Going cheap, a big no no!

Jean-Pierre

This is one thing I can't understand, if you intend to do something properly why go cheap.

I have seen in both live and recording. People will rather buy that cheap Behringer instead of the soundcraft that will do the job better and have to replace the behringer in 2-3 years opposed to the Soundcraft that would last nearly 10(live sound). I have just started dabbling in recording but so far I am seeing the same thing. Wares opposed to buying the software, 'best cheap reverb'- do yourself a favour and save up for a good lexicon processor, less expensive software compared to the top of the range.

If you can't afford something make a plan to get the money together don't take the cheaper alternative. There is a ton of recordings out there that just plain suck because of incompetent recording engineers (if that is what it should be called) with rubbish equipment.

easy to say but for some people it's a struggle to get enough money to buy even cheap gear. For many it's either buy cheap or not at all.

I don't think I agree that you should wait and not buy anything until you can buy something expensive if that means waiting 3 or 4 years or maybe not getting anything ever as bills keep hitting your savings. That's 3 or 4 years (or forever) that you could be learning.

Cheap is better than nothing if that's all you can afford.

There is a ton of recordings out there that just plain suck because of incompetent recording engineers (if that is what it should be called) with rubbish equipment.
The key term is "incompetent recording engineers" ....... there are also plenty of examples of very good recordings made with rubbish equipment but the engineer knew what he was doing.
Any of the good engineers at this board ( there are many) could do a good recording with all Behringer gear. It wouldn't be their preference but they could do it because they know how to use the gear to it's fullest potential. I've heard plenty of total crap done on very nice gear but the person using it didn't have a clue.

+1

buy what you can afford...learn how to use it...upgrade when you're ready

Cant stand gear snobs...seen it in motorcycling, seen it in boarding..all the gear no idea

and behri mixers are not total crap...not for the home recording enthusiast..oh thats what this website is :rolleyes:

I worldly 16 year old..well I guess we all were 16 at some point

I must say I am new to recording, but as a live engineer I can do much more with a Midas legend 3000 that has a 4 band parametric eq than what I can do with a behringer that has a 3 band sweep type eq. The added quality of the eq also makes a difference. I am sure that with recording the same applies.

Knowledge is key, and you can get great results using gear lots of people would consider crap - as long as it's Scottish!.

I worldly 16 year old..well I guess we all were 16 at some point

Don't judge age.

I understand your statement that it depends on the recording engineer but the fact remains that even the recording engineers experience and knowledge (since knowledge alone is pointless) is limited by the quality of their input source. If you have bad effects the recording engineer can't make it sound any better.

Last edited:
I must say I am new to recording, but as a live engineer I can do much more with a Midas legend 3000 that has a 4 band parametric eq than what I can do with a behringer that has a 3 band sweep type eq. The added quality of the eq also makes a difference. I am sure that with recording the same applies.

really?

many home recorders rely on software as well as hardware and have access to processes that you cant in a live situation..

Don't judge age.

I understand your statement that it depends on the recording engineer but the fact remains that even the recording engineers experience and knowledge (since knowledge alone is pointless) is limited by the quality of their input source. If you have bad effects the recording engineer can't make it sound any better.

I'll judge age if I wish..you are making typically rash statements for one your age and/or experience

are you paying for your gear out of your own pocket? Id be interested to hear where a 16 year old gets the cash for top gear and effects... do you have a mortgage? do you have a family to feed? a car to run? is this just fun? a hobby? kids to put through school? etc etc etc variables that effect the amount of disposable income older people have

and behringer still make good mixers :)

and behringer still make good mixers :)

I can't agree on that. The type of preamps make a difference (a big one in recording if I am not mistaken), I know that behringer have noisy preamps.

No I happen to have no need to buy my own equipment. I have access to a full studio, I see no point but very soon I will start wanting my own equipment and it will be digidesign.

I can't agree on that. The type of preamps make a difference (a big one in recording if I am not mistaken), I know that behringer have noisy preamps.

No I happen to have no need to buy my own equipment. I have access to a full studio, I see no point but very soon I will start wanting my own equipment and it will be digidesign.

Where did you get your information that Behringer have noisy pre amps?

from the net?

from the folks at the studio?

or from ones you own?

I have two...all but silent, work perfectly, Ill only get rid of them if they fail to work..

and you have access to a full studio so you can go on about buying cheap gear...you haven't actually bought anything with your own money?

yeah you buy digidesign, only digidesign..I hate to be hard on you but grow up son :rolleyes:

Yes from behringers I have used and still used up until last week, then its onboard graphic eq blew and it got replaced (it was brand new 2 years ago, talk about top quality) . The fact remains cheap equipment will limit you in the long run. Why bother with it to start with.

Yes from behringers I have used and still used up until last week, then its onboard graphic eq blew and it got replaced (it was brand new 2 years ago, talk about top quality) . The fact remains cheap equipment will limit you in the long run. Why bother with it to start with.

because its all some can afford..geddit?

and these behris..you owned them or they were at that fabulous studio you have access to?

(thanks for the equipment list you pm'd me lol)

I hope you told the owners your views..I mean why on earth did they buy behris..you should have pointed out two years ago when you were 14 lol

I did point out my view and they are replacing it with Yamaha. Apparently they don't make the same mistake twice. Save up for quality.

