Dumb Mac question

Total rubbish! My phone, pad and computers are macs and I just logged into my server on them all and tapped on a wave file. They ALL play it fine. MP3, M4a, wav and aiff makes no difference. Cubase on my macs plays the stuff created in my pcs.

I have a three in one adaptor I can stuff into the iphone, an android phone or a usb socket and have never had any problems with audio files. If you have an iPhone you can click on a web link, like on this forum and play somebodies wav file. If you download it, the Apple Music app plays it.
to rfr
your Mac computer will copy and paste wave like any other file type, on the phone, the issue is that there isnt really an app to do file management like finder on the macs. The phones are designed to not show dangerous stuff to the users. there are file manager apps available though. My MacBook seems happy to read the phones files though?

Yes it is true the iPhone will play WAV files, mp3 etc. I do it all the time here on this forum.

So what I’m getting from Rob is that my WaV files are ‘hidden’ from me for safety reasons??

So if I can’t find them, I can’t play them.

Well isn’t that a jolly Fu from Apple. They have to keep me safe from my music.

It’s perfectly well and good that I can hear other people’s music files on my phone.

But we come back to how do I find and hear my own music files on my phone???

Last edited:
I’ve had an iPhone for a couple of years. I transferred all my info and files from my android phone. Lots of wav files. But they never showed up on my iPhone.

Now somehow I’ve ended up with two Mac mini’s. I’ve begrudgingly turned into a Mac guy?

But, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to store Wav files onto Apple products.

Ps. I don’t have iTunes. Is this a necessity?
The only places I know of to store wav files is in iTunes or in the cloud, which is called files on the iphone. It doesn't allow the open storage thing android does. It's one of the downsides but it can be managed.

Reactions: RFR
The only places I know of to store wav files is in iTunes or in the cloud, which is called files on the iphone. It doesn't allow the open storage thing android does. It's one of the downsides but it can be managed.
So when you hit the “files” icon on the iPhone it takes you to iCloud?

Hmm nothing there except GarageBand which I never use.

So when you hit the “files” icon on the iPhone it takes you to iCloud?

Hmm nothing there except GarageBand which I never use.
Nothing will be there until moved there. If u were on ur mac mini and u had these wavs there, you could drag them into the icloud. Probably called iCloud drive on the mac mini. Choose A folder to make it easier to find like downloads....allow it to sync (automatically) and you’d be able to see them in files on ur phone (which is not actually on the iphone, it’s in the cloud, just for clarity)

Nothing will be there until moved there. If u were on ur mac mini and u had these wavs there, you could drag them into the icloud. Probably called iCloud drive on the mac mini. Choose A folder to make it easier to find like downloads....allow it to sync (automatically) and you’d be able to see them in files on ur phone (which is not actually on the iphone, it’s in the cloud, just for clarity)
Thanks for the response.

So here’s what I’m getting.
I can’t directly put wav files into the iPhone. It has to go through the Mac mini to the cloud and when I sync my phone to the mini then it shows up in my files folder on the phone. To play the file I’m actually accessing the wav files from the cloud.
Correct?

Thanks for the response.

So here’s what I’m getting.
I can’t directly put wav files into the iPhone. It has to go through the Mac mini to the cloud and when I sync my phone to the mini then it shows up in my files folder on the phone. To play the file I’m actually accessing the wav files from the cloud.
Correct?
Simple version just so you can get doing what you need to: yea. Except you don’t sync ur phone to the mac mini it does it automatically over the internet. Mac mini connected to router, iPhone connected via wifi and it just does it itself. Yep to play the file.

* when u connect ur iphone to ur mac mini it doesn’t open like it does with an android. U can’t see all the photos, music, documents etc in the browser or finder on a mac.

More complicated workaround way: if wanted to start sharing wav files u could use a messaging app like whats app or telegram. Telegram is much better for this. Within these apps u can a document or something, which will take u to your files, where u can add/send a wav.

