Deacy build thread.

Guys, in my opinion, don't mod the deacy amp circuit.

Use something active ahead of it. You need high input impedance (say 1Mohm) in order to not load down guitar pickups, and to not interfere excessively with the guitar tone controls.

A simple buffer would be perfect if you don't want to always use the treble boost or some other pedal. You could perhaps build the buffer into the amp if you want, and maybe make it bypassable.

The resistors at the deacy input set the input impedance, but they are also providing a DC bias on the input (needed, since the amp is running off a single voltage supply). In a conventional input stage, one might see two identical resistors which would set the DC bias point at 1/2 V supply.

In the KAT deacy schematic, R1 and R2 are not the same, so the resulting voltage divider, by my calculation, sets a DC bias of about -1.8V. This would result in asymmetric clipping with larger input signals, and probably contributes to the overall sound. (And there is no point using this amp clean, is there?)

You *may* be able substitute higher ohm resistors in the same ratio, but I have no idea if that would work in the overall design.

I wouldn't mess with R3, unless you know what you are doing, as it is performing a different task.

Anyway, this is just my opinion!

@Steeno, great work sleuthing out the grounds and signal return issues!

Cheers Paul, and cheers for the advice too. I certainly won't be altering mine.

It seems I've had more than one issue going on here from the start.
I'll report back, hopefully with some audio too in the near future.

Too kin right Steeno.
I just had a lairy hour then.
I did the compression mod and ended up with a hum like AC hum.
so i took the back off and moved the switch further away from the treble booster pot, which it was right close too.
No differance.
Turns out my 10k pot had gone bad.
I've run out of 10ks now so i replaced it with a 50k until i get replacements
The hum is gone and the amps even tighter now i have the compression mod on.
Its awesome.
It's been a headache at times but its still the best £22 i ever spent.
Everyday i'm learning stuff i never knew about audio circuits and the way they work.
Thanks to everyone who has helped me out especially you Steeno.

Aw man. Glad to hear it worked out for you. :)
It's a worthwhile difference, isn't it?

I'm not especially impressed with the TB gain pot, or even the volume pot for that matter.
I'll probably replace the gain pot with a variable HPF or something like that. That might be more useful.

I did some footering over a song I'll be working on soon. Absolutely loving it!

Here's a bit of rough lead over a very very rough scratch track.

and an old vs new of Cheer Down.

Last edited:
Any danger of you building one now, Paul?

No, it is a long time since I picked up a guitar - although I have a mate who may be interested!

But I have a stockpile of projects right now:

JLM Audio Baby Animal Neutral 4 channel mic pre (in progress)
Racking up a Texas Instruments PCM4222 stereo A to D evaluation board (in progress)

Radio Shack PZM microphones for modding with Rick Chinn balanced amplifier boards. I won an ebay auction ages ago for 2 pzms, and they sent me 4.

And a couple of Group DIY projects:

PRR-176 vari-mu stereo compressor (feature vacuum tubes and *3* transformers per channel) (acquiring parts)
GSSL stereo compressor (clone of compressor from SSL 4000 series console) (acquiring parts)

So, plenty to be getting on with!

No, it is a long time since I picked up a guitar - although I have a mate who may be interested!

But I have a stockpile of projects right now:

JLM Audio Baby Animal Neutral 4 channel mic pre (in progress)
Racking up a Texas Instruments PCM4222 stereo A to D evaluation board (in progress)

Radio Shack PZM microphones for modding with Rick Chinn balanced amplifier boards. I won an ebay auction ages ago for 2 pzms, and they sent me 4.

And a couple of Group DIY projects:

PRR-176 vari-mu stereo compressor (feature vacuum tubes and *3* transformers per channel) (acquiring parts)
GSSL stereo compressor (clone of compressor from SSL 4000 series console) (acquiring parts)

So, plenty to be getting on with!

Is that all you have on the go |Paul?
Are you a man or a mouse :)

I've finished the deacy direct/headphones out board now it's all in place.
I'll have a go when i've had some food.
Later Mouse :laughings:

Is that all you have on the go |Paul?
Are you a man or a mouse :)

I've finished the deacy direct/headphones out board now it's all in place.
I'll have a go when i've had some food.
Later Mouse :laughings:

I'm more of a mouse than you'll ever be!

Good work Gentlemen!!!!

Nice to hear that 56 is working out for you Paul. Sounded great in those sound clips.

Now I need 10,000 units shipped to me by July for US distribution. Get to work men.

A little just wouldn't want a steady diet of it. Good for a one off or special spot during leads.

Now back to work on those export units!!!

Back