Eq?

Wow, I actually went out with Brian when I was living out there. Do you know Chris (Big Sweaty) Stevens by any chance?

What a small world!

Ed

*whiplash!*
good post...
the d00d didn't even thank you sonus.. now i feel like punking his ass..

Greetings All,

I'm sort of new to the BBS, (been lurking here every day for over a month) but I had to come out of the closet on this one.

First, after a 6 year hiatus, the band I played with got together and wrote some new tunes that I've been attempting to record with Cool Edit Pro. I chose Cool Edit after trying Cakewalk, Cubase, Protools.....etc. I've done some recording with 4-tracks before but it seems like a totally different world from digital.

I've had a million questions to ask, (and a million more) but generally everything has been answered by doing a search through the forum. I have questions even on the fundamentals that some may take for granted.

So thanks to sonus and everyone else who takes the time to explain in detail what might seem the most mundane. I, and I'm sure most newbies appreciate it.

Ok I've kissed enough ass, so bye for now.

Steve

Sonusman

I don't think I know Chris, but you never know. Is he a friend of Brians? I never was around the Caving Theo crowd Except when the drummer and bass player fixed a wall in my house. I took that opertunity to ask them how they got signed. Thats about it. I'm sure they just thought I was a pest. Brian did ask me some questions about compression when I showed them my setup. I told him on live bass I would call it a must, but then I did it for years without. Us finger players can get away with it a little easyer than the pickers. I guess good technique is the most important...

(I do not claim to be a compression wizard)

Later

F.S.

Wow....I thinking of a tribe of indigenous people (sp?) sitting around a camp fire at night, hearing to the wisdom of the clan elders! Being a newbie, let me thank Sonus and the others for answering this question. Its funny, Im reading the answer and Im like...."I totally NEED a big, honking, eq for my studio (closet, 4 track, and a 8 channel Eurorack I have yet to figure out....owners guide....owners guide!). And at the end, you say, get a good source and the rest should fall into place....so...Im back to thinking I need to spend the money on a good mic (condensor for vocals and acoustic guitars right? See...I'm learning a little....just dont ask me what it is....) instead.
Anyway, thanks again for the post....I'm storing all this stuff away in my brain housing group and its going to help in the future.
Hope I never come off as too smart in CAPS.....
Michael

First of all just let me say to REEL PERSON "thanks" and second to SONUS i bet that you and most everyone else here is expecting me to give you a big ole thanks.guess what ,hell no!!you weren't here to give me good advice,you were here to try and show off how much you think you know in which you were probably plagerizing someones book.you could care less about helping new people you just want to blow your own horn.if you know so much why do you hang out in the NEWBIE section?why don't you try your "skills" in the more advanced area?also i apologize to GEC.and just to let you know sonus,i was not to embarassed to respond,its just that i have a life and better things to do for instance "recording" than to hang out in computer world where i feel big and bad hiding behind a computer screen where noone can really challenge me and i can pretend to be something i am not.

lil sippy opening up a can of whoop ass!

As everyone knows the best way to learn new stuff is to ask a question then flame the one guy with patience to answer (even if you right about his motivation).

Well, I suppose I'd feel the same way sipi does if I posted a question in the newbie forum and recieved the answer that he did. It does say that it is safe to post any questions here and you don't have to worry about being made fun of.

Hang around though, sipi, and look around a bit. Ed may be a bit rough on the edges but he knows his stuff. Better than I do, at any rate, so I learn what I can. Flame away for Ed's behavior, but you might want to spend a little time looking at some of the articles posted at HomeRecording.com before insinuating that he doesn't know anything and is plagerizing.

And congratulations on having a life! :) Sometimes I think I must not have a life because all I've done for the past month is record stuff, hang out here while mixing, and....oh, yeah- work. :D

Chris

That wasn't the first time I've gone ballistic on sonusman, ...

for the way he talks to Newbies, and I have a feeling it won't be the last.

Read on this bbs, and you'll come to the conclusion that sonusman is a rude, arrogant prick. He knows it, and I think everyone else knows it, and yet people accept it, still think he's cool, and kiss his ass incessantly.

"Everybody understands Ed's a righteous prick, and we all get along", is the real bottom line of Ed's HR legacy.

