Do you really buy that expensive recording software?

Do you buy that expensive recording software, or just download it?(Read authors post)

• I buy it. I like to support the creator.

Votes: 564 41.2%
  • I download it. To hell with the creator.

Votes: 305 22.3%
  • I do both. I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Votes: 501 36.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, Deadboyy, I didn't attack you. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. You came back swinging. Being poor is not an excuse to steal. Sometimes you need to hold what you got until you get yourself to a place when you can afford the things you want. I used Cakewalk HS until I could afford Sonar. Those are the breaks. Deal with it. The effective range of an excuse is Zero. You get nowhere with excuses...

Vice

I remember back in several years ago, when the hype of Cake's Pro Audio goes trend. I couldn't afford it by then. What did I do ? I download the demo.. Trial time limited demo. Use it for 30 days. What then ? it locked up. Easy.. Reformat your HD, reinstall Windows, and Cakey.
There you go, it's yours for next 30 days..
:D Yess, you can call me an ass holes.. :D But I bought EVERY single soft I use now :p

well I guess it doesnt really matter. Blue Bear and half of the other people that responded, Just attacked me as a person, and didn't really attack my views on the subject , well execpt (viceversa) which is the only guy that responded to any of my points. The rest of you just freaked out, and attacked me as a person.

But like I was saying, I guess it really doesnt matter, and this thread is just repeating itself now.

Bottom line. If you get it for free, it doesnt matter.... If ya pay for it, it doesnt matter, this thing started out as a poll right?? Then turned into a (put your 2 cents in) , then went to people fighting over this subject, like a bunch of little kids (that includes alot of people that want to make out like they are mature, upstanding citizens)

But the poll has been taken, and the results are in, (the rest of this shit is just pointless)

Deadboyy - I hear your point on the poor people pirating the expensive software, but what happens when you begin to improve and need new hardware?

Also, should the same apply to copyright infringement? If you wanted to be a songwriter and were limited in talent or didn't have the money to buy "how to" books, should it be ok to take someone else's song and make money like Vanilla Ice? Fianlly, after you become a full fledge recording guru will your services be free for anyone who is poor? Can I send you some tapes and you do the mixdowns for free?

I think it´s morally wrong to buy computer software.

I also think it’s morally wrong to buy computer hardware, but unfortunately I can’t download it for free.

Deadboyy...

okay, let's respond to your question.

first - if you pull down software off eDonkey, and pirate it because you "can't afford to buy the software anyway, so it doesn't matter that it's pirated as the company wouldn't see any cash for it" (paraphrasing).... do you remove it from your shared files folder?

Or do you leave it in and let others pirate it from you? Are they all poor?

The propogation of software among those who *can* afford it but don't buy it because they can leech it from p2p like you... THAT'S what sticks the companies in the pocketbook. And causes those who do pay to pay higher prices. And how deep are their pockets? Bill Gates and Microsoft don't make too many audio apps. Most companies are 3 and 4 guys deep, working on very thin margins.

Let's talk about "poor" in the first place - you must have money to pay for the computer you're on, your internet connection, and the music hardware you use (assuming you're not doing everything through software). I checked out your website - doesn't look like you're missing too many meals.

For the price that you paid to register your domain name, you could have bought *3 copies* of a 24-track audio / 256 midi track recording application. Is it the biggest name? No. Is it the most popular? No. Has it been reviewed as being in a league with Logic Audio, at about 1/10th the LIST PRICE (which is still 10 times what I paid for a copy)? Yes.

www.databaseaudio.co.uk
www.audiomelody.com
audacity.sourceforge.net
www.thepluginlist.com

all these sites are chock full of audio FREEWARE. When you don't have money, you can go two ways - you can dig a little deeper to find the tools that can do the job legitimately, or you can slack out and take the easy way.

and on other topics raised in your posts - yes, many of the people who write the programs frequent this (and other similar) boards.

But I will hand it to you - you have some pretty big balls. Coming on to a board which logs IP addresses, posting a public profile that links to your webpage, and shouting out that you use pirate software? I wonder how many people from the BSA troll these forums.... I wonder how many of the moderators forward your info as a courtesy to the BSA... shouting out is like buying drugs on the corner without checking for cops first.

sleep tight.

- housepig

Deadboyy and the other kids...

In one of the Startrek movies Spock declined to discuss death with McCoy because there was no common frame of reference. I am now 46 years old and while I have the frame of reference to understand you, it occurs to me that you do not have the frame of reference to understand me. I can attempt to explain to you, and because I am an egotistical optimist, I can even convince myself you’ll understand. Maybe. God knows my kids don’t.

You and those like you who advocate forgiveness for theft because (choose one) you’re… poor, not poor, a minority, not a minority, short, tall, etc. are only rationalizing. That’s okay. I do it too. But theft is theft. If you want to excuse yourself, welcome to humanity, but don’t go to bed thinking that your position is right, or that you are an adult. By your words and your acts you scream your immaturity to the heavens. You think of yourself, not of others. There is no more prominent hallmark of immaturity than thinking only of your self.

