Gibson Pickups

Wow, Pete, you're just making all this crap up, ain't ya?

So what you are saying is you think the LP Studio sounds better and has more "punch" than the Standards?

I dunno wtf you are doing but whatever it is you are doing it wrong. :)

I never mentioned one word about the LP Studio. Assume nothing.

VP

...you see, they are only completely "Humbuckers" when the number of coil wraps are exactly the same.
Classic. :wtf:
Victory Pete said:
Note: Part of the reason for the 59 RI being muddy was the bridge pickup is a little farther away from the bridge than most LP's producing a bit more bass.
That's a new one on me. You got some documentation of that?

Classic. :wtf:
That's a new one on me. You got some documentation of that?

Why do you think your neck pickup has so much output and is bassy, When I had my SG-62 and an SG standard back in the early 90's it occured to me. Both guitars had the same pickups and same strings, the SG-62 had less output and more treble, its bridge pickup was closer to the bridge. There is less string travel closer to the bridge therefore less travel through the pickups magnetic field resulting in less output. There are also more high frequency overtones.

VP

PS When I go shopping for a guitar I measure the distance from saddes to pickup. I have a 96 Floyd Rose Classic Strat with a SSH pickup arrangement. there is a massive space between the bridge and pickup, it is extremely muddy. I have a 500T in there to make it a bit more biting.

Why do you think...
I know all that. I've actually picked up a few things in thirty five years. I'm talking about this:

Victory Pete said:
Part of the reason for the 59 RI being muddy was the bridge pickup is a little farther away from the bridge than most LP's producing a bit more bass.
Where did you come up with that? As far as I know the R7, R8, and R9 LPs are all the same body size, pickup placement, etc. They are not "muddier" than a Standard LP. The bridge pups are not farther away from the bridge than "most LPs". Did you make that up or can you document it? Got a letter from Roger Ball?

I know all that. I've actually picked up a few things in thirty five years. I'm talking about this:

Where did you come up with that? As far as I know the R7, R8, and R9 LPs are all the same body size, pickup placement, etc. They are not "muddier" than a Standard LP. The bridge pups are not further away from the bridge than "most LPs". Did you make that up or can you document it? Got a letter from Roger Ball?

I measured the R9 when it was on the bench, I compared it to my LP Classic and LP Standard which are the same, the R9's pickup was about 1/4" or less further away from the saddle at the low E string. Incidently my ES-335 is similiar to the R9 but being all maple doent sound muddy, but it sure has output.
Dont be ashamed to learn something new. I was fascinated when I had this revelation about 20 years ago.

VP

Lets try this again, if this doesnt work I invite you to go to Gibsons site and compare for yourselves. The pictures arent working because the files are too big for the standard. Here you go, compare.

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS

VP

PS: If you have Windows 7 you can have both minimized and toggle them back and forth. I can do it so they are superimposed on each other and you can actually see the bridge moving, kind of like a "Blink Comparator"

No, that a small difference in distance between pickup and bridge can drastically change the way a guitar sounds.
That was a revelation to you? My earliest recollection of anything related to that was playing with an old Gibson archtop when I was about seven years old. I thought it was cool that the strings sounded different if you picked them near the bridge or up on the neck. I didn't know the physics but I knew the sounds. Playing electrics later in life that sort of thing was assumed - a no-brainer.

Anyway - you do realize your statement about R9s was a load of horseshit, right? The pups are not deliberately positioned farther from the bridge than on other LPs. Some of 'em just come out that way.

Back