Dynamic-Cardioid or Condenser mic for noisy acoustically untreated room ?

Thrip

In the case of recording voice & acoustic guitar in noisy, acoustically untreated rooms it is quite notable & most confusing as to the three distinctly different camps that I found re microphone-type choice.

-Many insist that a good Dynamic Cardioid is needed in a situation such as mine, -as with most live or on-location recordings. These better dynamic cardioids are not necessarily that cheap.

-Yet I've found just as many, or more, of the opinion that LDC condenser microphones are what is needed, (-especially for acoustic guitar). -They cite various reasons why they think some consider the unidirectional Dynamic cardioid (supercardioidand/or hypercardioid)as best.

-Of the condenser camp there are those that opt for SDC condenser microphones -to be used for acoustic guitars in "spaced pairs" for stereo recording, -the theory being that "close mic-ing" (as SDCs lend themselves to) helps to eliminate a lot of the room noise.

I already have a Primacoustics Reflection Filter, ( -I may consider also getting a "RealTraps" reflection filter, if I can be convinced as to its superiority).
-As well I plan to buy another futon coach mattress & place it behind me when recording voice or acoustic guitar -in the "sweat spot" that I can find in my acoustically untreated bed-sitting room.

-But most importantly, I must choose a microphone (that I can afford) -that will help me track vocals & acoustic guitars at a professional quality in this ordinary bed-sitting room.

Surely "in practice" there is some "Gain Staging" (headroom/noise floor etc.) sort of a reason reason why so many, (-including a technical guy at my local music store) strongly recommend that I use a good Dynamic Cardioid mic, (such as I've listed in this post) in such a noisy, acoustically untreated room as I have to record in. (I do have strong Grace Design M101 pres that would handle the high-end dynamic cardioids well.)

-Yet there is this other camp -most definitely advising LDC condenser mics (especially for acoustic guitar, -some advising a spaced pair of SDC close miced for acoustic guitars.

Can any one shed any light on this controversial difference of production directions ??

Any other mic suggestions would be most welcome.

These are the dynamic cardioids & LDC, SDC condenser mics I found that either new or used could possibly be fit into my budget.

As well, -any comments would be welcome.

Cardioid Dynamic mics;

(1.) Sennheiser MD 441 & Sennheiser MD 421 ($800.00 -$1,000.00 new)

(2.) ElectroVoice RE20 ( 20Hz to 20KHz ) ($800.00 -$1,000.00 new )

(3.) Beyer M88 -N or TG series ? ($300.0 - $400.00 new)

(4.) Sure SM 7b ( 50Hz to 20KHz ) ($500.00 -$600.000)

(5.) Heil Sound PR 40 & Heil Sound PR 30 ( approx. $394.00 -$600.00 )

(6.) Miktek PM 9 (only $199.00 Long & McQuades)

(7.) Sure KSM8 Dualdyne ? ($600.00 -$700.00)

Relatively affordable/good Condenser Mics :

(A) CAD M179 ($279.00) -20Hz to 20KHz multi pattern condenser with hypercardioid setting;

(B) ADK A6 & ADK S7 ( both recommended for guit. -ADK recommends the S7 ) -descriptions seem similar to the new AKG C414 XLS and AKG C414 XL II

(C) Avantone Pro CK-7

(D) 3DAUDIO -re Warbler microphones etc. ( approx. $500.00 & up-)

"For (baritone) applications, -consider Warbler MKIV, MKIVD or GZ251fet, They'll add some warm and airy on your vocal. Personally, I prefer them on acoustic guitar." Guosheng Zhuang/Director | 3U AUDIO

-We only have three models with supercardioid or hypercardioid directional; Warbler MKV, GZ67 tube mic, & GZ251 tube mic

Multi-pattern Warbler series mic ('D' version) is US$351 with free shipping to CA. ( plus tax & import duties )

Solid state GZ LDC series mic is US$599 with free shipping to CA ( plus tax & import duties )

Fixed cardioid Warbler series mic is US$272 with free shipping to Canada ( plus tax & import duties )

(E) Audio Technica U873R hypercardioid condenser mic (it's freq. range is only 70Hz to 20KHz) (approx. $279.00)

(F) At about half the price the AKG P220, & AT 2020 are both great values, & seem chosen when recording acoustics with a spaced pair of mics, (-"in stereo").

(G) -Also a possible choice for stereo recording with a "spaced pair" Avantone Pro CK-1 (SDC) $113.00 (US$)

ACOUSTIC TREATMENTS ETC.

(6.) sE Electronics Reflexion Filter Pro

(7.) RealTraps (Reflection Filter)

(8.) "Tube Traps", (DIY)??

(9.) "Mini" & "Micro" DIY Gobos ??

Many recommend the sE Electronics Reflexion Filter Pro, as many commercially successful recordings have been made with them.
*Also it is said that the one made by RealTraps is much more effective than the SE.

When you say 'noisy room' I assume you mean unwanted reflections?
I'd recommend you spend some money and buy or build some2'x4'x4" (rockwool-filled) bass traps you can use as gobos, to set up in front/around you to improve your recorded sound. I built 6 of them for under $250 (including hefty shipping charge for the rockwool as I could not source locally).
Typically a condensor mic is going to give you a better recorded sound with an acoustic guitar. If this is going to be a guitar-and-vocal-only recording, using 2 SDCs (there are many possible methods) will give a fuller stereo field sound. I've found (YMMV) that when there are other instruments in the mix a single mic on the acoustic works best/easiest for me.

Back