Fostex Model 80 1/4" 8-track QUESTIONS

Fostex M80 Service

Hi,

I've had my M80 (now seldom used since recording requirements forced me over to digital), complete with (150 model? - am currently away from studio) mixing desk, which is still used all the time, to lose the 'digital' sound before any sounds hit the computer.
I love this machine and don't intend to part with it, not unless offered silly money, but I have now noticed that track 1 has become muffled, i am guessing due to head alignment issues. Can anyone either advise a quick tweak or else a decent service shop in central London area?
I have a bunch of band tapes from the early 90s onward and would like to transfer them to WAV files in case anything happens to the tapes. I read somewhere about baking tapes, any ideas on that one, i mean, what age they would have to be before that became a possible necessity?

Great to read that others are enjoying these fantastic machines still! They beat the crap out of computers, just beautiful when all tracks are packed full, the lights are jumping and you are juggling the faders like an octopus on a mixdown!

Just to add, I will be using the machine for upcoming acoustic recordings, so it's not indefinitely mothballed, I just end up working alot now on sessions recorded at studios using comps.

Best

C.

Welcome!

Yes, I have heard some really nice recordings tracked on Fostex 1/4" 8-track machines (R8, Model 80).

Question: does it still record fine on track 1?

A few thoughts (assuming it records poorly as well):

1. because the tracks are relatively narrow, it is of extreme importance that the record/reproduce head is spotless. Edge tracks are where you are most likely to have oxide buildup. Get a good LED flashlight and a reading glass so you can get a real good look. You'd be surprised at how small a particle of foreign debris needs to be to reduce output to nil. Use 91% iso alcohol and try 100% cotton makeup remover pads instead of cotton swabs for the tape path cleaning. The makeup remover pads do a much better job of getting in the nooks and crannies.
  2. When is the last time you degaussed the 80 and what degausser are you using?
  3. While the 80 is reproducing, monitor track 1 and, if possible, apply slight upward pressure on the bottom edge of the tape between the erase and record/repro head. The idea here is to see if it is mechanical alignment issue (i.e. if the tape is not centered on the head and therefore off-track) and by apllying gentle and slight pressure upward (away from the face of the deck) you would be moving the tape closer to track 1. I'm thinking at this point that that is not the issue though as the guides are fixed on the 80 and you would have reproduce issues across all tracks with previously tracked material.
  4. How worn are the heads? Can you link us to any pictures of the heads?

Hi,

I have a bunch of band tapes from the early 90s onward and would like to transfer them to WAV files in case anything happens to the tapes. I read somewhere about baking tapes, any ideas on that one, i mean, what age they would have to be before that became a possible necessity?

Great to read that others are enjoying

C.

It's not the age of the tape but the formulation. I have Scotch tape from the 60s that still plays back fine. Check out the sticky shed thread here. If it is Ampex 4xx from 92 or before or Scotch 226 it is likely gone sticky. I'm not sure about Zonal.

"degaussed", i had to look that up! ;-) Yes, i was given a demagger when i got the machine and have frequently - not that i knew exactly how - demagged. Having now read the articles on the web, i may try it again a bit differently. The guy that sold me the machine said "switch it on well away from the machine, the make circular motions, taking it closer to the machine, going to the head but DON'T TOUCH THE HEAD!!! Then reverse motion and switch it off". The weirdest thing is, when you plug the demagger in, it makes a right loud buzzing noise in 'OFF' mode, but once you move it to the 'ON' position on the switch it has, it goes quiet! So... I've always used the 'ON' setting, but reading here http://www.taperecorder.co.uk/demagnetizing.htm it says that the demagger should be noisy!
I haven't had a chance to give the heads a really good clean, but when I do, using the usual cotton buds, head cleaner alcohol stuff - pink liquid that again came with machine, I'll also try the tooth-pick, business card techniques that people have mentioned on forums for stubborn dirt, as I think it probably is just dirt on track one that is the issue.

After reading about the tape baking, I'm a bit put off trying it for now. If I get track 1 running and the tapes play, I'll just get them transferred asap to WAV files on the comp, then invest in some fresh tapes for future recording. The first recordings were done in 1993 and I think the tapes were Ampex, though I'd need to double check.

Any pointers with any of this, I'm happy to hear what advice people have.

