Females: What Mic Do You Use and What Genre are You In?

R&B-N-JAZZ_LADY

"Music is My Passion"
:)Hi--
I am a newbie and I was just wondering, what microphone do you ladies used? Also, what genre are you in? I'm looking forwards in (the near future) having my very small studio (or recording room) in my apartment (in the spare bedroom) and wanted to have a good mic. My genre (as you can see from my name) is Rhythm/Blues and Jazz. However, I have been reading a lot about the SM57 or SM58 microphones... What do you think (about the mic for my genre)? :confused:

Last edited:
:)Hi
I am a newbie and I was just wondering, what microphone do you ladies used? Also, what genre are you in? I'm looking forwards in (near future) having my very small studio (or recording room) in my apartment (in the spare bedroom) and wanted to have a good mic. My genre (as you can see from my name) is Rhythm/Blues and Jazz. However, I have been reading a lot about the SM57 or SM58 microphones... What you think (about the mic for my genre)? :confused:

Although industry standard for live use....I would be very surprised to find out that anyone would recommend either of those mics as their "go to" mic for vocals in a studio setting.

If inexpensive....not "cheap", alternatives are what you are looking for, I personally would suggest checking out Rode's selection of condensor microphones.

RØDE Microphones - Our microphones

I can say "cheap" for the low costing microphones because I am not to that point as a professional nor do I have the money for a high cost microphone. Therefore, regardless it will be an expensive or inexpensive microphone; I will like to know the best to use for my vocal (as female). Thanks!! ;-)

It's all relative....what's high cost to you? Cheap, atleast to me, implies cheaply made, with cheap parts, and cheap quality control. Cheap implies to me that this microphone isn't going to last you very long because it was cheaply made. That is why I made the distinction.

And more to the point....there is no "best" microphone to recommend. All people can do is recommend good microphones. Period. What you do with that tool in conjunction with your other tools, engineering skills, talent level of the person you are recording and finally room sound are all going to factor into what is the "best" microphone for you to use on that song....on that particular singer.

And more to the point....there is no "best" microphone to recommend. All people can do is recommend good microphones. Period. What you do with that tool in conjunction with your other tools, engineering skills, talent level of the person you are recording and finally room sound are all going to factor into what is the "best" microphone for you to use on that song....on that particular singer.

What? Wow!!! :-0 I was referring to the best for me as in MY financial status. Why are you correcting me? This is a forum, not school... I have the time and place as to when I write the appropriate way. Also, why are you being so sarcastic Or rude? :-(

Anyway, I appreciate any listings on "cheap or inexpensive" microphones that are in the price ranges such as $100-$130. I made this thread for the females, but men inquires are cool...

Hmmm, obviously the lack of facial expression and/or tonal inflecion has lead you believe that I am being rude or sarcastic....not the case.

Why in the world do you think I am correcting you or being rude or sarcastic? Seriously, I have given you the very best advice anyone on this forum could. Everything I have said is true. How could I possibly tell YOU what YOUR best microphone would be when I have never heard YOUR voice, have no idea what other equipment is going to be in YOUR signal chain...and have no idea what YOUR budget is.

Having said that, I recommended Reaper to you in another thread....very solid recommendation, I use that as my recording software. I also referred you to check out Rode microphones, another solid recommendation, I use them as well, you will find them in novice to pro setups...and they are considered to very inexpensive for the quality.

I then went even further to explain that you are the one that needs to decide what is best for you....all we can do is recommend products, based upon our personal experiences and generally accepted information. I think you are being extremely ungrateful for the information I have already provided.....sheesh, so much for trying to help people.

There are a few ..... MXL V67g for one.

Can you say who you would consider your voice sounds like?

And you can go to a music store like guitar center and audition a bunch BUT DON'T let them talk you into a microphone right then and there ponder it for a while and come back here with your findings and ask more questions.

showstone You haven't heard me sing and this is true! I was just asking a question. I appreciate everybody help because I am new to this forum as well as in recording, Actually, not that new-- because I have record my singing in karaoke from a website. Thanks, for your advice and help. :-)

Last edited:
Okay, first I will say that this was recorded from a karaoke website called SingSnap. Secondly, I record it using a very cheap microphone (bought from Wal-Mart) and without a pop filter, so it will not sound as great. Please, don't be cruel you guys...

Click on the link and when you see the website with my photo just click play...

"Run to You"

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b163fa600

"I Have Nothing"

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/af8f7bec8

This is what I sound like moresound; so, what microphone do you think will suit my vocals?

Last edited:
I like the MXL V67G suggestion. I have a the V57M and love it, however, it's a little less bright and may not work well with your voice. I also have a Studio Projects C1 and it has a hyped high end, meaning it will accentuate the higher freq's of the vocal range. It might be a match for your voice.

As showstone was saying, no one can really tell you which mic will work best. You just gotta try them until you find the one you like or buy what you can afford and just accept what you get.

As showstone was saying, no one can really tell you which mic will work best. You just gotta try them until you find the one you like or buy what you can afford and just accept what you get.

I agree. However, I was just asking a question and curious to know what kind of microphone that most female singers used (that's in my genre). Thanks, I will choose what I can afford and is best for me (as for now)...

Thanks, everybody! I will get the SM58 and Studio Projects B1 to see how it works for me. Anyway, I truly appreciate you all suggestions--thank-you!! :-)

What ja think?

Prodipe STC3D usually cost more like a $1000--Wow!! :-0 I think that I will be a fooled to pass this offer up! I am going to bookmark this until Friday, then I'm going to purchase it. Thank-you!!! :-) (XXO)

Oops, I misunderstood. I read it wrong. LOL Still, thanks! ;-)

Back