Electronic v Virtual Drums

Hey RAMI and Greg....

I totally get what you're saying. I'm not a drummer, obviously, but have Addictive + Reaper as of about a month ago. I've previously programmed more basic drum machines like Boss Dr Rhythm etc. but this gives me much more flexibility.

I've tried, in the one song that I've attempted, to make it all sound like "real" drums as much as I can, but, I'm not a drummer. I'd be interested in any feedback you two in particular have about how well, or badly, I've done. I've adopted various of the techniques RAMI's mentioned and literally placed every drum hit in place and set volumes individually etc.

I think I've sort of succeeded, but yeah, snare fills and rolls are a bitch.. anyway, if you'd care to have a listen and let me know what you think, I'd appreciated it. It's Damaged in the new song comp. I think I've already realised I have too much rattle in the snare and the toms don't quite sound real - I'll take note for the next song.. :mad:

Cheers :drunk:

Hey RAMI and Greg....

I totally get what you're saying. I'm not a drummer, obviously, but have Addictive + Reaper as of about a month ago. I've previously programmed more basic drum machines like Boss Dr Rhythm etc. but this gives me much more flexibility.

I've tried, in the one song that I've attempted, to make it all sound like "real" drums as much as I can, but, I'm not a drummer. I'd be interested in any feedback you two in particular have about how well, or badly, I've done. I've adopted various of the techniques RAMI's mentioned and literally placed every drum hit in place and set volumes individually etc.

I think I've sort of succeeded, but yeah, snare fills and rolls are a bitch.. anyway, if you'd care to have a listen and let me know what you think, I'd appreciated it. It's Damaged in the new song comp. I think I've already realised I have too much rattle in the snare and the toms don't quite sound real - I'll take note for the next song.. :mad:

Cheers :drunk:

The drums are so buried under the acoustic guitars that I can't really get a good gauge on what's going on in your song.

Armistice, Greg is right. They are low. I'm not saying they're too low for the song, but for this kind of song it might be exactly what they need drum-wise. But it's hard to judge how "human" they sound at that level. This might be a good thing, because it means they don't stand out as sounding robotic or synthetic. But I can't hear what the hi-hat and/or ride is doing. I only hear the snare.

Armistice, Greg is right. They are low. I'm not saying they're too low for the song, but for this kind of song it might be exactly what they need drum-wise. But it's hard to judge how "human" they sound at that level. This might be a good thing, because it means they don't stand out as sounding robotic or synthetic. But I can't hear what the hi-hat and/or ride is doing. I only hear the snare.

Thanks RAMI... it's interesting... not having applied drums in retrospect to what's fundamentally an acoustic song before I was a bit unsure of final levels... I turned them up, down, round and round and eventually settled for where they are now. I can hear everything, but that's probably because I'm really listening for them as I'm super conscious that they're fake drums and I'm worried they sound fake..

Interesting exercise in objective listening... for me, anyway!

I might turn them up a bit and stick another version up... sounds like I'll have to turn the snare down a bit if I do. :D

Cheers

Back