Getuhgrip Update - HR Long Time member and his family could use his HR friends right

No, keep the updates coming. A story about a strong wife. I hope she doesn't give up on him. Go Cheri!!

For all the young ones out there.... find yourself a girl who knows how to commit for the long haul and marry her. Then treat her like a queen all her life. That way she won't mind so much to change your diapers when you're old, senile and drooling on yourself.

No, keep the updates coming. A story about a strong wife. I hope she doesn't give up on him. Go Cheri!!

For all the young ones out there.... find yourself a girl who knows how to commit for the long haul and marry her. Then treat her like a queen all her life. That way she won't mind so much to change your diapers when you're old, senile and drooling on yourself.
Amen to that, Chili, to all of it.

I can't help but try to keep up with these updates myself even though I never had much interaction with Grip in the past (that I can remember). All I can do is keep him and his family in my prayers but it sure is nice to see the positive progress when that does happen.

He's been hearing our music

Cheri Delong
April 5

4/4-4/5/2016 Tomorrow the psych nurse will see Rick and then we can hear what she says about the anti-anxiety medication. He has been off of it for about 6 days. I went to see him today and he was very tired. I barely got him to eat his dinner and then he was ready to sleep. I spoke with his barber tonight and she is going up this weekend to cut his hair and try to clean up his face a little more. I noticed that the redness is almost gone since they shaved him. The hair was really irritating his skin. We listened to some music and I read the note from Dan Thompson to him. I am headed to bed....have a good evening everyone.

Hey - he's hearing your tunes! For you wet-behind-the-ear (hah) newbies, Dan Thompson is dtb, who for a long time graced HR threads, jamfests and what all else with his presence and exquisite mandolin work. Dan is also a stroke survivor.

Cheri Delong
April 8

4/8/2016 I took Zay up to see Rick this afternoon and we didn't stay too long. Rick was very tired and wanted to take a nap after he got plenty of hugs and kisses. Zay said "He's not confused now". I think he was commenting on the fact that Rick talked normal and was not yelling. He seems to be staying more calm since they discontinued the Depakote medication. He ate well today and I will be seeing him again tomorrow. Please continue to send prayers. We don't know how this will end up but there is power in prayer.

Cheri Delong
April 8

4/8/2016 I took Zay up to see Rick this afternoon and we didn't stay too long. Rick was very tired and wanted to take a nap after he got plenty of hugs and kisses. Zay said "He's not confused now". I think he was commenting on the fact that Rick talked normal and was not yelling. He seems to be staying more calm since they discontinued the Depakote medication. He ate well today and I will be seeing him again tomorrow. Please continue to send prayers. We don't know how this will end up but there is power in prayer.

:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Cheri Delong

4/15/2016 I spent the afternoon at Social Security but I think I got the disability claim completely submitted. The lady was super helpful and patient. Thankfully I had more paperwork with me than I actually needed. Better to have too much than not enough. I went to see Rick when I finished there and they were in the rec room having pie for a patient's birthday. Then I went outside with some of them and visited until they were ready to go back in. Then it was off to pick up Zayden for our Friday night together. He was so tired he fell asleep in the car and then of course didn't want to lay down when we got home.

Dr. D sent the prescription for the steroid pack to Pathways and it will start at midnight tonight for 10 days. I am praying it makes a difference in his vision. He was in good spirits when I visited and was sitting by the nurse's station when I left.

I'm off to bed. Have a great weekend everyone.

Sounds like Rick is beginning to emerge!

Cheri Delong

4/16-17, 2016 Rick ate well yesterday and seemed to have a pretty good day. I did not go up but spent the afternoon with my sister belatedly celebrating her birthday. It was so nice to go somewhere and relax and not feel rushed.

I went up this afternoon and he was sitting in the wheelchair when I got there. The nurse had told me earlier that they had potato wedges for lunch and he ate all of them and wanted more so I stopped at KFC and got a large order to take up to him. We sat eating potato wedges and talking. I told him I was having a time selling the house and he asked if I had had any showings. Totally in the present during that conversation. He also mentioned Chuck and I had to explain that he was not here anymore. We had a long discussion about how his brain wasn't letting him remember some things but the therapists were working to make that better.

He kept his eyes open the whole time I was there and that was a big change from him keeping them closed all the time. He complains of his lower back hurting when he sits for a longer period of time. It may just be the way he is sitting even though they put a pillow behind him. All in all it was a good visit. Keep praying please and have a good evening.

I like KFC wedges!! :mad:

That's great news .... really, the best report on Rick to this point.
So glad to hear of improvement.

:):):)

Change in meds - some hopeful progress

Cheri Delong

5/30/2016 I haven't posted this week and have even been asked if Rick is okay. So here goes. They changed his medicine about a week ago and I hope it is the one that will work for him. He has become more calm and not doing the yelling/cursing that he was doing. He always became very agitated when they took him to the shower. The last 2 times (Friday and today) he has not yelled or cursed. He participated in his therapies today with no yelling and did what they told him to do. This is a huge improvement over a week ago. I went to therapy with him Tuesday and he was trying. They even said they could see him quads moving where he was trying. He is still very confused and we have no way of knowing what the outcome will be. Brain injuries are different with everyone. Please continue to pray for him. I'm not giving up....but I do have my bad days.

Our erstwhile mandolinist, Dan Thompson, suggested that Rick may slowly be coming to accept his circumstances. Dan is a stroke survivor and observed that when he came to accept the situation in which he had found himself, things became quite a lot better because he stopped fighting the fact of the stroke; he could focus more effectively on rehab. Dan's own progress, a result of years of hard work, has been remarkable. He has even returned to his music, albeit in a modified way. But he's doing it.

Thanks for the update Treeline.

Man this sucks on so many levels and layers. Such a great guy and nutty character. Having he and his loved ones ground through this slow torture mill day by day, minute by minute is just really sad..

It is another of what seems to be an endless chain of sobering reminders ( at least to me ) that this very simple "normal" life we have is a very fragile thing and your world can be turned upside down in a heartbeat...or the lack thereof.

Hug your kids...don't be an asshole...keep your affairs in order and let the people you love know how much you love them while your capable of doing so.

Back