Epiphone Guitars

in the price range you are looking at the guitars i like are :

Mexican Fat Strats (has humbucker for bridge pickup)

Yamaha Pacifica's (112 goes for <$200)

Schecter Diamond series

I ordered an epi les paul quilt top last year from mars. It came clear across the country in 2 days and was in perfect condition. Packed very well. Plus no tax.
The Epiphones have more of a metal sound if thats what your looking for. You wont get the crisp, clear sound on a clean channel like the fenders, but its a good guitar for the money. Match it up with a marshall amp and it will absoluty rock !!

hey man...a guitarist i jam with alot has a epi les paul copy its a custom i think it has f-holes in it?.....anyway i played it a few times and it really played nice...i mean you couldnt tell it wasnt a "real"..one....now im not sure what it cost new....but im sure it was pretty cheap. that said i just purchased a "new"..93' gibson les paul studio from a member here on this site....man i cant wait!!!.....good luck ....i currently have a squier strat..and in case yer counting votes ...i hate it.

thanks
jamal

Buck62 said:
I own a couple of Epiphone guitars.
I have an EJ-200 Jumbo acoustic and a Thunderbird bass.
I have high praise for both of them as far as tone, looks, and quality.

That being said, my Epiphones are made by Samick, as are the majority of guitars in the world. I just bought a Samick UM-4 that is an incredible value for what I paid for it... just over $400.
It's a PRS knockoff that plays, looks, feels, and sounds just like a real high-end PRS. All the guitars in the Greg Bennett line are incredible values for the money, with features like Grover tuners, Wilkinson tremolo, Duncan pick-ups, and a beautiful flame top.
It's really a photo-flame top, but looks as gorgeous as the real thing.
The Greg Bennett line also has a Les Paul copy called Avion, and an SG called Torino. You really should give these guitars a serious look before you buy anything. The reviews on Harmony Central have been near perfect 10's across the board in every category for these guitars. Take a look at them here...
http://www.samickguitar.com/electric.html

Read some of the stellar reviews of the Greg Bennett Les Paul copy here... (...notice how highly rated it is!)
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guit...ennett-Signature-Series-Les-Paul-Copy-01.html

Just thought I'd give you this info so you make a fully informed decision. It seems that Samick makes the guitars "that much better" when their name is on the headstock.
Like I said, I own two Epiphones and love them.
But my Samick is DEFINITELY a better guitar for the money.

Besides that, ask youself this question...
If Epiphone guitars ARE a superior value for the money, why are there so many of them for sale on Ebay? It's probably the most common guitar sold there. Go to Ebay and type in the word "epiphone" and see how many matches you get.
I just did and got 737 items! The majority of the guitars for sale are Les Paul copies.
Hmmmm.... it kinda makes you wonder.

Do your homework before you buy.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the Samick - Greg Bennett guitars.

I stopped in a music store to see an old friend last weekend. I picked up a bright red Samick fretless (under $300) I got lost in it for a bit and ended up playing it about 30 mins. It was a really nice bass, after I looked at the back I could see where the 3 slabs were laminated together, but that really didn't matter.
I wasnt trying to buy but my buddy tried to get the owner to give it to me... :)

i own a epi es335 and i love it it plays soo nice and smooth. i have a squire tele and it rocks but im selling it for the cash . i played another es335 in the music store the other day not a nice set up but okay. the thing is you may need work done on any guitar you get so get handy with the repair sites. good luck. so i guess you play country rock eh??

Yeah, I do. I think I'm just gonna play it safe and get the Fat Strat like I had before.

There wasn't anything wrong with the Strat when I sold it, I just needed the cash back then. My recordings have been limping along with an acoustic, which is OK, but I need a little more drive in the tunes if you know what I mean.

I'm going to combine this with a Marshall MG15CDR. That should give the mixes the lift I'm looking for. I don't play out so I don't need a 100W head and a 4x12 cab. It will be strictly for the studio. I think that miked up with an MD-441 the sound should be great.