You?re all wrong, and I see a lot of ignorance here. Every one of you who posted in response of that dumb ass kids point of view is a worse person for doing so. You know you?re above that, so why can't you just let it slide and realize for yourself that he?s a moron and that you?re above him... It?s hard huh?

I mean what he said was obviously not the same opinion you guys have, and he really didn't get his weak point of view across very well due to his lack of proficiency in the English language. But you guys saw someone who didn't agree with you so you jumped on him. I agree he was being a troll, probably without even knowing it from his own ignorance, but you guys still showed some of yours. I see that so often, people get so offended that someone doesn't think the same as them, and they resort to petty insults and nit picking. They comment on their spelling and grammar, and how they're probably just a prepubescent troll, etc... The fact that he's 14 and his writing abilities aren't up to par with many of you who are double his age isn't really relevant. I see this all the time when trying to explain something to a person. They don?t understand, or they don?t want to understand so they result to picking apart my spelling or maybe my ability at using computers, or something petty like that. It just shows that they don?t have a leg to stand on in the subject that we were originally discussing. In this case every one of you had legs to stand on against his comments but you still decided to discard them for a while? I don?t get it.

You can't just make a generalization that because of his age and his spelling that there is no merit in any of his words. In this particular case there wasn't really and he was kind of a dumb ass, but still. So why didn't you guys just say that, instead of resorting to a childish level of arguing? I mean if he had half a brain he would have seen that the general mentality of this board is strongly against pirating soft wear. He should have shut his mouth and kept his dirty secret to himself, so he didn?t rile people up.

ambi...

Shut up.:p

And what's with the "artistic" use of question mark?s???
Is your " ' " key broken?

Besides, I recanted the 14 yr old part. Did you see his webpage?

It's called this piece of shit always replaces my punctuation with question marks for some damn reason. Well at least you understood my point, it shows that you're intelligent. Another point in case for what i was saying.

You make some pretty good points

Ummm Yeaa...

Ambi, you make sense to me. I think you where right on the mark, with most of your statements about "Me" and "Most of these people"

and umm ,, I am 22 years old.... um?? I dont know why I had to explain that? Yea I dont care about my grammer when I type, I am in college, if I couldnt really spell, I wouldnt have made it out of high school.

(ps) that webpage was made by most of my art class, when I was in the 11th grade. Started out as a project, and we just left it up there to practice our (Flash 5 abilities). Which is a program most of you wouldnt even begin to understand , or use. But hey , what do I know? Im just a 14 year old kid?

They part where I acted without common sense is trying to take on everyone on this board, (yea that was pretty stupid)

sorry deaddboy i didn't mean to pick on you. I didn't read your webpage, and i also don't usually give a shit about my gramar or spelling in posts so i feel what your saying. You did come off with a bit of the wrong attitude to most of the guys here and it showed in their responses. But i've encountered situations like yours before, even though you may have been in the wrong i don't think your spelling and gramar have anything to do with it.

Anyways, yea. I didn't mean to offend anyone but we're here to learn about recording not bickering.

And i mean that, i love you all.

You can build a whole PC studio with the free software that's included in each month's issue of "Computer Music", a UK mag that's sold here in the states at Border's Books (and maybe Guitar Center - I know I've seen sister mag "Future Music" there).

Each issue comes with a copy of Computer Muzys 1.1 - a full functioned VST 2.0 compliant multitrack sequencer / digital audio recorder, plus a soft sampler, a software drum machine, a few soft synths, and a bunch of cool plugins.

An issue is less than $10. Is it really worth your immortal soul to save $10?

Check out the magazine online at Computer Music UK .

Re: OK ALL YOU HOLIER THEN NOW PEOPLE.

smellyfuzz said:
Let's just remember one thing.

Ever taped a song off the radio, did you pay for that ?

Ever recorded off HBO ?

If you ever tried pot, you support murder, prostitution.

If you fill your car with gas, you support the Mid East terrorists.

How many of you guys cheated on your wife or girl friend.
None of you ? It has been proven that 70-90% men do cheat.

How about, cheating a little on your taxes. Anybody ever do that ?
I bet no here on this web-site has.

Wait, I've got a good one, how many people at this web-site have excelled the speed limit.
Endangering yourself and more importantly the family in the mini van you just passed and flipped the bird to because THEY were doing 55 in the LEFT lane.

Anyone ever keep the extra change that was given to you by the poor register clerk ?
He/she may have been fired because of your dishonesty.

EVER SELL YOUR OLD CAR & NOT DISCLOSE ALL THAT WAS WRONG WITH IT.

Before we all start casting stones, perhaps we should work on our own flaws first.

LOVE BABY,

SEAN

Damn, I did all that, and more. I'm so ashamed.

You don't have to do any of the three. You can buy cheap software at best buy for ten bucks, or even cheap good software like n-track for like $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back