I did point out my view and they are replacing it with Yamaha. Apparently they don't make the same mistake twice. Save up for quality.

so some kid tells a studio owner what mixers they should buy?

seriously you're too funny

you save up for digidesgn the rest of us will just use the appropriate equipment at the appropriate time

While I agree that ultimately the engineer is the most important tool in the studio (pun intended) I have to disagree with anyone pushing Berhinger. I have had the misfortune of using their mixers on occasion over the years and I wouldn't want to use one for live sound reinforcement at a childrens birthday party much less for commercial or semi-pro recording.

I would rather find a used Mackie soaked in cat piss then buy a brand new Berhri.

Listen, I hate to be rude, but you're a 16 year old new member trotting out an old truism like it's some new revelation and then coming off as kind of snobbish about it, so...

You're a live engineer, huh? How many years have you been engineering? What are some of the bands you've worked with? How many hours of experience do you have under your belt? How much time have you logged with that Midas, and how much with a Behringer board?

Now, I think what everyone else is, quite rightly, pointing out here, is the "quality" of the gear matters a heck of a lot less than whether or not you know what to do with it. A guy who has no clue what to do with a 4-band parametric EQ is going to sound like crap no matter how much the EQ cost, while a guy working on even the cheapest 4-band EQ who has a great ear, is knowledgable on how to use EQ, and has had enough experience with the particular unit in question to know how it responds will wipe the floor with the first guy every time.

Yes, all else equal, better gear is going to give you better results. However, in the real world not all else IS going to be equal. And furthermore, "better" and "more expensive" are not necessarily the synonyms. There's a lot of very expensive microphones out there, but more guitar recordings have been made with SM57s than any other microphone simply because it lends itself so well to the job.

Hell, I started recording in college working on a laptop that couldn't track more than a minute of audio at a time, first with one of those old school computer mics and then with a Radio Shack SM57 knockoff and a XLR-1/8" adaptor, straight into the soundcard. My setup sucked, but I learned a ton, made a few ok recordings, and when I COULD afford better gear, had a pretty good idea what to do with it. It's not as black and white as you're making it out to be.

While I agree that ultimately the engineer is the most important tool in the studio (pun intended) I have to disagree with anyone pushing Berhinger. I have had the misfortune of using their mixers on occasion over the years and I wouldn't want to use one for live sound reinforcement at a childrens birthday party much less for commercial or semi-pro recording.

I would rather find a used Mackie soaked in cat piss then buy a brand new Berhri.

good for you

I'm not pushing behringer Im saying I have no trouble with the two I own...but thanks for sharing

I neither record commercially or semi pro....or provide music for childrens parties come to think of it..so I should be OK

Oh I didn't buy them new either

Listen, I hate to be rude, but you're a 16 year old new member trotting out an old truism like it's some new revelation and then coming off as kind of snobbish about it, so...

You're a live engineer, huh? How many years have you been engineering? What are some of the bands you've worked with? How many hours of experience do you have under your belt? How much time have you logged with that Midas, and how much with a Behringer board?

Now, I think what everyone else is, quite rightly, pointing out here, is the "quality" of the gear matters a heck of a lot less than whether or not you know what to do with it. A guy who has no clue what to do with a 4-band parametric EQ is going to sound like crap no matter how much the EQ cost, while a guy working on even the cheapest 4-band EQ who has a great ear, is knowledgable on how to use EQ, and has had enough experience with the particular unit in question to know how it responds will wipe the floor with the first guy every time.

Yes, all else equal, better gear is going to give you better results. However, in the real world not all else IS going to be equal. And furthermore, "better" and "more expensive" are not necessarily the synonyms. There's a lot of very expensive microphones out there, but more guitar recordings have been made with SM57s than any other microphone simply because it lends itself so well to the job.

Hell, I started recording in college working on a laptop that couldn't track more than a minute of audio at a time, first with one of those old school computer mics and then with a Radio Shack SM57 knockoff and a XLR-1/8" adaptor, straight into the soundcard. My setup sucked, but I learned a ton, made a few ok recordings, and when I COULD afford better gear, had a pretty good idea what to do with it. It's not as black and white as you're making it out to be.

eh thats what I meant to say...lol

for the record..and Im still not pushing them..Im saying in this forums context they have a place..heres the results of two polls on this very website

Poll 1 What do you think about Behringer products?

40.55% Great quality and value for money!

33.29% Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

12.15% Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

14.00% I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

757 voters

Poll 2 Behringer stuff, a jem or crap?

30.77% Behringer is great, I love their products!

40.45% Behringer is so so

17.87% Behringer sucks, don't ever buy from them

10.92% Don't care / do a search, lazy ass / don't own Behringer stuff

403 Voters

stupid homerecorders on a home recording site, they'll never sound commercial, semi pro, pro, children partyish ;)

(would you guess I studied stats? :) )

Hell, I started recording in college working on a laptop that couldn't track more than a minute of audio at a time, first with one of those old school computer mics and then with a Radio Shack SM57 knockoff and a XLR-1/8" adaptor, straight into the soundcard.
Wow, they had digital audio when you started... Noob ;)

Back