don't throw away those "almost right" takes

Maybe you can comp all of your posts into one legit comment that isn't based on lies, assumptions, and general hypocrisy.

No needed to...I'll just quote some of yours:

Translation - miro loves comping, therefore it is the only way to go!

Personal dig.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean "everyone" has to comp their stuff together.

Dig at me and at anyone doing comping.

If you got it right the first time, there's no need to keep doing it.....unless you're some kind of studio masochist.

Another dig at anyone needing to comp, and still a lack of understanding, or intentionally ignoring other valid uses for comping besides fixing "shitty playing".

I take all of my perfect takes and delete them so I can do a bunch of imperfect takes and comp them together into one perfect take.

More of the same....

Yeah, why try to get one good take when you can slop out 50 bad ones and just piece them together like a frankenshit?

And more negative stuff about comping....

Again....there was none of that shit in this thread, until you decided to take it there after my first post.
Been there, seen that way too many times with you.
It's like....you just don't seem to feel good or you can't seem to have a discussion with any kind disagreement....without taking some personal shots and tossing out some mocking digs to try and knock to other guy down some... in order to boost your views.
Why is that....?

I would have no problem with you simply saying...."I don't like to comp."....but you have to also make it a point to imply/suggest that comping is some how inferior to whatever way YOU choose.
That's the thing with you that derails many a thread....your need to mock & ridicule the other person at some point, as way of validating your opinions.

Now go and tell me some more you're "just kidding" and how I'm taking it all the wrong way....blah, blah, blah.....

Can't we all <split> jerst gert alung?
Crnt wa all <split> just get along?

Can't we all just get along?

Phew, finally got that one comped into a good take.

No needed to...I'll just quote some of yours:
Good, they can all be explained because you got all of them wrong. Taking single quotes out of context is a poor defense, but let's start....

Personal dig.
Is it though? It's a joke, and one that has turned out to actually be true.

Dig at me and at anyone doing comping.
No, that was a response to a crazy claim that you made. You said something to the effect of "everyone fixes everything in the DAW". That simply isn't true. You projected your false ideas, and perhaps own personal issues, onto others. My response was a response to that.

Another dig at anyone needing to comp, and still a lack of understanding, or intentionally ignoring other valid uses for comping besides fixing "shitty playing".
That wasn't a "dig" at all and had nothing to do with "shitty playing". It applies to the broader point of if it's a good take, you don't need to keep redoing it. If you nail a take, it's good. Why keep going? Unless you just want to. Knock yourself out. I said as much.

More of the same....
An obvious joke and extreme exaggeration. If you took that seriously, then you're OBVIOUSLY just fishing for anything to fight about.

And more negative stuff about comping....
That's not a negative about comping, that's a negative about bad playing. Comping is actually a good thing in that regard. Holy crap I said something good about comping. Sorry you whiffed again.

Again....there was none of that shit in this thread, until you decided to take it there after my first post.
Been there, seen that way too many times with you.
It's like....you just don't seem to feel good or you can't seem to have a discussion with any kind disagreement....without taking some personal shots and tossing out some mocking digs to try and knock to other guy down some... in order to boost your views.
Why is that....?
It's not what you say, it's how you say it, and you know I'm not the only one to point it out. Not even in this very thread. You do the very thing you accuse me of, except you try to hide it behind smileys and thinly veiled generalizations. I just come out and say it when I think someone is acting a fool. My bluntness is a blessing and a curse. I know it. Your passive aggression is your own curse.

I would have no problem with you simply saying...."I don't like to comp."....but you have to also make it a point to imply/suggest that comping is some how inferior to whatever way YOU choose.
That's the thing with you that derails many a thread....your need to mock & ridicule the other person at some point, as way of validating your opinions.
This is where you really get it wrong. I didn't imply/suggest anything. For like the millionth time, I don't think and didn't say anything negative about comping! I said that i like to do tracks in one solid take, so did others. Where's your self-righteous indignation for them? Oh right, if i say it, you gotta go batshit crazy. Lol. WTF is your major malfunction on this? I don't have to imply, I'll just say what's on my mind. You know I will too, so accusing me of sneakily implying something negative is very silly. If, IF, I thought comping was a bad thing, I would have said so. I have no problem speaking my mind on other things, why would this be any different?

