Goddamn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therein lies the problem. Most other countries in the world don't have the right to bear arms enshrined in their laws, nor do they have an enormously vocal, powerful and financially and politically potent faction ensuring that firearms will remain in public hands. I disagree that it can't be fixed. I truly believe that most Americans, if they could be wholly guaranteed of the fact, would jump at the prospect of guns being removed from their society.
Yes, if there was an iron clad guarantee that we don't need guns, then most people would probably give them up. Most, many, but not all. There will always be the guntards that demand, dare you to pry it from their cold dead hands. There are doomsday constitutionalist morons stockpiling guns for when the liberal gay-loving government comes to take their freedoms away. They're all sick morons as far as I'm concerned. One person with a gun is one too many when no one else has any. There's the conundrum. I hate guns. I hate gun culture, gun society, gun nuts, hate it all. But I have a few because I fucking have to, and I'll use them if I have to. I don't celebrate it. I don't show them off. I'm not a member of the NRA. I don't wear Smith and Wesson t-shirts. You'll never even know I have one. It's like the old saying, "you don't take a knife to a gun fight". Well, america is a gun fight.

just my opinions, of course.

Gun death rates in the US have been falling for many decades, with a couple of temporary reversals like the cocaine/gang wars of the 80s. If rates continue to fall according to the current trend they will be in line with Europe's in a couple of decades (which, of course, is not soon enough). The violence is definitely a bad thing but I think it's important to look at all the information, not just what's spoon fed to us by the news.

Yes, if there was an iron clad guarantee that we don't need guns, then most people would probably give them up. Most, many, but not all. There will always be the guntards that demand, dare you to pry it from their cold dead hands. There are doomsday constitutionalist morons stockpiling guns for when the liberal gay-loving government comes to take their freedoms away. They're all sick morons as far as I'm concerned. One person with a gun is one too many when no one else has any. There's the conundrum. I hate guns. I hate gun culture, gun society, gun nuts, hate it all. But I have a few because I fucking have to, and I'll use them if I have to. I don't celebrate it. I don't show them off. I'm not a member of the NRA. I don't wear Smith and Wesson t-shirts. You'll never even know I have one. It's like the old saying, "you don't take a knife to a gun fight". Well, america is a gun fight.

just my opinions, of course.

Well, that's a sane response to your situation, if not an idealistic one. I count myself lucky that I don't have to deal with it.

I have a deep-seated fear that the British and Europeans might utterly give over their sovereignty to America. We are dealing with a horrifying legacy in the middle east where our one-time leader Tony Blair went along with the American WMD lie that justified the war in Iraq. None were ever found. The region is a hell-hole, now.

Lol for real. Holding pretty steady for 15 years.

If this was a stock graph, it would be pretty safe to play some options.

SDT-2013-05-gun-crime-1-2.png

I love guns. I love to skeet shoot, target practice with pistols and high powered rifles. There is nothing wrong with guns. Insane idiots are the problem

That's not holding steady, that's nearly a 50% drop in only fifteen (correction: twenty-five) years. It's more accurate to say that homicide rates are about what they were a century ago, perhaps because during the 80s the CIA caused a huge war to break out in the inner cities and it took a decade or so to recover, and a reverse trend also occurred during Prohibition. Without those two big reverses we might well have similar rates to Europe. We're heading that way regardless of the reverses.

Last edited:

Overall though, a downward trend. (If the data is accurate)

If that was a personal income graph, with a trend like that, one would have serious cause for alarm.

Wow, that's misleading. Sticking a hand-gun related comment on a graph which isn't actually comprised of handgun related murders.

They use acts like this to "talk about it". It "opens a new conversation" about gun control. They don't care. If they cared they could just make it harder for these people with belligerent histories to buy guns. Everyone seems to have trouble finding the middle ground of reason. Gun nuts want more guns because they're fucking nuts, anti-gun wussies want no one to have guns. The problem with no guns is the bad guys don't care about the laws or rules. They will still have all the guns they want.

Greg, I agree that bad guys don't care about laws or rules. But... if normal citizens don't have guns, bad guys won't need to use them either. If you couple this with harsh penalties for anyone caught with a gun your bad guys go back to using bats and knives.

Saying that, there's so many guns floating around in your society it would take decades to get any effective form of control into place even if you started tomorrow

This is one whacked ass country.

The profundity of this statement is just uber-galactic! I've only been away a short while, but the depth of your personal growth is made evident and clear with these six well-thought words. I always knew that you'd grow up to be one of the noted intellects and "thinkers" of our age, but I had no idea that you would develop and manifest your true, inevitable potentials in such a short period of time!

Whether one appreciates it or not, I guess this just proves out Sheldon's theory regarding "reclined, dormant intelligence." In his, and Hawking's theriom, they conc;uded that, "an individual's static intelligence level is not necessarily dependent on progressive or practical input, but is, regardless of age or exposure, active and present upon demand when/if a subject or conversation activates a relevant sensory impulse."

More simply stated, an individual possessing keen intellectual potential needn't rely exclusively on a certain age or experience level to trigger a cerebral awakening. Exposure to a related thought or idea may be all that is needed to perpetuate the cascade of higher reasoning, earlier than what would be considered to be the "normal"

Bottom line is that you have apparently had your "usable advanced intelligence" trigger pulled by virtue of some recent experience or exposure to relevant stimuli. The door is open, Gerg; keep your eyes and ears open to those things that can take you higher! All joking aside, welcome to the "Smart Guy Club!" ;)

Greg, I agree that bad guys don't care about laws or rules. But... if normal citizens don't have guns, bad guys won't need to use them either. If you couple this with harsh penalties for anyone caught with a gun your bad guys go back to using bats and knives.

:laughings:

You silly naive boy!

The profundity of this statement is just uber-galactic! I've only been away a short while, but the depth of your personal growth is made evident and clear with these six well-thought words. I always knew that you'd grow up to be one of the noted intellects and "thinkers" of our age, but I had no idea that you would develop and manifest your true, inevitable potentials in such a short period of time!

Whether one appreciates it or not, I guess this just proves out Sheldon's theory regarding "reclined, dormant intelligence." In his, and Hawking's theriom, they conc;uded that, "an individual's static intelligence level is not necessarily dependent on progressive or practical input, but is, regardless of age or exposure, active and present upon demand when/if a subject or conversation activates a relevant sensory impulse."

More simply stated, an individual possessing keen intellectual potential needn't rely exclusively on a certain age or experience level to trigger a cerebral awakening. Exposure to a related thought or idea may be all that is needed to perpetuate the cascade of higher reasoning, earlier than what would be considered to be the "normal"

Bottom line is that you have apparently had your "usable advanced intelligence" trigger pulled by virtue of some recent experience or exposure to relevant stimuli. The door is open, Gerg; keep your eyes and ears open to those things that can take you higher! All joking aside, welcome to the "Smart Guy Club!" ;)

Lol. That was pretty funny. You seem to have made progress yourself. Did you stop wearing gas station sunglasses in the house or something? Did you finally stop riding those hideous harleys and stop watching wrestling? :cool:;)

The truth is I've always felt this way. I just don't often waste my real opinions on you mongoloids. :)

Its based in fact, Dude. You're more likely to get shot if you carry a gun!

Especially if you don't know how to use it or are afraid of using it.

But really, logic would seem to dictate, if someone has a gun, you are more likely to shoot that person than one without. But I would also think, if a person with a gun came to do me harm, I would be quicker to shoot him/her (let's be equal here) first as the threat is higher. So, yea that stat shouldn't be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back