Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

How do you feel about your singing voice?

• I love my voice!

Votes: 95 12.4%
  • My voice is o.k., but could be better.

Votes: 186 24.2%
  • I have mixed feelings about it.

Votes: 214 27.9%
  • My voice is not so good, but I live with it.

Votes: 103 13.4%
  • I hate hearing myself on tape. Sometimes I want to quit.

Votes: 170 22.1%

• Total voters
I voted, 'My voice is o.k., but could be better.' At first I couldn't stand my voice whatsoever. After a while you start to get used to it, but I also experimented with how I spoke and projected my voice. I don't mind hearing it anymore, but now I'm not so concerned about what I think. I'm more worried about if my voice is unique, if stands out enough(or too much), what I can do to improve my mic presence, etc.

I've always had a traditionally good voice, but when it comes to singing rock/indie with my band, I am always very critical of myself. It's a totally different ballgame singing your own songs and having to develop a personality/style. I think I make do, but it doesn't help matters that I either sound cold and emotionless or, if I'm purposefully emoting, my friends all say I sound "emo." Can not win.

My voice isn't terrible, my ability to hold a note is terrible... And I am having a really hard time coming up with a "style" that i feel comfortable with. I really need to do that.

It's a tough thing. I'd like to be able to sing like Bruce Dickinson, but usually have to sing each song a perfect 4th below him. On the other hand I've got a pretty unique sound and it doesn't sound bad. :)

I don't really love it, but I think it's not bad... And also think that it could be a lot better. Hated it in the beginning, but realized there's nothing to hate - we all have our own voices and it's great, there's no need to copy someone else's voice, no need to try and sound like some famous singer. It took me a while to realize that. I hate hearing myself on tape too, but I think that's more selfcriticism, so I voted on the ok, could be better option.

When i started singing. I went trough a emotional roller coaster as far as what i though about my voice. When i would sing live, in my head it sounded good. But then when we recorded our first demo. I was like" is that me???, there must be something wrong with the mic cuz that doesnt sound the way i hear it in my head. But then i started practicing more and more. I learned from recording my self and using that to change things. So i think i have found my own voice and style. I think that is the most important thing, finding YOUR OWN VOICE and STYLE. When i started i wanted to sound like 'so and so'. Thats how a lot of us start. But as you sing more and more you start to develope your own thing. Just dont stay on that mind set that you want to sound like someone else cuz you wont. Trust me i have played so much and have seen other bands and singers. Sometimes i can figure out who there trying sound like and it keeps them from developing there own voice. So do i hate my voice? not like i used to. Im starting to appreciate more and more the uniqueness of it. Hope that you see the uniqueness of your own voice and go from there :)

I like my voice on recordings about 10% of the time. Other than that I don't think I'm a good singer generally speaking. However, I have others tell me frequently that they like my singing. I tell myself that they're just being nice, but it happens too often for that to be the case.

weird how it is really......

I've always known my voice was good. I did opera. But hearing myself recorded made me go "That's good?"

Because when you've been complimented your whole life on what you're voice is, your ideal voice ends up being the one you hear which is certainly not the one others hear.

I find that my voice as of late doesn't have the laser focus I'd like it to. Working on that.

I just made a few songs and now im extremely self conscious about my voice! :( I cant figure out what im doing wrong!

I just made a few songs and now im extremely self conscious about my voice! :( I cant figure out what im doing wrong!

Maybe you suck....or maybe you don't and you aren't doing anything 'wrong' at all. Music is art. Art is subjective. While you may not like the sound of your own voice, others may love it. Show me an artist (sculptor, painter, whatever) who isn't self conscious at his/her gallery debut and I'll immediately show you an egotist.

I hate my voice. It sounds okay in my head, but to everyone else (and to me on tape) it's really whiny, and...well, I can't really describe it. It's unique. That's what people say when they don't want to offend. :p

Having a horrible unidentifiable mash of accents doesn't help either.

I have worked a lot with recording vocals. But i've never liked my voice. I don't know why but it sounds a lot differend when i record.

Back