with the bang in the player, give it 30 secs and then print out a formal rejection letter and add to the pile... I kinda cant decide which is more likley. Guess I dont know the industry at all yet.

Oh and Mo-kay - Im gonna try that idea of writing 'requested material' on the envelope. Why not - if nothing else works... right?

At least im trying to DO something! I feel like part of a special club! heh heh. I have to say everytime I get a big NO i try to keep positive with my latest demo that im currently recording and usually i think 'well this is better anyway. Wait till they hear this!' Self deception!? Hope i never think 'whats the point?' and stop trying! That would be baaaad.

Anywayz, ive rambled long enough. Thanks all!

Back