Now go and tell me some more you're "just kidding" and how I'm taking it all the wrong way....blah, blah, blah.....

I'm not kidding, and you are taking this the wrong way. Scratch that, you took it the wrong way, now you're just flailing wildly.

Last edited:
I'm interested in recording and I also happen to be a lover of recording history, how it developed, the marriage of art, technology, social constructs and engineering in a musical setting. Not everyone is.
Anyway, when I've listened to songs and albums, beyond digging them, I'm interested in the people that made them, some of the circumstances that motivated/inspired the songs, genres and movements and by extension, how they were created and recorded in the studio. I'm interested in reading about the standard and off the wall things people did. Truth is, it doesn't enhance my enjoyment of a song and whether an acoustic guitar was recorded with one mic or two or had a little electric guitar imperceptibly fed in for texture, an acoustic will sound like an acoustic to me.
But I am interested and with that in mind, virtually everything that has ever been done in a studio, to me, is of value, even though I may choose not to do it. I'll experiment with most things once but because I choose not to pursue a particular action, it isn't casting a moral judgement on it. I think John Lennon's vocal on "Revolution 1" is great and he was lying on the floor when he recorded it. Not for me, sir. Many drummers used to stick a towel or bunch of tissues taped to their drums for a deeper sound. I love the sound that they got but I'd rather not {unless it was maybe to take a ringing away on a quiet track} because I find I can't get the drums to cut through as I like when they're too deep.

There are loads of things I'll try and have stuck with and things I don't do anymore. I remember when I started playing guitar and I was going to learn every chord even if it killed me and to hell with a capo. After 5 years I was in that music shop looking for a capo ! By detuning, varispeeding and using the easier alternative tunings and that capo {sometimes all together !}, I can play all kinds of exotic sounding chords and strange voicings and to me it sounds wonderful. I'll "cheat", I'll be straight ahead. I want to have fun in the "studio." I'll edit, double track and scream down the corridor into a mic placed in the bathroom for 'tile' effect. I'll play things straight through or put together tracks in bits because I might find it hard to play in one go. 20 minutes of double bass ain't easy for me, you know ! 20 minutes of bass guitar, less bother.

My point is, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much everything that has been done in the studio throughout history has worked {even Mutt Lange's putting Def Leppard's songs together note by note} and that's good enough for me. I just don't choose to do everything that can be done in the studio. I choose not to do multiple takes and comp, not because it's an inferior species {it ain't. I think it's one excellent way ~ among many others} but because I prefer a different way. I have comped. I may one day do so again. It doesn't fit into my current desired methodology.

I record in sections and comp from many shitty takes, so fuck all of you :D.

Hows them drums coming along? I comp'd them together 1/8 note at a time.

Uh oh, Greg did it again! He's incorrigible!

/joke
/joke
/joke

That was a joke. a bad joke, but still a joke.

For like the millionth time, I don't think and didn't say anything negative about comping! I said that i like to do tracks in one solid take, so did others. Where's your self-righteous indignation for them? Oh right, if i say it, you gotta go batshit crazy.

I also said I do a lot of stuff as a complete takes, along with comping some things....it's just that because I was then one posting, you decided to take some shots at me.
When others mentioned comping before me, you didn't say any shit about it then.

It's OK....this thing with you coming in and taking shots at me in threads is all too familiar, and has been going on for a few years now....so no, I'm not taking anything out of context or misunderstanding your intent.

I guess it was just my turn at bat again....but I'm sure by the weekend someone else will get your "misunderstood" attention. ;)

But I am interested and with that in mind, virtually everything that has ever been done in a studio, to me, is of value, even though I may choose not to do it.

I just don't choose to do everything that can be done in the studio. I choose not to do multiple takes and comp, not because it's an inferior species {it ain't. I think it's one excellent way ~ among many others} but because I prefer a different way. I have comped. I may one day do so again. It doesn't fit into my current desired methodology.

Same here.....the studio for me is a lab where almost anything goes, and most things are valid if they serve the finished product....and DAWs blew that out wide open.
I also agree that everyone has a way that works for them and fits their style...which is why I found the little negative shots about comping rather silly.
As I originally responded to you and Armistice....all I said was that comping was in some ways not much different than punching in or recording in sections, and that all approaches were legit.

