Females: What Mic Do You Use and What Genre are You In?

:-) YES!! I found me two microphones with the help of you men... I truly hope that both microphones will do for my strong and high pitch vocals.

1. Shure 58
2. MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone

You guys, the only thing that's making me anxious now is finding the audio interface... Yeah-yeah, I know...I am a pain in the butt (I'm learning so give me a break); I did wanted to get the M-Audio Firewire 410 with the external sound card, but I been reading a lot of negative reviews about it. What is a good interface that I can purchase for $300? Oh, I will like to also find an interface with the software such as "Reaper" because I am not intended to play any instruments of my own. Thanks! :-)

Oops, am I missing anything?? I know that I need to get my room together with acoustic panels, but I will get this done later (next month).

:-) YES!! I found me two microphones with the help of you men... I truly hope that both microphones will do for my strong and high pitch vocals.

1. Shure 58
2. MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone

You guys, the only thing that's making me anxious now is finding the audio interface... Yeah-yeah, I know...I am a pain in the butt (I'm learning so give me a break); I did wanted to get the M-Audio Firewire 410 with the external sound card, but I been reading a lot of negative reviews about it. What is a good interface that I can purchase for $300? Oh, I will like to also find an interface with the software such as "Reaper" because I am not intended to play any instruments of my own. Thanks! :-)

Oops, am I missing anything?? I know that I need to get my room together with acoustic panels, but I will get this done later (next month).

If you're doing just vocals, I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on an interface. You might want to consider a mid-level mic pre and a cheaper interface. You'll notice a much bigger improvement in sound with a better mic pre than you will with a better converter. I'm not sure what mic pre to consider for your price range. Here's a list of interfaces you might want to look at:

USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

Maybe start looking at around $130 and up...

You'll also need monitors if you're going to be doing your own mixing and some headphones. Headphones should be of a closed-back design so your playback track doesn't bleed into your mic. I use Sennheiser HD-202's. They sound great and cost about $30!!!!

Ah, wait, here's a mic pre you might consider. I've heard a lot of good things about this one (I should get one myself!!):

Studio Projects VTB1 | Sweetwater.com

peace,

Chili Thanks, you are such a sweetheart and I truly appreciate you all help; It looks like I will be getting the Studio Projects VTB1. One more question, what kind of recording software can I use with it? The reason I ask, is because I did not read any specific type of software that comes with the interface. What do one recommend? Anybody???

If you get the VTB-1, you'll still need an interface. I think the Presonus Audio Box USB might be good and it comes with a software package called Studio One, which should be all you need. You might even purchase the interface first, try it out and see if you get the results you want before spending more money on the VTB-1.

Just a thought.

for simple (and complicated) recordings Reaper is by far the most cost effective and comes with some very usable FX

Many interfaces come bundled with recording software, and whatever they come bundled with is usually fine for most recording purposes. I use and recommend Reaper, and others around will have heard me extolling its power, versatility, ease of use and economy. But, just like microphones, some people find different programs easier or harder to use, depending on how they think about things and how the program is written.

See: REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Many interfaces come bundled with recording software, and whatever they come bundled with is usually fine for most recording purposes. I use and recommend Reaper, and others around will have heard me extolling its power, versatility, ease of use and economy. But, just like microphones, some people find different programs easier or harder to use, depending on how they think about things and how the program is written.

See: REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Yeah, I am usually a quick learner in software, but I do not have the time to concentrate on reading a whole lot of materials (I go to college in my area). If I had the time, I would not mind reading. Is "Reaper" a difficult recording software to learn? Uhm, I know for a fact that it is a very expensive program to purchase alone (with my budget). snicker, snicker... What is a good audio interface firewire (with an external sound card) that I can buy using "Reaper" in the price ranges of $200-$300? I truly appreciate your suggestion, thank-you! :-)

Reaper is free to try and $40 to buy. The trial period never expires, so you could use for free it until you get up the cash.

What diggy_dude says ^^

I don't know of any interface that comes bundle with Reaper. Reaper, though, is only a 5mb download. I don't think Reaper is particularly difficult to learn. However, all recording programs have a learning curve to overcome . . . there's no avoiding that hurdle. Look at Presonus for firewire interface.

What diggy_dude says ^^

I don't know of any interface that comes bundle with Reaper. Reaper, though, is only a 5mb download. I don't think Reaper is particularly difficult to learn. However, all recording programs have a learning curve to overcome . . . there's no avoiding that hurdle. Look at Presonus for firewire interface.

Yes, this is true-- some software are more difficult to learn than others. I already check the Presonus interface for firewire and phantom power. I think I will go for the Firestudio Mobile or MOTU Ultralight. Well, thanks for trying anyway...

Last edited:
Reaper has tons of features that can be a bit intimidating, but I found it easier to retain what I learned with Reaper than with Ableton Live.

Reaper has tons of features that can be a bit intimidating, but I found it easier to retain what I learned with Reaper than with Ableton Live.

What is the address to the website? Reaper Enterprises Ltd, Web Site Designers ??? I want to know for the near future because I am making online purchases tommorrow for most of the equipments. The only thing that I cannot buy right now is the acoustic panels materials, but I think it will work out until next month. Anyway, my dear hubby probably thinks I am nuts... LOL No, I am joking because he knows my passion is singing. Right now, I am singing Karaoke until I get stuff together. Ugh, I can't barely hardly wait until I hear my true self... I made a song a couple months ago eager and find the right instrumental (beats) for it. I also have a good melody in mind for it too. I'm thinking more of a blues -N- jazzy type of theme. ;-) Well, I gotta go and do some courses assignments. CHOW!!! :-)

R&B n Jazz Lady,

I like the M-Audio preamps. You can get M-Audio interfaces with preamps included. I think they sound very good.

Here's the Solo, a firewire interface.

M-Audio FireWire Solo | Sweetwater.com

They have less expensive options if you can use USB

m-audio interface | Sweetwater.com

Reba Russell carries her own SM58 with her and she makes it walk and talk. This is not a high end microphone but there's nothing wrong with it. There are also less expensive mics that are very good. Check out my fifty dollar mic thread for many recommendations.

The condensers recommended are all well thought of. I use Superlux and Audio Technica condensers for vocals and general recording but I love and use dynamics all the time especially omnis. You will find there are more choices than you can possibly consider but if avoid the very low end you can always resell a mic you no longer use. They hold their value well.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

R&B n Jazz Lady,

I like the M-Audio preamps. You can get M-Audio interfaces with preamps included. I think they sound very good.

Here's the Solo, a firewire interface.

M-Audio FireWire Solo | Sweetwater.com

They have less expensive options if you can use USB

m-audio interface | Sweetwater.com

Reba Russell carries her own SM58 with her and she makes it walk and talk. This is not a high end microphone but there's nothing wrong with it. There are also less expensive mics that are very good. Check out my fifty dollar mic thread for many recommendations.

The condensers recommended are all well thought of. I use Superlux and Audio Technica condensers for vocals and general recording but I love and use dynamics all the time especially omnis. You will find there are more choices than you can possibly consider but if avoid the very low end you can always resell a mic you no longer use. They hold their value well.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Thanks, for your suggestions; I will check the website as well as the forum out. I think that I've already reviewed it, but I can go over and check. No harm in looking... Again, thank-you!!

Back