Finding good Distortion

12foot

Hey
To make a VERY long story short, Im recording with a Tascam 122L, Laptop, and Adobe Audition 3. Been through hell and back to get this recording gig goin. Been so close to giving up several times...
Im right now experimenting with a Digitech RP50 for amp emulation and distortion. The distortion SUKS. Guitar rig distortion SUKS. Every distortion Ive tried so far does (Im looking for a metal edge). Does anyone know how I can get good sounding distortion for recording direct to PC? Ive got the best sound so far using the distortion built into Adobe 3 applied to an acoustic. Thats not a good thing. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey
To make a VERY long story short, Im recording with a Tascam 122L, Laptop, and Adobe Audition 3. Been through hell and back to get this recording gig goin. Been so close to giving up several times...
Im right now experimenting with a Digitech RP50 for amp emulation and distortion. The distortion SUKS. Guitar rig distortion SUKS. Every distortion Ive tried so far does (Im looking for a metal edge). Does anyone know how I can get good sounding distortion for recording direct to PC? Ive got the best sound so far using the distortion built into Adobe 3 applied to an acoustic. Thats not a good thing. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey, welcome to the site. I know how you feel looking for the right tone. Gotta say, if you're getting close to what you want with the acoustic, why don't you use it? I use an RP150 myself, I usually start with a preset and tweak until I find what I'm looking for. One bit of advice that floats around here is to use less gain or distortion than you think you need when recording. The reasoning being what works for live is not the same as what works for recording.

I noticed you posted this twice, here and in Newbies, so I'll delete the other one. I also think you might get a better response in the Guitar forum. Would you like me to move this over there??

peace.

Thanks, that would be great...
And im finding the distortion really electronic. Not what Im tryin to for. What is the diff between the RP 50 or 150?

Thanks, that would be great...
And im finding the distortion really electronic. Not what Im tryin to for. What is the diff between the RP 50 or 150?

Not sure of all the differences, but the RP150 has a usb port for an a/d connection and allows a computer to control it. I don't use the a/d converter, but I do use their control app. It's nice to change parameters on a screen where you can see everything all at once rather than with LEDs on a small panel.

Hopefully others will jump in with better advice for finding the tone you want.

peace.

Ive always found Marshall distortions to be pretty good. Tube screamer pedals have a lot of howl to them, if you want a more sustained clear sound, but I prefer the marshall. Ive never liked the digitec stuff, apart from the original whammy, its sounds too thin, and has no carry or presence in a live situation, but thats just my experience.:)

How can't you find a half-decent metal distortion in GR3? All those heavy presets are over-blown in favour of metallers. Can you describe the sound you're after and provide a clip? Alot of 'heavy' sounds actually come from multi-tracked guitars.

Hi TelePaul..with the guitar rig3, I admit I truly havent experimented with every sound. I was having so much trouble using it as a plug in...i did get it working though. Ill let u know... working long hours lately...between that and my lady...so hard to find the time to experement.

I'd bypass the digitech and just go direct to the Tascam, and try out some other amp sims. Simuanalog, any of Nick Crow's amp sims, Dirthead, BTE's hi-gain plug Juicy 77, all of them are free. Try them all out and if none of them work, it's not like you're out any dough :-)

Hi TelePaul..with the guitar rig3, I admit I truly havent experimented with every sound. I was having so much trouble using it as a plug in...i did get it working though. Ill let u know... working long hours lately...between that and my lady...so hard to find the time to experement.

I hear that man! Software can be a bitch to get right at the best of times. What I would suggest is loading a high-gain preset, backing off a little on the drive, and adding a touch of reverb.

Sonic posted "consider posting your DI stems and let others reamp them for you."
What does that mean exactly?

Alot of 'heavy' sounds actually come from multi-tracked guitars.

Not only that... but I have found that the thickest/heaviest tones I find do not sound thick or heavy at all by themselves. It is always a good idea to check how the tone sounds in the context of the mix.

reamping...

record your Gtr output direct to a track

next, send that recorded track to an amp and record the amp or amp sim and speaker or impulse.

I dont own an amp...and wouldnt be able to use it where im livin anyway :( Is it even possible to get good distortion direct into PC without a mic and amp? Been messin with GT3 for hours with no luck..all very noisy.

I dont own an amp...and wouldnt be able to use it where im livin anyway :( Is it even possible to get good distortion direct into PC without a mic and amp? Been messin with GT3 for hours with no luck..all very noisy.

have a look at this stuff...

http://requietus.blogspot.com/

Ive have GTR in my sonar but never use it, I generally go for pod farm but some of these freebies (along with the other excellent freebie i posted in the other thread) have some pretty decent tones...none of that metallic noise that revalver and gtr have..

I think the SimulAnalog JCM900 is excellent...

Although Im not getting anywhere quick...I think I found the right place. Thanks everyone for the tips and help....and sadly SimulAnalog JCM900 isnt compatable with adobe audition

Last edited:
Although Im not getting anywhere quick...I think I found the right place. Thanks everyone for the tips and help....and sadly SimulAnalog JCM900 isnt compatable with adobe audition

It should be.... Audition supports VST plugins, which the Simulanalog suite is.

Back