Talking about what's the better, "more right" approach is kinda like this video clip:

Like....do listeners ever get all concerned if it was 2 takes or 10 takes for the bass guitar....or did you record it in sections.

:D

As I originally responded to you and Armistice....all I said was that comping was in some ways not much different than punching in or recording in sections, and that all approaches were legit
I don't think there's not much difference between sections and comping because when you comp, the thought process excludes the possibility of doing one single take and using that. If I'm doing a vocal on a song with vocal parts in different places, my intention is to get whichever part, say, verse 1 in one go. I may have to repeat it until I'm happy with it but that rarely will run to more than 2 or 3 goes. Some of my songs may be long, the verses aren't ! So all the nuances in phrasing of the verse or whichever bit I'm doing are part of the thought process and execution. If I later get an idea to do it a different way, I just re~do it.
I'm not concerned with being able to play it live, I'm concerned with enjoying it in my old age when I listen to it !

I also said I do a lot of stuff as a complete takes, along with comping some things....it's just that because I was then one posting, you decided to take some shots at me.
When others mentioned comping before me, you didn't say any shit about it then.

It's OK....this thing with you coming in and taking shots at me in threads is all too familiar, and has been going on for a few years now....so no, I'm not taking anything out of context or misunderstanding your intent.

I guess it was just my turn at bat again....but I'm sure by the weekend someone else will get your "misunderstood" attention. ;)

Well holmes, I didn't say anything about comping because I have nothing against comping. You keep trying to portray me as this comp hater with a hidden agenda and that simply is not true at all. I don't comp takes because I prefer not to. I get personal satisfaction from blasting through a take in one go. That's all. Really. Nothing more to it. If I ever want to, I'll comp the fuck out of everything. But I don't. It's not the fucking end of times. Again, it was just the way you said what you said that popped out to me as miropreach so i made a joke about it. Maybe you could lighten the fuck up some. I know I keep you on edge, but damn dude not everything is as bad as it seems. Hell, joke back! Have some fun. Lighten up. Take a shot at me. You know you want to. It's eating you up inside because you used to do it, but you don't anymore. It's all serious miropreach all the time. It's all passive aggressive fake high road. That's a way worse look because it's sooo transparent and flimsy. Joke back dude. I don't care! I mean shit, one little joke and you go apeshit. You absolutely DID take everything out of context and then used that to just make up lies and put words in my mouth. But I get if you getting offended fueled you temporary insanity. I know you will stop at nothing to defend yourself. That really was not my intent. It was just a silly little quip. I'm sorry for offending you.

I don't think there's not much difference between sections and comping because when you comp, the thought process excludes the possibility of doing one single take and using that. If I'm doing a vocal on a song with vocal parts in different places, my intention is to get whichever part, say, verse 1 in one go. I may have to repeat it until I'm happy with it but that rarely will run to more than 2 or 3 goes. Some of my songs may be long, the verses aren't ! So all the nuances in phrasing of the verse or whichever bit I'm doing are part of the thought process and execution. If I later get an idea to do it a different way, I just re~do it.
I'm not concerned with being able to play it live, I'm concerned with enjoying it in my old age when I listen to it !

I get your perspective and how you apply it to recording sections/verses/etc.
The reason I was suggesting that it's similar for comping and punch/section recording is when you look at the final, complete track.
In that regard, you're assembling a complete track with punch/section recording, which to me is no different than what you do when you comp.

What I was saying earlier though...was that rather than looking at the phrasing nuances of just individual sections...I like to record say, three takes one right after the other, and preserve the same vibe for all three complete takes, so then when comping to one, that same vibe will remain throughout no matter which sections is taken from any of the three takes.
When done with punch/sections....each section could(?) have its own vibe that doesn't quite match the other sections when assembled into the complete track. I mean, it can happen...but it's certainly still very doable if you are conscious of that when doing individual sections.
In the end, it's really just a question of what's more comfortable for everyone. :)

Well holmes, I didn't say anything about comping because I have nothing against comping.

Read post #62 where I quoted you. :)
Those were all little digs related to anyone doing comping.

You know...I actually believe that you don't have anything against comping....and that all those little digs were/are nothing more than your attempt to stir things up.
That's what you do...which is the part that's kinda lame.
In many threads, you ultimately agree and say you're not against something, after you spend 20 posts indirectly "disagreeing" just because you want to stir things up with someone.

