Getuhgrip Update - HR Long Time member and his family could use his HR friends right

I think the move was disorienting for him and that has him pretty pissed off. It's got to be a rough thing when getting angry as hell is a sign that things are moving in the right direction. He's been on a ventilator so long that he needs to rehab his voice, and on a feeding tube so long that eating real food is a huge step forward.

Yeah, I think he's ready for a beer. Maybe a little Kentucky bourbon hanging beside that saline drip.

Oh man...

Cheri Delong

2/16/2016 I spent a couple hours with Rick today but he slept part of the time. At one point I just crawled up on the bed and laid there with him. He said "it feels so good for you to hold me". Nearly broke my heart. He has lost another 8 pounds since he got to Signature due to not really eating. They brought his tray in while I was there and he just said "no". He didn't want to eat. Hopefully they got him to eat some later. He told me "it is so confusing, half the time I don't even know what is going on".

I talked to the manager of the therapy department and he said they had Rick in a wheel chair and took him to the therapy room. They tried to get him to stand (with help) and support himself on the bar. He totally freaked out. He said everyone was watching him and he wanted out of there. He was yelling and cussing so loudly that they had to take him back to his room. This is not Rick.

His last day at Signature is Sunday and then they will discharge him. My insurance will not pay if he can not participate in therapy. And it doesn't cover long term (nursing home) care. So the nightmare just keeps getting darker. Thankfully I have family and friends that are trying to help me figure this out. I have no idea what to do next. We really need those prayer warriors.

Lots of agitation

Cheri Delong

2/21/2016 Rick seems to become agitated more today. He just wants to sleep and that concerns me. They brought his lunch in and he said he didn't want to eat. They said he ate some pudding at dinner. His nurse has been giving him plenty of cranberry juice since he seems to like that and will drink it. She said she has a call in to Dr. Dashti/Chris and they may start the tube feed up again so he is getting some kind of nutrients. I asked her to let the doctor know that I would like a call from them. I need to ask why the oncologist appointment. Some say this could be checking for a blood disorder. He seemed more withdrawn today, just very agitated. I am just so confused as to what the next steps are and what we will be able to accomplish. Thanks to everyone for all the prayers.

Off to a rehab facility for TBI

Cheri Delong

2/25/2016 I had a few calls today. One was from the chaplain at Norton telling me she had been in to see Rick and he asked her to call me and have me come to visit. Of course, I took off early from work and went up. Then I got a voice mail telling me that the hospital had worked out the waiver for our insurance to cover him at Pathway. They deal with brain injuries so I am praying this will be what Rick needs to be able to get home.

He still has a long road to go. He is not able to move on his own other than arms/hands and legs/feet and head. They increased his meds for depression . . . . We are moving to a facility that should help him advance as far as is possible for him. That is the scary part, not knowing how far he can progress. God has moved him this far, I have to believe He has a plan for him and let Him do His will. Keep praying please. This roller coaster ride is nowhere close to ending.

depression is the scary part...I hope he gets through this quick so I can give him a hard time again.

In the rehab place, ready to get down to business

Cheri Delong

2/28/2016 Rick was resting in bed when I went to see him today. He was tired and didn't really want interaction but I kept him awake and talking for about a half hour. He said he was thirsty so I got his ice water and he drank about 3 full cups. He got a little agitated but not as much as yesterday. Tomorrow will be the real test as he will actually start having to do the therapy. He got there late Friday night so he has had a couple days to rest up and get acclimated to the new environment. Please pray that he works with them and they begin to make some progress. I really need to see something positive.

It's bizarre, we've been HR buds for years but we never have actually met each other in person. I had hit him up when he was recovering from the first aneurism about 6 months ago I'm guessing. We'd never actually talked on the phone until then... man we rapped for at least a half an hour and he was really grateful to be alive and dodging the blind guy bullet..was rapping about getting back to work and that we'd hook up for burgers next time he was in LA...then this shit...damn..life is fragile..

Prayers and good vibes heading out!

Been moved to a rehab facility and doing better

Rick has a TBI from the surgeon's fuckup. He has been having a pretty rough time with anger control and that's been messing with his rehab. Cheri moved him a couple of times and has found a rehab facility that understands TBI issues. Looks like he might be turning a corner here.

Cheri Delong

3/10 and 3/11 Rick seems to be eating better. He is eating almost 100% of his meals. That is a good thing, maybe he will gain some weight back. We are still waiting for his gastro doctor to fit him in since he is booked through March. He was up in a chair for about 5 hours today....another good thing. I will be going to see him tomorrow and I hope he is alert while I am there. Gets a little boring just watching him sleep. Keep the prayers going up please.

A little light needed

PM me for Cheri's (and Rick's) mailing address if you don't have it- they both could use a little "hey there" at the moment. They're trying to learn how to cope with TBI confusion issues - may, and probably will, get better but it's pretty rough at the moment.

Cheri Delong

3/14/2016 When I went in to see Rick today he started yelling and cursing. He is making progress but still has no concept of time. He wanted to know if I talked to his mom today and was upset when I said no. He told me I said I would when we talked earlier. For one thing, we didn't talk earlier and his mom has been dead for 3 years. He is still not with me yet and I just don't know if he ever will be. . . He does not have any concept of time yet and still thinks he has been up walking, showering,etc on his own. Keep praying please.....I am losing it slowly but surely.

Two forward, one back

Cheri Delong

3/16/2016 Rick didn't have a great day today. They had to cut his therapy short due to him ranting/yelling/cursing. They are increasing a mood med and maybe that will help. One of his friends went to see him after work and he said they had an okay visit but Rick told him he was going to pick up milk on his way home. He just is not with us yet. I pray that this will improve but we have no way of knowing at this time. Another friend he worked with is going up this weekend and shave him. I could have the barber come in and do it but I really think he will do better with someone he knows. I am so thankful he has friends that will take time for him. He still needs prayers please. Have a good evening and hug the ones you love.

Gonna be a long haul

Cheri Delong

3/27/2016 PM I went up to see Rick today and he flips back and forth between reality and confusion. Maybe the increased Depakote is going to help with this. I sure hope so. . . I talked with his nurse later and she said he ate all his dinner which is good. I did have him hold my hands today and pulled him up into a sitting position for a couple minutes twice. I didn't want to overdo it but I think I will start doing that with him each time I visit. It isn't much but better than nothing.

We talked about Southport and he seemed to be in the present during that conversation. But he also was talking and saying "Cheri can help with that". I asked him who he was talking to and he said "my mom". I had to explain that she wasn't there and that he was confused. He does seem to understand that his brain is messed up and that is why he is so confused. I stayed until he said he wanted to take a nap then I left and came on home.

Let's hope they find the right combination of meds and therapy. . . and lots of people contact will help.

Back