Dumb Mac question

RFR

I’ve had an iPhone for a couple of years. I transferred all my info and files from my android phone. Lots of wav files. But they never showed up on my iPhone.

Now somehow I’ve ended up with two Mac mini’s. I’ve begrudgingly turned into a Mac guy?

But, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to store Wav files onto Apple products.

Ps. I don’t have iTunes. Is this a necessity?

Last edited:
I don't really use the iphone for music but I think you can just drag+drop wavs into Music app on MacOS,
then plug in your phone and sync music, within music app.
Music app is the present day equivalent of iTunes, as far as I know.

With the phone plugged in there's a sync menu in music, with a music tab, where you can choose to sync all or only specific playlists or whatever.

I don't really use the iphone for music but I think you can just drag+drop wavs into Music app on MacOS,
then plug in your phone and sync music, within music app.
Music app is the present day equivalent of iTunes, as far as I know.

With the phone plugged in there's a sync menu in music, with a music tab, where you can choose to sync all or only specific playlists or whatever.
Hmmm..... thanks for responding. But still confusing. I can’t figure out how to even get music (my own) onto the phone.

Seems iPhones are all about downloading music you have to pay for which I have no interest in.

Is it even possible to transfer WaV files from a windows device to an IOS device?

When I transferred all files from my android to iPhone everything except my music showed up.

Oh, you want to do it from windows.
I had to google but it looks like iTunes is still made and supported for windows so, yeah, use that.
Same process - Put your music in iTunes, then plugin in the phone and sync music.

If you add more music and sync again later, it will only copy over what is new since the last sync.

Reactions: RFR
Oh, you want to do it from windows.
I had to google but it looks like iTunes is still made and supported for windows so, yeah, use that.
Same process - Put your music in iTunes, then plugin in the phone and sync music.

If you add more music and sync again later, it will only copy over what is new since the last sync.
See, here’s the deal.
My studio is running windows7 with protools 10. Never goes on line. No issues, no problems, no viruses etc.
everything just works.

When I want to upload something, say to soundcloud, it’s always from my phone

So I’m guessing I need to install iTunes on my IOS devices.

Ok, fair enough.
Not sure I can really help then. I never do stuff like that from my phone.
Hopefully someone else knows! (y)

I occasionally email a song to myself then I click on it and put in my file folder. From there I can listen or move it around as needed. That’s how I get my mp3 files on to the forum, like RFR I’m not connected to the inter web with any recording gear.

edit:
oh yah for the larger wave files I send them to Drop Box. From there I open that on my phone and save them in the file folder. The MP3’s are small enough to just email.

IPhone won't play wav files. You will need to convert the files to something than an iPhone will play.
The files probably did get loaded onto your iPhone, there is just nothing on the phone to play them.

I occasionally email a song to myself then I click on it and put in my file folder. From there I can listen or move it around as needed. That’s how I get my mp3 files on to the forum, like RFR I’m not connected to the inter web with any recording gear.

edit:
oh yah for the larger wave files I send them to Drop Box. From there I open that on my phone and save them in the file folder. The MP3’s are small enough to just email.
Life was so easy with an Android phone.
Then my daughter talked me into an iPhone so we could ‘face time’.
Now I have two iPhones and two Mac mini’s. And I only paid for one phone. It’s not that I go out and buy this crap. I have friends that are so delighted that I’ve ‘joined’ the ‘Apple cult’, they just give me stuff. One works for Apple and another works for Google. But they don’t have a clue either :LOL:

Christmas is always Apple time.
It’s nice to get techie gifts, but along with that comes headaches.

Oh the agony. :LOL:

Last edited:
IPhone won't play wav files. You will need to convert the files to something than an iPhone will play.
The files probably did get loaded onto your iPhone, there is just nothing on the phone to play them.
What will the iPhone play? Convert the files to what?

I just took a .wav file out of drop box and copied it to my file folder. Was able to play it no probs.
mines an iphone7

I just took a .wav file out of drop box and copied it to my file folder. Was able to play it no probs.
mines an iphone7
How did you upload to drop box if your music computers are offline?

I have an iPhone 6s, and a 2022 third generation iPhone SE.

How did you upload to drop box if your music computers are offline?

I have an iPhone 6s, and a 2022 third generation iPhone SE.
I put the file on a flash drive then took it upstairs to my regular computer that has email and everything else. Drop box app is on everything and once you put it in it shows up everywhere. Also works good for sharing larger files with band mates as they can be invited to a specific folder in DB.
Guy

Sometimes my music partner will record some ideas and then put the .wav file into a shared DB folder. I just copy to a usb drive then walk it down to the studio where I can drag in DAW and work with it. This way I can keep my old recording laptop isolated from the inter web where I’m sure it would grenade immediately. I also delete the files out of DB often so I don’t have to upgrade to a paid version
Guy

I've seen this scenario play out countless times in my real life job. Kids buy parents an 'Apple' thing, parents don't understand it, kids don't have time or interest to explain it etc. Apples a proprietary piece of garbage operating system even though it is pretty much Linux / Unix, but it isn't - It's just crap. Move on.

Don't waste your time. Ditch the Apple POS, and stick to what you are use to - Android. Time is not replaceable.

Total rubbish! My phone, pad and computers are macs and I just logged into my server on them all and tapped on a wave file. They ALL play it fine. MP3, M4a, wav and aiff makes no difference. Cubase on my macs plays the stuff created in my pcs.

I have a three in one adaptor I can stuff into the iphone, an android phone or a usb socket and have never had any problems with audio files. If you have an iPhone you can click on a web link, like on this forum and play somebodies wav file. If you download it, the Apple Music app plays it.
to rfr
your Mac computer will copy and paste wave like any other file type, on the phone, the issue is that there isnt really an app to do file management like finder on the macs. The phones are designed to not show dangerous stuff to the users. there are file manager apps available though. My MacBook seems happy to read the phones files though?

Back