Thanks

Forgive the resurrection of an aging thread, but I'm very interested in the Fostex M-80, as I'd love an 8-track machine.

I can get one in supposedly great shape with a box of Quantegy 456 tape (some used and unused) for $175. Go for it or hold out for something else?

Go for it if it's local and you have a chance of testing it yourself. Highly recommend not to ship it or even buying it without inspection unless you trust the seller. It's a good machine, but if there are faults... it is difficult to find parts for or even find tech's that will do it for a reasonable price.

Go for it if it's local and you have a chance of testing it yourself. Highly recommend not to ship it or even buying it without inspection unless you trust the seller. It's a good machine, but if there are faults... it is difficult to find parts for or even find tech's that will do it for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the advice! After a few weeks of trying to arrange a day to meet I finally picked it up tonight. I got the M-80, Fostex 350 mixer (sans VU bridge, unfortunately), an 8 1/4" x 8 RCA snake, and 3 reels of barely used Quantegy 456 tape for $220.

I've been testing it out a bit and everything seems to work perfectly! Now I just need to figure out how to hook it all up so I can record/monitor at the same time (a bit of a novice when it comes to anything more complex than my Alesis Multimix). Anything else anyone thinks I might need to make this happen?

Woo!

Last edited:
about alignment tapes

You only need these expensive alignment tapes every once in a while so I guess a few users could share one and send it around? How about that, anyone willing to join in ... in my case it would have to be european though since sending it across teh pond would probably cost too much.

nobody seems to chime in ... I´m just starting on this myself and not sure at all if my advice are sound. Looking for a fitting mixing console - apparently, they don´t really make these inline devices anymore (not this size, anyway) so I´m looking either for a 2nd hand 8-track inline "mixer" or a new tentrack (SoundSpirit or something was recommended to me for less than 300 €) since I never record more than one or two tracks, I´d then use two tracks to record via a patchbay and eight to monitor.
Don´t know if this helps your situation, p_wats ... maybe someone more experienced would share his wisdom on this.

nobody seems to chime in ... I´m just starting on this myself and not sure at all if my advice are sound. Looking for a fitting mixing console - apparently, they don´t really make these inline devices anymore (not this size, anyway) so I´m looking either for a 2nd hand 8-track inline "mixer" or a new tentrack (SoundSpirit or something was recommended to me for less than 300 €) since I never record more than one or two tracks, I´d then use two tracks to record via a patchbay and eight to monitor.
Don´t know if this helps your situation, p_wats ... maybe someone more experienced would share his wisdom on this.

Thanks ClausRogge. My M-80 came with a Fostex 350 mixing board that will do the job for now, as it has input, direct-out and tape-in for each track, but I'd like to upgrade to a 450 or 812 (something with XLR inputs and meters for monitoring).

The only other issue is that a few of the meter lights on my M-80 aren't working, so I'll have to get a feel for the levels on some tracks (or get a better mixer with VU meters). I haven't been able to find a fix for the lights yet.

I also own a Fostex M80 but has a fault. The meters all light up fine when recording an input signal, but trying to play the tape back to listen to whats been taped results in no sound at all. Its like the machine hasnt recorded. Any ideas chaps?

I also own a Fostex M80 but has a fault. The meters all light up fine when recording an input signal, but trying to play the tape back to listen to whats been taped results in no sound at all. Its like the machine hasnt recorded. Any ideas chaps?

I ended up selling my M80 in favour of an R8 instead, but they are similar. How do you have your ins/outs hooked up?

The connections are...Output of CD player into a small mixer into the rear inputs of the Fostex. Meter levels show theres an input signal on the Fostex. Phono leads out of the output of the machine into another small mixer. On playback of the "recording" theres nothing.

The connections are...Output of CD player into a small mixer into the rear inputs of the Fostex. Meter levels show theres an input signal on the Fostex. Phono leads out of the output of the machine into another small mixer. On playback of the "recording" theres nothing.

To clarify, are you not hearing any sound, or not seeing any lights, or both?

There could be something wrong wrong with the outputs, I suppose, but I can't be sure without being there...

Are you getting a solid red light when recording or is it flashing? Also are the meters moving while playing back like there's something on there?

On playing back the Fostex theres no LEDs lighting up and no sound. When "recording" the record light is on steadily.

Back