-I won't be a part of that slobber-fest, as long as I see Ed spouting off like that, and insulting Newbies! Screw you, Ed, you arrogant bastard. I don't care how good you are, or how good you think you are. Save the "I'm god, and you suck, so shut up and listen" attitude for the EGOMANIAC board, NOT the NEWBIE board.

You especially take pleasure in laying into Newbies, with Newbie questions.

That's not cool, Ed. That attitude sucks, Ed. You suck, Ed.

/DA

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!

A Reel Person. It all went right on over that blob atop your shoulders. On most, that blob contains a brain that they use to "observe" things.

Tell me, how long you been practicing that mind reading thing? You plan a career in it? If so, you might want to hold on to your day job! YOU SUCK AT MIND READING!!! But hey, I will let you know when you have my mind, and more importantly my INTENTIONS all figured out correctly. Until then, well, go ahead and make yourself look like a jackass. It would seem that it fits you well? I will pass no judgement there.....(notice no winks in this ENTIRE post.....)

You see? That rash is growing and getting itchier!

Ed

Oops! Almost forgot.

sipi1910. At least use http://www.dictionary.com to check those big words out!

"Plagiarizing" someone's book! Oh my! I wish I had that kind of patience! These days I would consider it a luxury to not have all that info floating around in my little ol' noggin'. But alas! I am bedeviled with experience and understanding of such things in such a way that these kinds of posts come quite easily! In fact, it is sort of good for me to go back to such basic things such as "what the controls on an eq do" and try to explain quickly (so as not to lose the reader, who is usually 20 years old, and has an attention span of about 5 seconds, and already knows everything else EXCEPT what they are asking it would seem!) what it all means in an accurate manner. For posting the question, why, I will actually THANK YOU! Going into EQ at the basic level on this BBS was a first, and there is nothing like the first time!

You showed in your second post that humor and irony are beyond you. Good luck in life. Oh, you suck TOO at reading minds, but then again, I have yet to meet a professional at it! Maybe you and A Reel Person can study up together. Maybe exchange notes! Hell, start a newsgroup about it!

Even money says that you read my initial post at least a few times for the answers it contained! You are welcome.......
No, I don't read minds. I just guess really well is all.

Well, I guess I need to go now. Need to find some more books to "plagiarize" for the next newbie seeking answers! God for bid that I have anything ELSE to do than to look up and post the words of others to make myself look good!

Would you like the other cheek now?

(again notice how there is not a single wink in this post! A good engineer is an observant engineer.....)

Ed

wait, wait I want to join in too----> I also have a very large penis, and I record stuff, yeah, allright! Err....what was the question again?!???

Please somebody tell me to shut the fuck up......

Laj

This is embaressing but ....every thing Ed wrote, I dictated to him long distance over the phone..........Ed doesnt know how to read yet.......How do I know?.......Ed it's about time I told you....you are my adopted son...yes yes.

oh.......and you should just know...all the bands you have recorded..I...I....I PAID THEM TO PLAY FOR YOU SO YOU CAN DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIFE.......ahhh I feel so much better with it all out now.

Dad!!! And here I thought you were passing on all this stuff to say because it contained encrypted messages for the CIA!

Errrrrrrrrr, since we are on the subject, couldn't you have sent Van Halen over to record or something? ;)

Ed

Oh Man, don't go there. Sonus is a dick but a nice dick. And if you go back to the beginning of this thread when someone asked you to turn your caps lock off as that indicated you were shouting, your answer was a smartass one so you were just as big a dick so get over it. No harm, no foul. Drop it now.

look,i was under the impression that i could ask a question in the newbie section without getting a bunch of smartass answers.isn't that the point of the newbie section?i guess i was wrong.i will do myself a favor and go to www.recordingwebsite.com where i can get decent answers from decent people.(no offense to the people that arent pricks)it seems that some ass kissers cant grasp the idea that i would not kiss sonus's ass.guess what,i maybe new to recording but i am not a little kid that cant defend myself.screw sonus and screw all of his loyal followers.sonus let me let you in on a little secret.you dont have to be a mind reader to see your intentions or to see what a dick you are.and by the way,i dont think anyone in here is a spelling champion.and TRACK once again,all i did was ask a question and got a smartass answer.i am not a dick,you must be one off sonus's followers.PUCKER UP!!!!

good riddance to all

Last edited:
Back