Electronic v Virtual Drums

Anomaly Design

I have an electronic drum set however I was considering selling them to buy drum software. I'm worried about that whole human factor and don't know much about software.

Does anyone think its a good idea to switch to software and if so, which program is good?

As I can't play drums I can't comment on whether switching is worth it, but you can get a reasonably realistic "human" feel using MIDI / sample libraries like EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums etc. It takes work, however.

You get this for nothing when you play your eDrums, assuming you're a good drummer...

Seeing you can get good sample libraries relatively cheaply and there are many MIDI editors available for next to nothing, why not just get a sample library to add to your selection of sounds and get the best of both worlds?

IMO, the "human" factor only applies if one is proficient at the drums. Fake drums are sounding real these days. Tastefully arranged, there are many cases where the only tip off is that the drums sound too good.

Thanks for the replies guys. In a perfect world I would have a real set with fabulous mics... Obviously this decision is driven by available space/money.

I want to keep playing a set so I'll try to make it work, but as for adding software... Do these programs only offer samples to trigger via midi or can you actually compose? I would like to add software as well, but I want to be able to compose without playing. Or is this the job of a protools type recording program?

Thanks!

Yeah you need a recording program to actually put elements together. You can run those software drums as a stand alone app though, you just can't "track" them per say (record the midi).

All you need is a sequencer.... a lot of DAW programs include them anyway. I use Reaper, fully functioning DAW with MIDI sequencer - $40. And Addictive Drums as the VSTi. Easy.

Hop on over to the song comp and have a listen to my track (some of the others also use MIDI drums, but I can't remember which...).

Can't play real drums to save my life, so it's all composed. Not difficult. Not expensive.

Playing drums or any form of percussion is very important to a musician's ability to digest the sound and environment around them.

It's like turning on a machine of rhythm and it goes smoother the longer you keep it running.

Hit a piece of wood on a damageable wall as hard as you can and record it.

Record that into a sequence and hit the wall some more times in rhythm with that initial hit. (Harder the better)

Repeat this process about 6 more times and then have the layered wall smash rhythm track.

Play to it and after hearing the tiny little nuances and fizzles of the tracks working together, tell me that you would rather push a button.

Release the BEAST!!

Playing drums or any form of percussion is very important to a musician's ability to digest the sound and environment around them.

It's like turning on a machine of rhythm and it goes smoother the longer you keep it running.

Hit a piece of wood on a damageable wall as hard as you can and record it.

Record that into a sequence and hit the wall some more times in rhythm with that initial hit. (Harder the better)

Repeat this process about 6 more times and then have the layered wall smash rhythm track.

Play to it and after hearing the tiny little nuances and fizzles of the tracks working together, tell me that you would rather push a button.

Release the BEAST!!

.............................post is WTF

I have that Roland drum kit - man I like that superior drummer sound - but $350 yikes... I am just a poor hobbyist musician :)

about 8 years ago it cost me $800 to buy a Boss Dr Rhythm. I grant you that things are always expensive over here, but when I saw a month or two back that I could get Addictive Drums + a retro pack for $300 US, I thought it was the best deal ever.... couldn't believe it...

I've been conditioned by living in Australia that there's nothing much under $1000 that's worth buying. All a matter of perspective! :D

Uh........ e-drums ARE virtual drums.

I think the assumption is that e-drums are a kit that you thump and virtual drums are sound libraries... that's what I'm assuming anyway. If there are more correct terms, I'd be happy to learn them...

I think the assumption is that e-drums are a kit that you thump and virtual drums are sound libraries... that's what I'm assuming anyway. If there are more correct terms, I'd be happy to learn them...

He's just a dick who never records music. I knew what you meant.

For what it's worth, I'll say this...as a non-drummer, ezdrummer sounds way better than me not playing the drums I cannot play.

As Supercreep touched on, the only time "fake" drums sound fake is when a non-drummer is playing/programming them. Use whatever you want, if you don't know HOW a drummer plays, they won't sound good. Subtle velocity changes on the hi-hat/ride, ghost notes on the snare, accents during a roll and a million other things that a drummer does (and probably doesn't even know he does) are what make the difference.

As Supercreep touched on, the only time "fake" drums sound fake is when a non-drummer is playing/programming them. Use whatever you want, if you don't know HOW a drummer plays, they won't sound good. Subtle velocity changes on the hi-hat/ride, ghost notes on the snare, accents during a roll and a million other things that a drummer does (and probably doesn't even know he does) are what make the difference.

This ^^^^^^^^

The biggest problem with programmed drums are that non-drummers usually do the programming.

He's just a dick who never records music. I knew what you meant.

For what it's worth, I'll say this...as a non-drummer, ezdrummer sounds way better than me not playing the drums I cannot play.

I record plenty and play every day. Don't be all butt-hurt because you don't get to hear it.

If you're already a drummer keep the e-kit and add sample libraries. There are tons of tutorials on Youtube about using the various sample libraries with all types of MIDI controllers in real time. I've used an SPD-20 to play EZDrummer samples, but I'm no drummer so I do much better editing MIDI loops.

You can also record your own stuff if you're a drummer with an electronic kit and Addictive Drums. I think the problem with VI drums is that most people don't take the time to tune the kits. So I'll build a drum track to fit the song, then do a little tempo variations in the song itself up in the tempo map typically +/- 3 bpm. Not really noticeable but it does add some humanization to it. Particularly valuable to us one person does all "bands". Of course my instrument is piano, so it's not that difficult to do all. I also play guitar and bass.

Back