Greg, I don't need you to agree with me on anything, and I don't think anyone else really needs you to agree with them....but why do you always need to toss out little snipes and mocking comments, the LOL facepalms...etc...etc…when you disagree…?
You really go out of your way to stir it up in that manner.
I may get very involved in some on-topic debate, and you may not like the fact that I post long responses and give my detailed views....but I never start shit with you or other legit members by stooping to personal snipes and mocking comments.
For fucks sake....get over that shit already. It just derails the threads and chases people away.
We can debate and disagree all you want....without that shit in the thread.

Read post #62 where I quoted you. :)
Those were all little digs related to anyone doing comping.
See post #65 where I explained it all. Funny how you just gloss right over that. :facepalm: < Uh oh!

You know...I actually believe that you don't have anything against comping....and that all those little digs were/are nothing more than your attempt to stir things up.
That's what you do...which is the part that's kinda lame.
In many threads, you ultimately agree and say you're not against something, after you spend 20 posts indirectly "disagreeing" just because you want to stir things up with someone.

Greg, I don't need you to agree with me on anything, and I don't think anyone else really needs you to agree with them....but why do you always need to toss out little snipes and mocking comments, the LOL facepalms...etc...etc…when you disagree…?
You really go out of your way to stir it up in that manner.
I may get very involved in some on-topic debate, and you may not like the fact that I post long responses and give my detailed views....but I never start shit with you or other legit members by stooping to personal snipes and mocking comments.
For fucks sake....get over that shit already. It just derails the threads and chases people away.
We can debate and disagree all you want....without that shit in the thread.

Wow apology retracted. You really have a serious problem. Several actually. One, there were no digs. For the billionth time, no digs. That you refuse to even hear me, or anyone, is part of your problem. You are so full of yourself that you take everything extremely personally. Again, lighten up dude. For real. A faceplam sets you off? Seriously? That's "stirring things up" to you? Why do you think that little emoticon exists? It means "this guy said some stupid shit", without having to actually type it out. You act like I'm breaking some rule by using the forum-supplied emoticon. I know why it bothers you though. It bothers you because you can't fight it. You so badly want people to engage with you so you can argue all day and night that a simple LOL or facepalm leaves you empty. How do you argue with that? You can't and it drives you in-fucking-sane. I never really thought of it that way before, but it makes perfect sense now. Meanwhile you toss out your eye roll smileys day and night. You think your own shots at me and others go unnoticed? Lol. You simply cannot let anything go. Ever. You lie constantly. You do need people to agree with you. You so badly want to be the HR guru. I'm fine with that, but occasionally someone, even I, is gonna dare to disagree with you, and not do it on your terms. You are in a deep state of delusional denial man. It's weird. Play the victim, be the hypocrite, pretend you're on the high road, I'm the bad guy, your glass house is very fragile. Good luck with that. Preach away, preacher. See ya next time.

Oh well, I guess you won't....or can't....?

So we move on until the next thread.
I'll be happy to point out to you when you're sniping and mocking on someone for no reason, since you seem to think I'm just making it up, and 'cuz you obviously don't even notice when you do it...or you do, and just don't care.

Hows them drums coming along?

I'm not getting any time to work on music right now - all my time is spent on studying for my uni course starting this later month. My new room sucks, too - no space for my bass traps, so I just know any vocals I record are going to be terrible. I might be able to squeeze some in temporarily and surround the mic, but I can't trap the corners, so mixing will be tough. Although, I just found out my college has a practice 'garage' and recording studio (running Reaper) that you can hire out, so I might try and book some mixing time there at some point.

Anyway, this is all very OT!

I go right to binary level with comping these days. I physically examine each 1 & 0 for a take and keep only the perfectly oval or straight ones...

Painstaking but totly worth it.:D

---------- Update ----------

Channel->Mute

LOL - see what you've started... ;)

I dunno about anyone else, but even if anyone said comping made me a lame assed excuse for a wanna-be faker of a musician, it would make me want to get as good as comping as i could, and use the 'Armistice binary method' exclusively. Back of the oval, ten past three, if you disagree and wanna prove your point :D

Back