Finding good Distortion

I have been using the PodXT since they came out. I have been able to get decent tone out of it, but it has always sounded artificial.

Just recently I picked up a B-52 tube amp, threw an sm57 in front of it, and got much better tone then I ever got with the PodXT. Now the PodXT makes a very handy effect processor in my effects loop on my amp. But I will never use it for direct recording when I have a decent amp.

Direct recording/amp modeling has its place, but I don't think it is possible to completely mimic the natural qualities of a mic in front of an amp.

An the "less gain is more" suggestion is one of the hardest to believe when you are looking for heavy tone, but it is very true. Double tracking a much lower gain guitar sounds way bigger/clearer than with the gain maxed out.

An the "less gain is more" suggestion is one of the hardest to believe when you are looking for heavy tone, but it is very true.

Sorry to pick :D, but please help this unbeliever. Post some comparative clips. I'm not a believer this is some universal truth.

Last edited:
I gave the Pocket Pod one final go before it goes back to the store tommorrow...The closest I came to the tone Im looking for is the 'Insane' effect, but it really doesnt have the power Im looking for, and I even tracked it twice. I keep thinking there is somthing im overlooking, cuz it sounds so weak. Even the effects for KillSwitchEngage are very weak.

I gave the Pocket Pod one final go before it goes back to the store tommorrow...The closest I came to the tone Im looking for is the 'Insane' effect, but it really doesnt have the power Im looking for, and I even tracked it twice. I keep thinking there is somthing im overlooking, cuz it sounds so weak. Even the effects for KillSwitchEngage are very weak.

Nope, the pocket pod didn't do it for me either 1 mainly because it has no Preramp that is why it sounds weak now if you get the 700 dollar rack mount Pod XT you may find that to be a much better processor but still cant match what a good warm tube amp can produce.

the best low bucks preamp/FX processor/amp simulator on the market in my humble opinion is the Behringer V-Amp Pro rack mount model. Between the distortion and the 70's brittish amp modeler is a very exceptionable distortion tone
the preamp also has a very good over drive and fuzz tone as well.
you may want to check one of those out.

I will 4 sure. And what is the diff between the V-amp rack and V-amp 2? I could only see a diff of 50$ less for v2..seemed the effects were the same..

Back