Condenser microphone needs gain at 10 for clear signal?

Gorilla_

Hey there! So I'm having a bit of an issue and I thought I'd ask for input.

So, about a week ago, I thought I'd upgrade from a blue yeti to an xlr microphone. I decided to pick up a Rode NT1 and a Scarlett Solo with a Mogami Gold XLR Studio Cable. It was working decently fine but then the next day I saw that I had to have the gain set to Max to be able to get a clear signal. But then that introduced a ton of noise/static too. I figured it might be the Scarlett that was the issue since a lot of people have negative reviews about it on Windows 10 and I also use Windows 10. So, I returned the Scarlett and picked up an Audient ID4.

I noticed that the mic was having the same issue and needed the gain to be turned up to 10 with the Audient ID4 to get a clear signal which, again, also included a lot of noise. I tried a different XLR cable that I had lying around years ago when I used another XLR microphone but it had the same issue. I tried a laptop instead of my desktop computer, but it had the same issue. I tried the laptop with different combinations of both cables, but, same issue.

So! I figured that maybe the Rode NT1 itself was maybe the problem. I returned it and ordered a new Rode NT1. But, I'm having the same problem again. What could the problem be? Ideas? Two bad mics in a row? Two bad interfaces in a row? My Mogami cable is messing something up?

The output monitor in the interface itself is not going to a healthy green signal unless I have the gain set to Max. Does this mean it has to be a flaw from my mic to the interface and I can forget about Windows as the problem?

Thanks! I wasn't sure where to post this because I don't know if the issue is the microphone, the interface, cables, or Windows.

Any remote chance you're addressing the mic on the backside?? (It does happen and I fess up to having done it a couple times)
This is the front side with the gold dot....

nt1.jpg

So, I've got an update. I just remembered that I had an old Scarlett 2i2 in my closet. The pre-amps work but I decided not to use it originally anymore because the headphone port is broken and I didn't feel like holding my cable against it anymore which was why I got the Scarlett Solo. Anyway, I tested the Rode NT1 with it and I have the same issue. Gain has to be turned up to 100 for a healthy signal but then there is a TON of static/noise. So does this mean that the Rode NT1 is the problem? 2 times in a row? What's happening?

Well, you always want to test with a different cable, especially if it was working ok one day and not the next.

If it's the same with the different cable, try the same mic on a different interface (a friend's, at a shop - looks like you did this at home) to determine if the mic is broken. If the mic works, then test a different condenser mic on your interface. Process of elimination...

Re-read your post (a little confusing), but it seems like you tried a different microphone and cable and had the same problem? Then it's the interface, or you've got a couple bad cables. I'd take everything you have to a shop and try things out.

"Clear signal" and "healthy green" are completely meaningless terms. What actual levels are you getting in your DAW? Like, where is it peaking at in dbfs?

Well, you always want to test with a different cable, especially if it was working ok one day and not the next.

If it's the same with the different cable, try the same mic on a different interface (a friend's, at a shop - looks like you did this at home) to determine if the mic is broken. If the mic works, then test a different condenser mic on your interface. Process of elimination...

Re-read your post (a little confusing), but it seems like you tried a different microphone and cable and had the same problem? Then it's the interface, or you've got a couple bad cables. I'd take everything you have to a shop and try things out.
Yeah that's my next plan! Sorry my post was confusing. I wrote it in a bit of a hurry before I headed out to class. Will try to edit/clear it up now.

Last edited:
"Clear signal" and "healthy green" are completely meaningless terms. What actual levels are you getting in your DAW? Like, where is it peaking at in dbfs?
Sorry I was just giving general terms based off of my interfaces since my scarlett only has green or red lights.

For actual numbers: When the gain is at about 80% it peaks at -60ish. Extremely quiet and a lot of noise when I turn it up to listen back. Almost sounds like I'm 50ft away. Only at 100% does it peak at -12 to -6ish and thats only if im about an inch from the mic. Then, there is obviously even more noise. It happens both with different cables (my mogami cable and the random cable I had) and with different interfaces (the audient id4 and scarlett 2i2 I had lying around). Similar results.

Last edited:
It's not that common but people have had serious issues with humid conditions before.

If you're certain you've ruled out the computer, the interface, and the cable then, yeah, that leaves the mic.
If you got the mic replaced and had the same issue I'm thinking the environment?

If you think it's plausible try storing the mic in a loose bag overnight with something absorbent in it - Dried rice or similar.

It's not that common but people have had serious issues with humid conditions before.

If you're certain you've ruled out the computer, the interface, and the cable then, yeah, that leaves the mic.
If you got the mic replaced and had the same issue I'm thinking the environment?

If you think it's plausible try storing the mic in a loose bag overnight with something absorbent in it - Dried rice or similar.
Nothing to lose I suppose!

at 35mvpa there shouldnt be any issue.
14mvpa sensitivity is fine on most interface preamps without going full gain.

I'd guess the cable or mic is bad. Youve already tried two different interfaces. Assuming the DAW is setup and your not seeing anything on the level meters...which if they were present might mean your headphones are bad? lol

at 35mvpa there shouldnt be any issue.
14mvpa sensitivity is fine on most interface preamps without going full gain.

I'd guess the cable or mic is bad. Youve already tried two different interfaces. Assuming the DAW is setup and your not seeing anything on the level meters...which if they were present might mean your headphones are bad? lol
Makes sense! Well, I just ordered a new random mic (AT2020) and a new XLR cable. They're coming today. Will test both to see if we can find out if one of those really is the issue. Then I can just return what isn't working.
Question, though. Could one of the pieces of hardware be permanently damaged and be damaging other components that get plugged into it? Or would the damage be limited to that component itself?

UPDATE: I got an AT2020 and new XLR cable today. I tested everything in different combinations. Both XLR cables I have are working with the AT2020. Both interfaces I have are working with the AT2020. Seems to be that its only the Rode NT1 itself that's malfunctioning. Regardless of what cable or interface I connect to it, it's generating a lot of noise/static. What're the odds that I get two bad NT1 microphones in a row? I have no clue what to do now. I just ordered the AT2020 for testing purposes and don't plan on keeping it.

Not sure what microphone to get now. I don't feel like chancing it on a 3rd Rode microphone. Seems like a few other people have had similar issues with it online.

very good, i dont know why but I like the repair threads?

a 3rd Rode?

Im very happy with the Shure KSM27, its a LDC, not quite as polished as the 44, but with the mandatory foam ball on it, I kept the 27 and sold the 44. You can grab them with holder and case candy for $150 and sometimes less. They sell well too.
Solid metal build and drop tested/Shure built...good stuff.

Shure KSM27 | Mixonline

Back