Epiphone Guitars

Sennheiser

I did a search last night for comments on these guitars. Overall, the comments were positive and most are built as well as a Gibson. I don't play well enough to justify $1200 and up for a Gibson, but I think that the Epiphone make would suit my needs just fine and they seem to be a good value for the money.

Tuesday I'm buying either an Epiphne Les Paul or the 335 copy.

There was another I was considering because of the finish and that was the Gothic Les Paul. I didn't see any comments about this model. Will this compare favorably to the other Epi Les Paul's or should I stick with one of the more traditional models?

Is the only difference the finish or have they changed some of the electronics for a different sound? I don't play metal or goth music, but I really like the looks of this guitar.

Hey Senn
Check out the difference in wood and hardware between the Epi Paul and the Epi Custom.The custom is closer to the fit and finish standards of the Gibsons.

I did look at that one briefly, but I'm limited to $400 or so and I need an electric guitar within the week. Can't wait to save any more.

Epiphones have lower quality woods, and tinnier electronics. Oh and the finishes tend to be alot more shabby. But I cant lie... they seem to work fine by me. I've never actually owned a $2000 guitar so maybe I just dont know what I am missing. On a side note, I have an epiphone PR-5 acoustic that has not disappointed me in the slightest.

I've never actually owned a $2000 guitar so maybe I just dont know what I am missing.

Me either. My skills don't justify an expendature of that magnitude. I'd still love to own a Rick Turner Model 1 though.

As far as I know there is nothing different with the Gibson gothic models, they are just black...maybe a dull finish but if you like it go for it.

I could have sworn they were upward of 600-1000 bux though, I thought you wanted to spend about 400.

I'll tell you what, if you need a guitar by the end of the week, get the most expensive Epi you can afford. They do get vastly better with the price.

If you just can't wait to save up more money, suck it up and wait to get a little more money saved and find a used Gibson Studio, Gothic, or American Special (maybe even get that new for the price).

I have a Studio and you will love it. The thing is so heavy compared to my friends Epi. And it plays a million times better.

AMS has the Gothic Les Paul Epi for $399. I have always been treated right by them. When I call Tuesday for the guitar I'm going to tell them that it's coming right back if it ain't right.

The Les Paul Studio is only $20 more, but I don't like the finishes they offer. Black would be my first choice, but it shows every damn fingerprint. That's why I was thinking about the semi-gloss finish on the Gothic model.

FINGERPRINTS!?!?!??!?!!

Fingerprints and scratches are just love scars.

I was asuming you were talking about Gibsons, I wouldn't buy an Epi Studio if my life depended on it. Seriously, find a used guitar...you could get an Epi Custom LP for $400 easily, you have no idea how much better that will payoff in the long run.

Is AMS a mail order? DON'T BUY via MAIL-ORDER for guitars!

If you live in the middle of no-where call up a bunch of guitar shops in the nearest big city and ask what they have new and used. Go play it first. It will save you sooooooo much of the headache that will pursue over the next week.

Thanks for the advise. I'm not crazy about buying a guitar mail order, though I have heard it can be done without damage.

The nearest dealer that sells anything of quality is over 50 miles one way. I'm not really looking for the perfect guitar. I need something of decent quality to do some background rhythm and a few lead licks from time to time. I'm not a great guitarist by any stretch of the imagination. I just need something that sounds half-way decent at an affordable price.

From the posts I read after my search I though the Epiphone would be on target for my needs.

The LP Standard is about $90 more. I might be able to swing that if I do without a few things for a month or so.

I'll let you all know what I decided Tuesday night.

Thanks for the comments.

I have an epi LP standard, and I really like it. I will change the pickups and pots when I get some money, though.

Matty

I own a couple of Epiphone guitars.
I have an EJ-200 Jumbo acoustic and a Thunderbird bass.
I have high praise for both of them as far as tone, looks, and quality.

