Finding good Distortion

I know...but it comes up in the list of 'unsupported plugins' in Adobe. Think ive found a distortion that could work in GR3. Isnt mixen well with clear tone tracks though. And .....everytime I start Adobe and bring up my project, I have to go into GR and turn on the virtual amp and effects on each track ...sup with that?? Figured it would all save...

I know...but it comes up in the list of 'unsupported plugins' in Adobe. Think ive found a distortion that could work in GR3. Isnt mixen well with clear tone tracks though. And .....everytime I start Adobe and bring up my project, I have to go into GR and turn on the virtual amp and effects on each track ...sup with that?? Figured it would all save...

I saw a post on another forum where a sonar user was having exactly the same problem with GR3....:confused:

Well, I guess its ok if u want to play ur electric on a bus somewhere with head phones..or maybe through an amp. The digitech I had last week was half the price and twice the effects. I may just not be using it properly or somthing. It sounded very weak. Im assuming my tascam is a preamp of sorts, but its of no use. I had better sound from the POD using my acoustic (think cuz the pickup is powered by 9v) I dont friggen know. Even the cleartone effects were lamish. But again, I could be missen somthin....

First off, I've found that direct recording sounds one of two ways, electronic or overly processed. The PODs and the Boss VF1 (which I love the effects for) sound good direct... but they also sound very overly processed. Most anything else sounds electronic.

If you are getting an electronic sound, one thing you can do is cut your highs. I suggest cutting everything above about 6k down to a minimum of -16db. A low pass filter with the 3db down point at 6k would work well also. That will get rid of that sawtooth harshness sound that your ME50 puts out. You then can tweak the crap out of the other EQ settings, but you won't get the signal "smooth" sounding like you hear on regular recordings (think Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction or Metallica's And Justice for All).

To make a long story short, I ended up just miking and recording that way. What I do is use two microphones, a Shure SM57 or Audix I5 on one speaker and an Electrovoice ND467 on the other speaker. I have both mikes sitting perpendicular to the face of the cabinet and about 1.5 to 2" off center from the speaker's center. They sit a thumb's thickness away from the front of the cab. I then run those each into one of the channels on my ART TPS preamp to give it a good pre and some warmth, and then mix them down on a mixer about 50/50. I cut the highs on the SM57 and usually cut the lows just a tad on the Electrovoice. You can hear examples of this technique on my band's myspace site - Last Will from New Eagle, PA.

I know they've come a long way with the direct stuff, but it still just sounds very fake to me. One of the reasons that miking a real cab sounds so good is because you actually lose some detail through the speaker cone and again through the microphones. It basically smooths out some of the harshness that direct recording has. Also, a guitar speaker cabinet typically rolls off somewhere around 5k or 6k anyways, so you lose alot of that annoying ear piercing grit.

That's just my 2 cents.

Well, I guess its ok if u want to play ur electric on a bus somewhere with head phones..or maybe through an amp. The digitech I had last week was half the price and twice the effects. I may just not be using it properly or somthing. It sounded very weak. Im assuming my tascam is a preamp of sorts, but its of no use. I had better sound from the POD using my acoustic (think cuz the pickup is powered by 9v) I dont friggen know. Even the cleartone effects were lamish. But again, I could be missen somthin....
The pod is designed for recording, the digitech for live performance. Right there, you will notice that the pod is quieter (no hum or hiss) when plugged in. I had a couple different digitech pedals when I was just starting out because I didn't know know any better. Got rid of them after hearing my first recordings. Made tape hiss seem like nothing in comparison. There are a crap load of effects and amp and cab sims on a pod. Play around with it for awhile before you try to record. Get comfortable with it, and learn how to use the menus to dial in what you are looking for.

Then shitcan it and get a real amp and some good mics.

The pod is designed for recording, the digitech for live performance. Right there, you will notice that the pod is quieter (no hum or hiss) when plugged in. I had a couple different digitech pedals when I was just starting out because I didn't know know any better. Got rid of them after hearing my first recordings. Made tape hiss seem like nothing in comparison. There are a crap load of effects and amp and cab sims on a pod. Play around with it for awhile before you try to record. Get comfortable with it, and learn how to use the menus to dial in what you are looking for.

Then shitcan it and get a real amp and some good mics.

I've got the Digitech RP-150 and use it for all my electric guit parts. I never noticed any noise from it. Maybe they've cleaned up their act since your experience....

Do u record with it direct Chili?

Yes, I run the outs into my firewire mixer. I treat it like I put a mic in front of the cab. What ever effects I use gets recorded, no vst's or plugs. I don't change anything except EQ once I get it into the computer. Monitor with headphones. Family sleeping, no problems. :D

I suggest instead of sinking more & more money into eletronic gear that you invest in a decent small amp.You could probably get a decent used amp and a sm57 without spending too much.I've tried going direct into an amp simulator and in my opinion it just sounds harsh.I've tried going out of my digitech recording out and didn't like that either.

I'm probably just getting old but i like the simplicity of just miking an amp.I was experimenting yesterday and took the advice of many folks on these forums and turning down the gain made a huge improvement in the recorded tone.It really cleaned up the mudiness.I normally set my distortion to 85 (out of 99)and had turned down to 68 and it turned out a lot better.

Maybe try rolling down the gain on your amp simulators.You can probably get a good sound with a simulator if you work at it but in my opinion there's nothing better than a real amp.Bottom line is if you want to sound like your playing through an amp then play through an amp.

I suggest instead of sinking more & more money into eletronic gear that you invest in a decent small amp.You could probably get a decent used amp and a sm57 without spending too much.I've tried going direct into an amp simulator and in my opinion it just sounds harsh.I've tried going out of my digitech recording out and didn't like that either.

This sounds like good advice. I actually have a Marshall DSL401 (1 x 12 tube combo) and even that can be pretty loud. I'd love to own something like an Epiphone Valve Junior combo just for messing around with.

Its great isnt it? Ive been playing around with it for the last few days and love the sound coming from it. I've just had problems recording the sound-out. I've tried with Adobe Audition 3, Kristal and Ableton but all i get is the clean non simulated sound when the recording my guitar. Anyone know how to capture the effects on the audio out rather than audio in?

I used to be in the "PODxt sucks" brigade too - I still don't like em personaly but it is definitely possible to get nice tone direct. I use a Rocktron Prophesy, for me it beats the PODxt, Digitech GNX and Boss GTPro that I had previously - the Rocktron helps me to feel like I'm playing through an amp, especially for lead. I'm happy enough with it that I havent had GAS for any other piece of gear for the past year and a half (and that's saying something for me!). The one really cool thing about PODxt though (and I assume pocket POD) is the Monkey software - very user friendly. There are some guys who post here that know exactly how to get very professional tones out of these units (Farview is one). All it takes it the right setup and tweaking, you'd be well off doing a search for PODxt tone in this forum - there are some cool threads here from a while back.

Back