Fostex Model 80 1/4" 8-track QUESTIONS

On playing back the Fostex theres no LEDs lighting up and no sound. When "recording" the record light is on steadily.

Are you sure it's actually recording though? Just because the meter lights are on and moving with the levels doesn't mean it's recording (could just be monitoring, etc.). Do you have the manual (it's available online in PDF format)?

Yes I have the manual. I am assigning the tracks to be recorded by pressing the corresponding buttons, and pressing "play" and "record" at the same time the LEDs flash like they should. Playback shows nothing on the tape.

Not sure what to suggest. If you are doing everything by the manual, have a solid red light and meter movement on the channel but not getting playback, I would check the seating on the channel cards. You have to open it up, pull the cards out and then re-seat them. I'm not sure where they are on the 80 but on the A8 they were at the bottom. So you had to open up the bottom to see them. It's just one thing to check, but it's strange if you get no playback on ANY channel.

Not sure what to suggest. If you are doing everything by the manual, have a solid red light and meter movement on the channel but not getting playback, I would check the seating on the channel cards. You have to open it up, pull the cards out and then re-seat them. I'm not sure where they are on the 80 but on the A8 they were at the bottom. So you had to open up the bottom to see them. It's just one thing to check, but it's strange if you get no playback on ANY channel.

OK Will try that.

Ha, had the same problem on my newly bought Model 80. Don't even know what the thing is there for. But it's a very nice machine, I like it a lot better than my R8 - better transport and warmer sound.

Hi, I was just given back my Fostex Model 80 after 15 years. I assume it works great because my friend is super anal about his equipment. But here is my question...All the RCA outs + ins on the back. Do you go
RCA out and then get 1/4 inch adapters to go into your mixer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks, Brandon

hello!
Nice to hear so many people enjoying the M80.
i just got one myself yesterday... everything seems ok but there's one little fault.
track one doesnt seem to record, but it plays back!
When recording I see metering on every channel, but then when playing back, nothing on track one. I turned the tape around to and actually what was track 8 is playing now on track 1.
Anyone knows what the problem could be?? I don't know exactly how the rec/play head works so i could be loose connection? faulty head? alignment?
thanks a lot, cant wait to have it fully working and start bouncing tracks to it!

Well, it's using the same head to do both record and playback, so that's something. If it can play back, it should be able to record. I'd double-check the sound and erase head to make sure they're clean, though. If that doesn't help, you might try re-seating the audio cards.

Back