That being said, my Epiphones are made by Samick, as are the majority of guitars in the world. I just bought a Samick UM-4 that is an incredible value for what I paid for it... just over $400.
It's a PRS knockoff that plays, looks, feels, and sounds just like a real high-end PRS. All the guitars in the Greg Bennett line are incredible values for the money, with features like Grover tuners, Wilkinson tremolo, Duncan pick-ups, and a beautiful flame top.
It's really a photo-flame top, but looks as gorgeous as the real thing.
The Greg Bennett line also has a Les Paul copy called Avion, and an SG called Torino. You really should give these guitars a serious look before you buy anything. The reviews on Harmony Central have been near perfect 10's across the board in every category for these guitars. Take a look at them here...
http://www.samickguitar.com/electric.html

Read some of the stellar reviews of the Greg Bennett Les Paul copy here... (...notice how highly rated it is!)
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guit...ennett-Signature-Series-Les-Paul-Copy-01.html

Just thought I'd give you this info so you make a fully informed decision. It seems that Samick makes the guitars "that much better" when their name is on the headstock.
Like I said, I own two Epiphones and love them.
But my Samick is DEFINITELY a better guitar for the money.

Besides that, ask youself this question...
If Epiphone guitars ARE a superior value for the money, why are there so many of them for sale on Ebay? It's probably the most common guitar sold there. Go to Ebay and type in the word "epiphone" and see how many matches you get.
I just did and got 737 items! The majority of the guitars for sale are Les Paul copies.
Hmmmm.... it kinda makes you wonder.

Do your homework before you buy.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the Samick - Greg Bennett guitars.

I ordered a guitar from AMS and after a few days of fingernail biting, i recieved it in perfect condition......

i searched Fender Strat and recieved 697 hits on E-bay and then Fender Stratocaster and got another 623 hits......

Thanks Gidge. Ya know, after reading all of these posts, I'm leaning toward just getting another Fender Fat Strat like I used to have. Except this one will be an import. I can't afford another American Strat.

I've heard good things about the imports. Maybe I oughta just stick with something I'm familiar with. I like the Les Paul and I had a cheap copy in high school, but I am familiar with the strat, I like the way it sounds, and it's comfortable to play.

Shit, now I don't know which one to buy. I knew this would happen. Too damn many choices.:rolleyes:

Dude....

HOLD OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get the Standard.

...about the guitar coming home damaged, thats not what you should worry about....I would worry about it having a bad feel from the get-go and never acually being a good guitar. It would be worth taking the drive to check it out, besides, it doesn't sound like you have even played a Les Paul before. Check out that ES-335 if you want it for rhythem, both are great, but that semi-hollow sound might me more you...or maybe not. Have you ever played a Strat or Tele. A $350 standard Mexican is a VERY good guitar. You could probably find a samick to tryout too. Though I have yet to see a store carry both Samick and Epiphone. Probably have to go to two stores.

Thats just all my bad expirence with Mucians Friend opinion from back in the day...Never again. Almost as bad as Guitar Renter.........excuse me, Center

I bought a mexican Strat at a Mars liquidation sale today.
Plays real nice and has the strat sound. Is it like a $1200.00 USA deluxe? No , but it is definatley worth the $313.00 I paid for it. And I got a gigbag out of the guy for nothing.
I did look at several Epiphone Les Pauls they had. They would have run me around $500.00. I must admit they had beautiful finishes, and sounded real nice but for the cash I went with the Strat.
Is there a Mars near you?

I've only played a real Gibson Les Paul a few times. In my previous post I indicated that I had a cheap copy in HS. The two guitars were very different.

I also indicated in my previous post that I have owned a Fender American Fat Strat. I had that for around four years. I loved the playability and the sound. I was looking for maybe something different this go around. I'm having second thoughts now and may just stick with another Strat.

Then again I may just flip a coin.:rolleyes:

Mars Music may as well be as far away as the planet Mars for where I'm at.

That's the only disadvantage to living in the country. Everything is so damn far away.

To answer you question, no there is no Mars Music near me.

Hope whatever you choose works well for ya!
I was lucky that the only store in the state is about 15 minutes away from me.
I bought an Ovation celebrity last week and got the strat today.
I am hoping to get a deal on a Roland or Yamaha synth but I think my wife is about to castrate me.

I'm not sure I want one that bad but I'm thinkin'
;)

Best of luck

Back