Going cheap, a big no no!

Go and read all my posts. I was addressing an issue and quite frankly checking how many people will play on age, just as you have. If anybody wants some respect I will give them a public apology if I did anything to disrespect them that didn't come from them disrespecting me to start with. I will even apologise for this message but please don't go on about dropping out of school not that that message said knowledge ALONE not knowledge is pointless. I am a top student I wont drop out of school it is pointless. I am going into a career as a sound engineer which kind of requires me finishing school and going to study at a collage or university.

I DID read ALL of your and, all the other posts. I am still of the opinion that you think you know way more than you do. IE: just a punk kid that wants to show off what he thinks he knows to a bunch of others that DO know. You may very well know more about recording et-al than I do but I'm 47 years old and you simply can't replace life experience with knowledge. Learn to respect your elders AND betters. Think of this forum as a pyramid structure with the most respected members at the top and noobs to the forum at the bottom. To climb the ladder up the pyramid, you must have the one above you help you up. Piss them off and you will never climb any higher. Sounds kinda like life in general, doesn't it?

Wow, why did I never see this thread before!? I would fit in perfectly :p

I "went cheap" for a lot of things, but in a different way... buying used gear off ebay meant I could get fairly decent stuff that I would never have otherwise been able to afford in order to get me going with recording. Second hand gear depreciates a lot more slowly - this meant I could try things out and sell on the gear I didn't need without a making a loss. Several times I bought an interface, got a bit of use out of it, and then sold it on for the same price I bought it for (by which time I would have enough cash together to add in to get a better one).

It was only once I had settled into things and gathered some knowledge/understanding/experience, I could then start to make some more costly investments; Sonar, some new mics, and recently a new pair of monitors. If I had jumped straight into it at the start and tried to buy everything from new, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford even the cheapest Behringer gear.

As for Behringer gear itself... there are a few units (mainly the older ones) that I don't mind in specific situations; the ADA8000 and the original digital Ultracurve being two of them. The majority of the newer stuff is fairly naff though I'm sure there are a few bargain gems hiding in their product range somewhere! The newer Ultracurve isn't too bad either (DEQ2496). I've found the quality isn't altogether bad, its just it is fairly hit-and-miss... you either get a unit that works really well, or you get one that fails within a few months. So its not all that bad, you just have to be careful :)

Just as an observation: I have used many many Behringer mixers, yet I've never ever once come across one that didn't have bent or scratchy faders (including one that I unwrapped new out of a sealed box), and I've come across very few that (after a few months of use) still had a fully working set of faders and pots.

my 1604 is a few years old and the faders are in perfect shape, all the channels work and there is no scratchiness...I have a little 802, works perfectly as well

guess I must have been lucky

Back