Gibson Pickups

Believe it or not, most LP's from the past several decades are chambered, or at least weight relieved. I don't know for sure if they make a true solid-body anymore. Even the Customs are chambered. The new "Standard" is heavily chambered. One of the selling points of the LP I chose is that it's only swiss cheesed a little. It's made to pre-chambering specs. Supposedly....

It feels heavier and more solid than new Standards.

Believe it or not, most LP's from the past several decades are chambered, or at least weight relieved. I don't know for sure if they make a true solid-body anymore. Even the Customs are chambered. The new "Standard" is heavily chambered. One of the selling points of the LP I chose is that it's only swiss cheesed a little. It's made to pre-chambering specs. Supposedly....

It feels heavier and more solid than new Standards.

Yep, pre 2007 are swiss cheesed, some late 2006's are chambered, mine's one of the last swiss cheese standards.

There are three or four 59's.

Yeah, when I looked the p'ups up(on duncan's site, and elsewhere) there were more than one "59" pickup listed. The manufacturer of the guit's site just says "59". No more specifics than that.....which is, well, confusing, not very specific/informative.

I'm not knowledgable on p'ups, and as well not really concerned, have no desire or intention on changing the guit. I was just curious.

It is kind of nice to know what you've got, though...you know?

Yeah, when I looked the p'ups up(on duncan's site, and elsewhere) there were more than one "59" pickup listed. The manufacturer of the guit's site just says "59". No more specifics than that.....which is, well, confusing, not very specific/informative.

I'm not knowledgable on p'ups, and as well not really concerned, have no desire or intention on changing the guit. I was just curious.

It is kind of nice to know what you've got, though...you know?

The 59 is a cool pickup, I like it and SD's custom custom. :)

Nope, can't be bothered but there's a custom 59 and a little 59.

The Little 59 is a single-coil sized humbucker. I think they make 2 Little 59s, one for strat, one for tele.

I've got one for a tele, just no tele I want to put it in yet. One tele has custom shops, and the other has Texas Specials. I like 'em both, so right now the little 59 is just sitting here. I wish somebody had a little 59 for strat (or a regular 59 for bridge) that they wanted to trade for.

OK, now I'm getting ot.

So, has anyone ever compared the Gibson 57s to SD 59s?

The Little 59 is a single-coil sized humbucker. I think they make 2 Little 59s, one for strat, one for tele.

I've got one for a tele, just no tele I want to put it in yet. One tele has custom shops, and the other has Texas Specials. I like 'em both, so right now the little 59 is just sitting here. I wish somebody had a little 59 for strat (or a regular 59 for bridge) that they wanted to trade for.

OK, now I'm getting ot.

So, has anyone ever compared the Gibson 57s to SD 59s?

Here is the Little 59 Little '59™ for Strat SL59-1 - Seymour Duncan Medium Output

VP

Great answer, simple and complete. I have a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth and I'm planning to update the pickups so I think I will go for the 490R/498T based on your comments. Thanks.

I am ordering the same soon for my LP standard. I think they will be great, They seem to be right in the middle of the Gibson pickups, not too strong, not too weak (and noisy).

VP

I am ordering the same soon for my LP standard. I think they will be great, They seem to be right in the middle of the Gibson pickups, not too strong, not too weak (and noisy).

VP

I've never heard of anyone downgrading a Standard before, why not trade it in for a studio and let someone who knows wtf they are doing have the standard? :D

I've never heard of anyone downgrading a Standard before, why not trade it in for a studio and let someone who knows wtf they are doing have the standard? :D

Oh I didnt like the Burstbuckers at all, they were very noisy due to the deliberate unbalancing of the coil windings, you see, they are only completely "Humbuckers" when the number of coil wraps are exactly the same.
I also didnt like the low output. I like to play hard rock sometimes. The Burstbuckers had very little "Punch". So you see, to me it was very much an "Upgrade".
VP

PS: A customer of mine came to me with his Custom Shop 59 LP RI. He needed a less muddy sound, Out came the Burstbuckers and in went the P-94's, now she screams!

Note: Part of the reason for the 59 RI being muddy was the bridge pickup is a little farther away from the bridge than most LP's producing a bit more bass.

Oh I didnt like the Burstbuckers at all, they were very noisy due to the deliberate unbalancing of the coil windings, you see, they are only completely "Humbuckers" when the number of coil wraps are exactly the same.
I also didnt like the low output. I like to play hard rock sometimes. The Burstbuckers had very little "Punch". So you see, to me it was very much an "Upgrade".
VP

PS: A customer of mine came to me with his Custom Shop 59 LP RI. He needed a less muddy sound, Out came the Burstbuckers and in went the P-94's, now she screams!

Note: Part of the reason for the 59 RI being muddy was the bridge pickup is a little farther away from the bridge than most LP's producing a bit more bass.

Wow, Pete, you're just making all this crap up, ain't ya?

So what you are saying is you think the LP Studio sounds better and has more "punch" than the Standards?

I dunno wtf you are doing but whatever it is you are doing it wrong. :)

Back