Can one record a professional quality recording with the vs1680?

Taylor,
Don't you feel like you've "gotten away with something" when you find a solution so elegant in it's simplicity? And cheap? I've also gotten an offer to take a couple of those office cubicle partitions home from my workplace. They have a thick, fuzzy surface and are filled with something firm but soft. I'm thinking of using them for drums next week to see if I can improve that, too. They have feet so they will stand alone or can be attached to some type of runner for a little more stablility.

Shaking Off the Sunday Morning Cobwebs,
jo

jo blo said:
...office cubicle partitions
I bought 4 of these at an auction the other day for a buck apiece. I plan to use them for instrument separation when I get the studio built.

Taylor

yo homies!!!

oops...

i finally saw the blanket tent thing!!! maybe that will help me too. my room is pretty dead but every little bit helps! my room is small and i get a light wash of reverb from my cymbals of all things. geesh!

:rolleyes:

the cubicle partitions sound ideal! ill have to remember that if i ever get a big room.

Sorry to bring this back up again, but...

...yes you can. Yesterday, I finally recieved a copy of a CD ep I'd recorded for a friend's band months ago (I hadn't even listened to the final mixes for about 6 months!). I played it at home and couldn't believe my ears!

I honestly didn't realise I was capable of production like that - for a start the drums sounded like an Albini production, but with extra punch & definition (something I've often found missing on his work. The guitars clang and chime and could shut anybody up who reckons that the POD can't "do" clean sounds. The string quartet sounds sweet, in all the whole thing sounds most definitely "professional" - to me at least.

The band are definitely "Alt.Rock", and if I knew how to post MP3s I'd let you guys judge. There's a certain "XTC"-ness about them - maybe Blue Bear might enjoy it. ;)

Two of the (but unfortunately not the best one - gaah!) tracks are on MP3 on the band's record label site - try http://www.monsieur-records.com and go to the "downloads" part. The band are called the Gregs. I'm NOT spamming, btw - the recording was all done on my VS1680, the kit was recorded with 4 mics (57 on snare, D12e on kick, overheads were AT4033 and Oktava MK219) in the most lovely ambient room I've ever worked in (now sadly gone) and all the guitars are POD'ed.

Tell me what you think.

But be gentle.

High !

Don't wanna be insulting, but...

I downloaded fridge magnets and this song is NOT what I would consider consumer cd quality level... IMO the voice is FAR too low. The beginning is too low, too. I simply hate to have everything flying around my head, after I turned up the volume a little...
The bass drum is a little too low, and the overhaeds too loud...

But it might also be, that I simply don't get the idea ;)

Nevertheless, it sounds quite fat and nice

Ciao

Axel

Zeke wrote:
"That sounds like a beneficial relationship you've developed there. Unfortunately, I don't have any stores like that around here. The music stores here have very little, if any, recording gear. It really makes it difficult to demo gear. If I want to demo anything, I generally travel to Dallas and visit my brother. '

Zeke,

What store(s) in Dallas do you demo gear at? I live in Denton, and am researching products to build a G4 based studio. I am a complete newbie at computer recording and any "hands on" or demo assistance I can get would help me immensely.

Thanks,
bingbing

professional? I wont be making a living from it but I just finished recording my bands 2nd album on a 1880 and got paid by a record company to do it. It comes out in sept.They must of thought it o.k. cause they spent money at a pro mastering suite to have it mastered.Normaly if they dont like the sound they dont get it mastered{or released}. Speaking of things coming out my poo just came out ,does that mean that its gay?

Back