EV RE20 or Sennheiser MD441?

If you could only have one mic, which one of these?

• ElectroVoice RE20

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Sennheiser MD441

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
dejacky said:
I've emailed a reseller asking about the D&R preamp gain and headroom and they replied with the following:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't this seem small compared to the dmp3's 75dB of gain capability? :confused:
Something to think about is how much noise comes with the gain. ;)

Mic Sales guy..... would you please come here and straighten out the misinformation in the two previous posts? This is getting hard to bear. :D

I would love to know what reseller told you that Dejacky. The D&R preamp is spec'd at 60 db of gain. D&R specs are always WAY out there. They really take good care to build units that far exceed what we need them too. In fact, even in a few of the reviews I read the reviewers really thought that the specs weren't accurate. Until they tested them. Then they came back saying that not only were the specs accurate, but that they had actually achieved better results than what D&R had posted. I am not trying to say that this is the absolute best preamp on the market or anything like that. Just that at its price, it represents an incredible bargain (cost to sound quality).

I guess it looks like the DMP3 offers 15 db more of gain. However, I have two things to say there. First, how is the DMP3 going to sound once you hit it with +60 db of gain? My guess, it won't fare so well at the level of gain. Second, when are you going to need to hit it that hard? My guess is that it would have to be a low gain ribbon mic on a really quiet source. However, if I was up against a situation like that, I would feel WAY more confident going in with the D&R preamp. even at its full 60db you will be very surprised I think at how well it maintains its signal to noise and artifacts.

Isn't having a few extra decibels of gain on a pre a bit like having a car capable of reaching 120 MPH, even though you can never (legally) go over 70?

The extra power just makes it easier to hit 70 cleanly.

And it's there if you want to pretend you're Michael Schumaker on the M25 :D

Isn't having a few extra decibels of gain on a pre a bit like having a car capable of reaching 120 MPH, even though you can never (legally) go over 70?

I think this is great question. It's understood that BOTH of the mics need a substantial amount of gain to really bring out the best in their sound. But, what's the relation between a Preamp's maximum (tuneable) Gain Range and it's "Headroom?" I've heard that certain preamps can prevent high spl signals from distorting in the preamp stage while others can't handle the signal and distort. Much thanks to the person that can explain this :)

I gotta admit that advising someone to cool the tubes down with icecubes and let them know that they should be carefull since they cause cancer is hilarious. Anyone who does that deserves a broken amp (not cancer ... LOL)!

guhlenn,
please delete your above commentary and post if possible. It's a complete waste of space IN THIS THREAD because it doesn't answer the question and you completely IGNORED that I stated several times NOT to post this nonsense in this thread :rolleyes: .

dejacky said:
guhlenn,
please delete your above commentary and post if possible. It's a complete waste of space IN THIS THREAD because it doesn't answer the question and you completely IGNORED that I stated several times NOT to post this nonsense in this thread :rolleyes: .

Who appointed you moderator?

This time you came in first c-i-s since i was about to post the same...

Dejacky, please report to the i-net polizei, I heard they have a vacancy...

*Anyone who reacts without specifically adressing the question of the thread dictator will be shot on site. *

dejacky - I understand your frustration with the uninformtive posts, but I think you gotta take the bad with the good, and there's been a lot of good. Your answers have been here...how many do you want? Microphones are a personal opinion item - one man's meat....etc.

That said, I own an RE-20 (an old one) and I find it to be a very useful tool. I've used it on kick, floor toms, guitar cabs, and vocals and never had a problem. Of course, as with any mic, it's not going to be ideal for all vocals or cabs or drums. You have to use it to know if it's what you want. It's not a cheap gamble, but buying a mic of this caliber is not a gamble at all, IMO. You'd be getting a quality mic with either purchase. So it's up to you. I don't own the 441, or a 421 for that matter...but they're on my list! So, if you buy one and don't like it, look me up! :-)

P.S. - why would someone delete a post after you've already read it? I think you've been around long enough to know what you were getting into. Just the nature of the beast.

Back