Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

How do you feel about your singing voice?

• I love my voice!

Votes: 95 12.4%
  • My voice is o.k., but could be better.

Votes: 186 24.2%
  • I have mixed feelings about it.

Votes: 214 27.9%
  • My voice is not so good, but I live with it.

Votes: 103 13.4%
  • I hate hearing myself on tape. Sometimes I want to quit.

Votes: 170 22.1%

• Total voters
I hate my voice. It's a bit strong. I have a generally deep speaking voice, so I tend to overpower a lot of things. I've been trying to find my medium for years.

I sometimes make a recording of my voice and think...oh that's not bad. Other times I detest it and wish I sounded like someone else! Sooo - I went for the mixed feelings option.

I don't have a good voice but I love music. I love to sing so I live with it. But I don't sing when I'm with people who can really sing..hehe

I used to dislike the sound of my voice ... until I heard it a billion times. It took years though to hear it the way others do. Now I do love it... or whatever is going to be left of it when I'm done.

Personally I really like my voice... but then again everybody seems to like their voice and then they get up on American Idol and embarass themselves soooo ;) I suppose 'not' liking your voice is more of a good thing since it means you can tell you have room for improvement.

I'm a closet musician so nobody else has heard my singing voice :o To me it sounds horrible though. Well, maybe not horrible...but bland and without much character.

i do a little bit on a tascam 8 track,i fucking hate my voice....so hey listened to one track...dont be so hard on yourself bud,your voice is cool

Sometimes I like mine, other times I don't. Hearing yourself back isn't really going to be too good at the best of times is it really

I was always told I "couldn't sing" at school, but I eventually started singing live, just because I was playing solo or with other non-singers at the time. Now I thoroughly enjoy singing, and I'm confident in it, but I'm not sure how far I like the sound of my own voice on recordings. There's nothing massively wrong with it, I just don't think I'm necessarily the kind of singer I'd enjoy listening to myself!

When I started singing I loved my voice, since it was similar to the voice of my favorite singer at that time. As I moved on and started listening to new kinds of music I found that most singers I liked had a higher pitched voice which was kind of disapointing, since I was unable to sing those songs. Now I can sing them, and I like my voice, but feel I really have to push my voice's limits to get that singing style.

There will always be an uncomfortable period that you have to get through. It was awkward and strange to hear my voice at first, but first I got used to it, then I learned what I liked about it, and eventually developed a style that fits me. It's really just a matter of experience and overcoming insecurity.

Hate. Or hated, at least.

Really, REALLY hated it. Until I found out it was 'different' in a good way, according to other people. And then I was offered a job in commercial radio just as I was graduating college, and this weird voice of mine has been making money for me ever since. I never would have imagined this as I was growing up, and people were teasing me about my voice. Wish I knew then what I know now, so I could have had a great response for them. Nah. They wouldn't have believed me. I wouldn't have believed me, either.

For singing, I like my voice. I really like it actually.

Just talking, I FUCKING HATE IT. I sound really annoying. I sound like a hippie who has taken wayyy too many drugs.

I have always struggled a bit with trying to like the sound of my own voice. If I am speaking normally it sounds nasally and boring to me. If however I talk in some stupid foreign accent I sound much better to me lol. As far as singing goes, I have a couple of brothers' who have reputations round the place here in NZ based on the awesome range and power of their voices and are a couple of the best singers I know of. So, it's hard for me to compete with them Actually, let me re-phrase that. I don't even bother trying to compete with them 'cos I can't. When I record my voice I usually do quite afew takes and choose the best one, often phrase by phrase, and by the time it has reverbs and delays etc on it and it is in a mix I often get compliments on it. I don't always like it (sometimes I do), but I have been told many times by other people that they love the way I sang such and such a thing. So these days unless I am 99% happy with something I have sung/recorded I get rid of the evidence lol.

Back