Can one record a professional quality recording with the vs1680?

littledog said:

Perhaps this geezer is just misunderstanding headroom, or at least as you are using the term. Using your own (rather nicely stated) definition, one can conclude that certain engineering designs can produce an amplifier that can add more gain BEFORE it goes into clipping than other designs. If I understand you correctly (and it wouldn't be the first time if i didn't) that design would, by definition, have more headroom.

In my experience, preamps like the API and many Neve models can handle or add more gain (without clipping) than most other preamps on the market. They also both happen to be solid state units. The fact that they are solid state has absolutely nothing to do with digital clipping, which we all agree is pretty damn ugly. The tube units I have may or may not sound better once they are "clipped", but they don't have the initial headroom (by your definition) of the solid state units I mentioned. Personally, I'm usually not crazy about clipping any unit, regardless of design.

So, one more time if you would be so kind... explain exactly where this silly (and unimportant) dog is (again) going wrong? :confused:

i think i have confused myself now and its really too much to think about isnt it?

jo blo said:
When these things can be financed just like a jet-ski or sailboat, why not consider owning them? I am going on a single-item at a time kind of plan. Pay one off, get the next.
I definitely ascribe to this mindset.

I think you are better off buying good quality gear that suits your needs, even if it takes a while.

The great thing about quality is that it lasts, and it's an investment. If you buy carefully, and get a good deal, you can almost always get your investment back or close if you decide to go another route.

Taylor

wascal said:

i think i have confused myself now and its really too much to think about isnt it?

Aw c'mon wascal! At least call me some demeaning names or exhibit some sort of antisocial behavior! Otherwise, how will we know it's really you? :D

Taylor, since we're on the subject, I want to mention one other thing which has helped me greatly, and that was getting to know the owners and employees at two of the music stores I frequent most. Once they got to know me and realized I was serious about buying and using their stuff, they've become helpful to a great degree. A guy at one of the stores goes back to the recording department with me and we sit down and talk about all kinds of things, and try out different gadgets, sometimes for hours. He really knows the hardware, records at home, and has taught me quite a bit. Another fringe benefit of hanging out at these places 2 or 3 times a week is that now, one of them will let me write a series of post-dated checks for larger items and take my gizmos home with me instead of putting them on layaway or using the dreaded plastic. They also email me when new stuff comes in and they think I might want to see it. And if I have a problem with something or I just don't like something I bought, we just get to trading things around or whatever is needed. I've brought so many things home and turned right around and given them back. It has paid off for me to know these people well. Damn well paid off for them too (wonder if I have any vienna sausages or ramen noodles left)

peace
jo

jo blo said:
Taylor, since we're on the subject, I want to mention one other thing which has helped me greatly, and that was getting to know the owners and employees at two of the music stores I frequent most.

That sounds like a beneficial relationship you've developed there. Unfortunately, I don't have any stores like that around here. The music stores here have very little, if any, recording gear. It really makes it difficult to demo gear. If I want to demo anything, I generally travel to Dallas and visit my brother.

Check out what I just bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=889643684

This is a sweet unit. +75db gain. I want a VMP-2, and a GR mp2 and I will be set.

(wonder if I have any vienna sausages or ramen noodles left)

Pass the noodles :D

LMAO @ Pass the noodles

Taylor,
That looks like a very good preamp. Would you care to describe your system's hardware configuration? I would be interested to know how you have your things set up. Do you have a dedicated studio space? My dear beloved gave me a bedroom to call my own. It's average in size, and the sound is surprisingly good in there, especially for guitar, which I record rather loud whether clean or mean; it gets a fuller tone. I am sadly deficient in the studio furniture/workdesk department, and I'm sort of shopping around for a good corner desk, the L-shaped kind.

BTW what do you think of the RNC1773? I'm impressed

peace
jo

OMFG Littledog actually got wascal/jeap to concede a point. :eek:
Right now he's arguing with Harvey in the mic forum over the definition of mfg 'seconds'.

jo blo said:
Would you care to describe your system's hardware configuration? I would be interested to know how you have your things set up. Do you have a dedicated studio space?

It is, of course built around the 2480. I have a VGA monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse hooked up to the VS.

Monitoring is through a Samson Servo-170 into Yamaha NS-10M's.

Music and Backup burning is to a Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32S.

Here is where it gets interesting. I live in a 40 ft. travel trailer. :D I have my recording gear set up in the back of the trailer. I'll try and get a picture and post it later today.

The acoustical environment is at best horrible. Imagine the worst sounding room in the world, and there you have it. :( But, all is not lost. Harvey Gerst and sjoko2 (whatever happened to that guy?), showed me how to make a vocal tent with mic stands and blankets. The difference in sound quality was nothing short of phenomenol.