Gidge said:
i searched Fender Strat and recieved 697 hits on E-bay and then Fender Stratocaster and got another 623 hits......

Strats have been around forever, and alot of those "hits" are for products that aren't actually guitars... like lamps and other stuff that has a strat on it, or is shaped like a strat, or is somehow strat-related. I'm sure that's true for some of the Epiphone hits, but it's probably alot less by comparison.

I have an epiphone sg g-400 and i love it , i've played alot of guitars and i think this one plays the best of all of them. hope this helps

My opinion as to why there are so many Epi's on Ebay is because Epiphone is for the most part an entry level to beginner guitar. As these owners get better they want something more. I know I did.

I said for the MOST PART, I realize that an $800 Epi isn't exactly a beginner guitar, but a cheap alternative to a $3000 peice of fine art.

Well I just did a complete one 180 on my guitar selection.

I looked through the catalog again and found a Hamer Californian that was going for $560 at regular AMS price. They were closing them out for $270.

Got the Marshall amp too. Probably going to be the rockingest country I've ever played. I was hesitant at first, but they have a five day return policy from receipt, so I said what the heck. It sounds like a good buy.

Anyone have comments on the Hamer Californian?

Thanks for the link. I just read all the reviews. Other than the one who got a bum deal on e-bay, I'd say the reviews were favorable, if not downright pro-Hamer.

The bad side seems to be the crappy Floyd Rose copy trem.

If that's the worst of it, I can live with it. I'm not playing metal and won't be thrashing the guitar. If worst comes to worse, I'll change it out in a couple of months. I'm going to play it alot the first three days I have it and see how that Floyd Rose is. If it's that bad, it goes back.

Seems to be many conflicting comments on finish and the tuners.

I was actually quite impressed with the comments on the neck and the action. I was surprised that they said it was that good. I would like to have a very easy-playing guitar. That's a plus. Especially doing a lot of chording to ease the fatigue factor a bit.

I guess I should know something by Friday night. That's when they said I would receive it. If it's as good as they say it is I may not be able to put it down.

i second the motion on the samick recommendation. the new greg bennet line is full of gorgeous looking guitars (except for the les paul copy). sure, you'll find cosmetic flaws here and there, but so what? i have the SG copy called the torino, which i think looks better than the SG. it's like an SG meets a les paul kinda shape. the pickups are good enough that they don't need to be replaced, and i'm a stickler for pickups as all my other guitars have seymours in them.

you might also try cort guitars. i have a les paul custom copy called "the classic." it's discontinued, but they make other nice looking shapes.

and if you go to a mega chain store like Guitar Center to buy your guitar, remember to haggle the bejesus out of it!

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/

check out the Lp Copies here, they do Samick and other Asian guitars at ungodly prices!!!!! I have a Essex SLP Std...Set Neck and Solid Mahog for $180!!!!!! I put in EMG's and it is the envy of every Gibson/Eppi player around (I live in an area with a tight music community) The only reason you would not drool over my guitar is if you are a name guy...and then we probably wouldn't hang out anyways!!

I also have a fretless and a 7string from this site

VertuGoGo said:
I second the motion on the samick recommendation. The new greg bennet line is full of gorgeous looking guitars

I tried to tell him!

Oh well, hopefully that Hamer will turn out to be a nice guitar.
Returns can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Oh well, hopefully that Hamer will turn out to be a nice guitar
I hope so. We'll see in a few days.

If I get screwed on a shabby guitar, it would be the first time it ever happened over the internet.

I was incorrect about thier return policy. It's not five days, it's 45 days. For any reason.

I just wanted to chime in real quick.

Someone said that the Epi LP Custom is the closest to the Gibson, it's not. The Epi LP Custom has an ALDER top, not maple. The Custom Flametop ($100 more) has a maple top, but so does the Epi LP Classic, which you can get for less than the Custom. I had a classic once, and it was a great guitar for the $399 I paid for it.

Also, I think the Dot is the best Epiphone made today for the $.

H2H

Back