Simple version just so you can get doing what you need to: yea. Except you don’t sync ur phone to the mac mini it does it automatically over the internet. Mac mini connected to router, iPhone connected via wifi and it just does it itself. Yep to play the file.

* when u connect ur iphone to ur mac mini it doesn’t open like it does with an android. U can’t see all the photos, music, documents etc in the browser or finder on a mac.

More complicated workaround way: if wanted to start sharing wav files u could use a messaging app like whats app or telegram. Telegram is much better for this. Within these apps u can a document or something, which will take u to your files, where u can add/send a wav.
Fucking Apple. it just has to complicate things

Last edited:
Fucking Apple. it just has to complicate things. :LOL:
Haha I’m a logic user so I’m stuck with it. Don’t feel like building a hackintosh and I’ve found workarounds since leaving the world or pc/apple. I still hear u though!

Haha I’m a logic user so I’m stuck with it. Don’t feel like building a hackintosh and I’ve found workarounds since leaving the world or pc/apple. I still hear u though!
One question. Does that mean I have to have the WiFi always turned on on my phone?

I THINK it is being connected to the internet in general like, if i were to send u a PDF while u were out and u saved it in your files using ur phone, when u got home and fired up the mac mini and opened the icloud drive, it should be there.

I THINK it is being connected to the internet in general like, if i were to send u a PDF while u were out and u saved it in your files using ur phone, when u got home and fired up the mac mini and opened the icloud drive, it should be there.
But through cell towers I’m always connected to the internet anyway.

I’m on the net right now despite having my WiFi turned off.

Is this more of a thing of keeping all my iOS devices synced together??

But through cell towers I’m always connected to the internet anyway.

I’m on the net right now despite having my WiFi turned off.

Yea it should work this way. It’s a continual updating of the files in the cloud. I can’t say for certain because files specifically I’ve not consciously tested out. Things like my notes and pages work. They stay synced.

What do you mean?

My Apple won't play any .wav or .mp3 files. I can't get them onto the floppy disk, and for the life of me I can't find the USB port! I can try to download from online, if I plug a modem into the serial port and use dialup to get on the internet, but the browser really stinks! Plus people think I'm yelling since the letters are all caps!

Apple ][.jpg

Sorry... I'm in a mood today! :unsure:

Yea it should work this way. It’s a continual updating of the files in the cloud. I can’t say for certain because files specifically I’ve not consciously tested out. Things like my notes and pages work. They stay synced.

What do you mean?
I’m referring to them all talking to each other via WiFi, rather than hooking them together via a physical cord or Bluetooth

My Apple won't play any .wav or .mp3 files. I can't get them onto the floppy disk, and for the life of me I can't find the USB port! I can try to download from online, if I plug a modem into the serial port and use dialup to get on the internet, but the browser really stinks! Plus people think I'm yelling since the letters are all caps!

View attachment 134369

Sorry... I'm in a mood today! :unsure:

Well despite being not very useful, it was at least entertaining. :-)

I’m referring to them all talking to each other via WiFi, rather than hooking them together via a physical cord or Bluetooth
Oh yea that’s what they do. No need to hook them up physically. Unless u use itunes someday. Even that can be done over wifi i think...i may have seen that option somewhere.

For example i like using notes and having it linked to the cloud. As soon as any device connects to the internet (celluar wifi or otherwise) it syncs up. I can access notes on any device and see where i left off.

Yes it is true the iPhone will play WAV files, mp3 etc. I do it all the time here on this forum.

So what I’m getting from Rob is that my WaV files are ‘hidden’ from me for safety reasons??

So if I can’t find them, I can’t play them.

Well isn’t that a jolly Fu from Apple. They have to keep me safe from my music.

It’s perfectly well and good that I can hear other people’s music files on my phone.

But we come back to how do I find and hear my own music files on my phone???
Just load the wave files into Garage band and upload them from there - as for iTunes no you don't need it - it's Apple Music that you need.

Back