I am in process of modifying an old broken down house into a studio. I will have very little money in materials. I traded for a lot of material. I bought two pieces of glass that is 3ft x 6ft 8in x 3/8 in. for $11 at an auction. It is perfect size for control room to tracking room glass. Most of my musician friends are in the construction business, and they are going to donate their labor.

...I am sadly deficient in the studio furniture/workdesk department, and I'm sort of shopping around for a good corner desk, the L-shaped kind.

This is one area I have covered. I have two different desks that work well with the 2480. I bought both of them at an auction for $2.

BTW what do you think of the RNC1773? I'm impressed

I've never listened to one, but I can say I'm impressed too. How can so many professional engineers be wrong? I've never heard one single solitary negative comment about it. For the price, I don't see how anyone can afford not to have one, if compression is something they find useful. I'll definitely have one eventually. I'm eagerly anticipating the RNMP too. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Regards,
Taylor

harvey misunderstood me.

harvey is very sensitive about radio shack stuff.

i said "second tier" meaning as opposed to "top of the line".

i did NOT say factory seconds which implies a manufacturing defect.

MrZekeMan said:
Harvey Gerst and sjoko2 (whatever happened to that guy?), showed me how to make a vocal tent with mic stands and blankets. The difference in sound quality was nothing short of phenomenol.

Wow, do you have a page you might share with me on that?

Taylor,
Well, I heard an RNC today at Guitar and Banjo Emporium. Sitting in a rack next to an Alesis Nanocompressor, I asked my friend o play the sme tune through both. Oh my!!!
I pick up my RNC and a couple other smaller items tomorrow (payday). What a break I consider this Rnc to be, I was expecting to spend 800.00 plus for decent compression. This frees up important bucks for other things, like the Mesa V-twin preamp/overdrive. Have you heard one of those things on a guitar amp or even straight into a board? When I heard the price, 345.00, I almost died, but the very SECOND I plugged it in I knew it was what I sought to give my randall 100w 2x12 the sweetest and/or meanest tones you might get from any tube amp.

Good luck on your new studio project, you must be very anxious to get it done and get in there. The 40 ft. trailer scene must be somewhat cramped. No wonder you don't want to play!

Well, I'm back to recording drum tracks this afternoon...over, and over, and over LOL
I will scope to see if you are on the thread later....email if you like, anytime Taylor. I am...Sneakin_About@webtv.net

peace
jo

as for conceding a point i found myself preparing a response where i started arguing one side and then began arguing the other side as well and i flummoxed myself.

now i dont know anything at all.

wascal said:
as for conceding a point i found myself preparing a response where i started arguing one side and then began arguing the other side as well and i flummoxed myself.

now i dont know anything at all.

Holy Shit! Talk about ruining your image... keep this up, and you'll almost become, dare I say it... likeable?!!! :eek:

I suppose it could be stressful to be caught flummoxing one's self in a public forum. We, as discrete as might be expected from such a gathering, turn our heads and pretend not to notice.

jo blo said:
Wow, do you have a page you might share with me on that?
jo,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to answer this. I've been really preoccupied. The vocal tent aspect is really simple. Here is the post where sjoko2 first told me about it:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=28960&highlight=blankets

I went a step further, and draped a blanket over the top, so the tent was totally enclosed except the opening into which you are singing.

Taylor

Cool thing, Mr. Zeke -- in fact I was thinking all the time about something similar to that idea. I might have the necessity of recording in our cellar with concrete walls, low concrete ceiling a.s.o.. I though about singing aseat in our camping tent with thick blankets over and under it. Somehow the idea seemed too crazy for me to ask in here... But I think I'll give it a try ;)

Ciao

Axel

volltreffer said:
Somehow the idea seemed too crazy for me to ask in here... But I think I'll give it a try ;)
Treffer,

I bet it will work great. If you have the extra mic stands (you will need 3 total counting the stand for the mic) you might want to try this first. It is really simple to do, and works great. I'm sure you will see good results in your environment. The low ceilings are a killer.

Taylor

Taylor,
Thanks for replying....I was glad to see it, I've been sitting here the whole time, watching my monitor... I haven't eaten or slept... :p

I'm going to give that a try, I did have a little too much room on my last vox...did you like it better with the top on it like you said?

jo blo said:
...did you like it better with the top on it like you said?
Yes I did. It might not be necessary for rooms that aren't as atrocious as mine. Try it both ways. If you have carpeted floors, it gives you a complete enclosure except for the open end into which you are singing.

Taylor

Back