Getuhgrip Update - HR Long Time member and his family could use his HR friends right

Finally A Little Good News!

Cheri Delong

1/26/2016 A great day....Rick was up in a chair (with seat belts) for 2 hours today. They said his legs kept slipping and he was getting frustrated but he was out of the bed finally. His trach was plugged for 4 hours yesterday and for 8 hours today.
[ This means Rick must breathe on his own without assistance - T. edit ]They will continue to increase it by 4 hours each day. He is doing great on it. His oxygen level is staying high and his respirations are in the 80s. He had a surprise visit today. His grandson Blake came to see him. The whole time we were there Rick would reach up to touch Blake's arm or hold his hand. He couldn't take his eyes off of him. Blake's mom was with us and we left the room to let them have some time together. Rick was in high spirits, laughing and pointing fingers. He had his hand on my boob and I said "that is my boob" and he just squeezed. I said " and that is your grandson watching", then he just smiled.

They will continue to get him up in a chair each day and I really think that will bring his mood higher. If he can see some progress I think it will help him know that we can beat this. Blake told him that he won't be back until October but he plans to see him at our house. Rick just nodded and smiled. This visit from Blake was such a special thing for Rick. I think it made a big difference in Rick's frame of mind.. . . Thanks to everyone that has been praying....please don't stop.

That is really encouraging! Prayers and a ton of good vibes going out to brother Rick from all of his bros here at HR.com

More Good News - Getuhgrip still has his cranky humor

Cheri Delong

1/27/2016 The speech therapist was with Rick when I got there today and she said he had been talking quite a bit. I told her that his grandson had visited him last night and she asked Rick what his name was. He just looked at her. I said "tell her his name". He looked at me and said "You could help a little too".

I told her Blake's name and Rick said he was exhausted. She left and . . . I sat and talked to Rick for a while. I told him that speech therapist was not one of my favorite people. He looked at me and said "Don't get us in trouble". Oh yeah, Rick is totally there. He knows his wife and was worried I would say something. I assured him that I only voiced that to him and would never say anything to her. But he repeated it again, just to be sure I guess.

His trach is being plugged for 12 hours today and he is doing fine. . . . He was so tired but when you haven't talked for almost 3 months just using your voice can wear you out. I am going to check on the swallow study tomorrow to see when they will start that. Things are moving in the right direction finally.

Starting to eat

Cheri Delong

1/28/2016 Things are still progressing. Rick had the swallow study today and did great. He has trouble swallowing thin liquids so they have to be thickened to nectar consistency. He was served a meal tonight but the nurse said he did not eat anything. That part I don't understand. I know he is not using his right hand/arm but he could use his left. When I was there I said something about him getting actual food tonight and he just shrugged, like "no big deal". I really thought he would anxious to eat something. His nurse, Nick, said he would try to work with him at breakfast, explain that he needs to eat to get rid of the feeding tube and build his strength up. Now that Rick is more alert and able to talk he is getting more frustrated. This journey is going to get rocky, I do believe. He only sat up for about an hour today and told them the chair was uncomfortable so they put him back to bed. When I asked him about that he said he didn't remember telling them that.

I see quite a bit of confusion still and that is going to take time to overcome. But at least he is improving and hopefully we can get him eating. I am taking Zayden up to see him tomorrow. . . . Anyone that can go up and see him, please do. I think it will help motivate him. Thanks as always to so many.

Breathing on his own now

Cheri Delong

2/1/2016 Okay, the trach has been taken out. One step closer to rehab. I was so excited when I found this out. He is becoming more aware every day. Today he asked me what happened, why he was in the hospital. I don't think he has any idea how long he has been there and I am not ready to tell him yet. He still has moments of total confusion but he realizes he is confused. Now, the next step is to get him off the feeding tube. I told him he has to eat even if it tastes like crap. He told me "it probably will taste like crap". But while I was there he drank 4 small orange juices and ate a breakfast bar I had in my purse. Things are moving forward and I thank everyone that is still sending prayers.

Good news - off ventilator, eating real food, getting pissed off

Just a quick update - I'll post some more of Cheri's notes later. But according to her facebook posts, Rick is becoming more aware of his surroundings, is developing an appetite, is off the ventilator, and basically can't believe at the moment how he ended up fucked over this badly. He's trying to piece together how he ended up in the hospital, but perhaps doesn't know how long he's actually been there. Still can't move well but they're hopeful he can get to a rehab facility and for a while, build strength and then go home from there.

It's gonna be a long road, but the good news is there is a road. Anything people can do to keep connections going with him will be pretty valuable. I have a mailing address I can share and for anyone in the Lexington, Kentucky area, we can get a visiting location for you. Thanks from his family.

Good job, Rick. Keep going. There's a right seat in an airplane waiting for you with a student in the left.

Getting ready to go to rehab - hopefully

Cheri Delong

2/3/2016 It looks like Rick will move to Signature Health Sunday or Monday. I have been assured that they will be more aggressive with therapies and he will not be laying in a bed all day. I explained this to him and I think he understood but he is still very confused.

Out of the hospital, in Rehab center, eating real food

Cheri Delong

2/10/2016 Rick ate about 90% of his dinner tonight and drank 4 cups of juice. They have shut off the tube feed. We will see how it goes.

Back