Brand new reel to reel decks ?

esotericality said:
thats what i eas leading toward, that the market for computer recording is definately capitalizing the desire to be a "rock star", leading more people to believe that since they have a computer, they therefore can become a rockstar. I believe its not what you have in physical objects; the set mentality of what you hope to accomplish and what you and your beliefs in what you can do with your equipment. I mean, its really not about your equipment, as much as it is about the emotion you portray in the soudns you create. I think this all makes sense.....

I think your ability to hear things or if you are recording yourself, abililty to write and play, probably the prior more than the latter (look at Kurt Cobain or Jack (first name correct??) Strype (sp?) for the White Strypes. Neither is a great player but I personally dig some of the tunes they have put out(I know, it is subjective). But like them or not, they both had the vision and not necessarily the greatest players out there, good enough to get their musical visions down on tape. Of course, sound engineers and mastering, maybe even session players I'm sure had a lot to do with the final product, but still the audio vision in your head/ears has to be there. There are others in history of rock as well, though some are decent players just not legends or gods, but the theory is the same. Making music, be it your own or recording someone else's is what we are trying to do, and you need to have that vision and hearing to make the tune. You need some basic tools to do this and to be able to manipulate those tools, but yeah you don't have to have the best of the best to make good recordings. I read through Harvey's post from a few years back that is bumped up again in the mic forum, and there is a good analogy in the beginning pages that uses car mechanic tools and drivers to bring a point to light. I think that is pretty representative of things.

Seeker of Rock said:
I think your ability to hear things or if you are recording yourself, abililty to write and play, probably the prior more than the latter (look at Kurt Cobain or Jack (first name correct??) Strype (sp?) for the White Strypes. Neither is a great player but I personally dig some of the tunes they have put out(I know, it is subjective). But like them or not, they both had the vision and not necessarily the greatest players out there, good enough to get their musical visions down on tape. Of course, sound engineers and mastering, maybe even session players I'm sure had a lot to do with the final product, but still the audio vision in your head/ears has to be there. There are others in history of rock as well, though some are decent players just not legends or gods, but the theory is the same. Making music, be it your own or recording someone else's is what we are trying to do, and you need to have that vision and hearing to make the tune. You need some basic tools to do this and to be able to manipulate those tools, but yeah you don't have to have the best of the best to make good recordings. I read through Harvey's post from a few years back that is bumped up again in the mic forum, and there is a good analogy in the beginning pages that uses car mechanic tools and drivers to bring a point to light. I think that is pretty representative of things.
yeah, thats pretty much what I meant. A good song does not need to be complex!!!! Off topic kind of, but kurt cobain used some vintage strats. And jack stripe (i dont know the spelling either) uses almost all vintage gear! The white stripes second album was actually recorded completly on nothing but vintage gear. Reel to reel recorders, everything!!! I just think thats cool, because they are still a pretty popular band, and also people will listen to their songs and think they have a bass player without knowing he uses some sort of octave effect!

Yo! :D , guys you're confusing the hell'outa'me ;)
Unless I'm hopelessly and chronically drunk, then I believe it would be safe to say, that Jack ain't Strype nor Stripe, but rather is White.... and same goes to Meg :D :D :D
anyhow.... heh heh
Here's a lil plug'n'blah for them at bbc.co.uk TODAY ....
and here's Liam's Toe Rag (at SOS)

these people are FREAKS .... heh heh gotta love them for what they are doing.... well, as for the music, that's another story ... ;) :p

Herm, I see that 22-4 may need a belt job!

I also see that 4 reels of "031" whitebox Quantegy 456-compatible media is included. About a year ago I bought a couple hundred new reels of 031 media. :eek:

I lost track of how many R/R's I have when it went above 14. I couldn't tell'ya exactly how many I have right now, but it's somewhere between 14 & 20,... I think. :eek:

On a side note, I just scored a "clean but broken 414mkII for parts" that I fixed the motor mount on,... & so got a handy deal at $37/delivered. That's my best gear value as of late.

I agree, that I personally don't need any new reel-to-reels, but instead maybe need a new house to put all this gear in!
(What's pictured is probably about a quarter of the gear I own).......... ;) :eek:
Some people say they think I have a gear addiction problem, but I dunno what they're talking about!! :eek:

Attachments

• Im00195b.jpg
    Im00195b.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I think I caught Jack White on the TV a while ago,...

& his whole act was a guitar, a small combo amp, a mic, and a chick playing drums! I gotta say,... it was cool and reminiscent of my own live-jamming days!

Anyway, it's not often you see a popular "named" performer doing live music on TV with nothing but an amp, mic & set of drums! :eek:

Ah Reel that is a thing of beauty there you have! Addiction? they say.
I would disagree. I just think we have good taste in equipment.
And I guess my pic shows half of what I have in the way of gear right now.
It doesnt show the 6 tascam mixers or my 32b or the two 388,s.

If the dbx unit works with that deal I will probably ebay it.

I really like that collection of Fostexs there. It looks like you have all of the small ones they made.

Herm said:
Ah Reel that is a thing of beauty there you have! Addiction? they say. I would disagree. I just think we have good taste in equipment.
Thank you! Gear addiction? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww!!!! :eek: Not me! :eek: :eek:

Herm said:
And I guess my pic shows half of what I have in the way of gear right now. It doesnt show the 6 tascam mixers or my 32b or the two 388,s.
I figured that!

Herm said:
If the dbx unit works with that deal I will probably ebay it.
That's what's called a "profit piece"!

Herm said:
I really like that collection of Fostexs there. It looks like you have all of the small ones they made.
Yeah, man! What's pictured is the Model 20, Model 80, R8, A8 (or A8LR, not sure), but what's not pictured is my "other" Model 80, A8's, A2 and E2. Further down the line you see the Tascam 34B, 38, MSR24, 32, and 34,... plus a couple'a mixers, a 244 and a couple'a 388s. There's another 38 not pictured, plus a whole slew of mixers, Portastudios and non-Tascam-digital-porta-clones. Late last year I also got a Pocketstudio-5 and a 788!!! (GASP!!!) :eek: ;) In fact, I have a sh!tload of other gear, not pictured, including LOADZ of Tascam rack gear, in the likes of 234's, RS-20's, GE-20's, PE-40's, MH-40's, M-1B's, MX-80's, and probably other stuff I'm just forgetting.
Gear addiction? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww!!!! :eek: :eek: ;)

Attachments

• Im002549hc.jpg
    Im002549hc.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
ZEE said:
Jerry, you're helluva'guitarist ! was skimmin' some of your streams. cool !
now, throwing at me riffs or what have you at the moment would be the same as throwing soybeans at the brick wall and hoping them to stick
I don't record/produce anything much at all. I sort of completely lost interest in kind of stuff I used to care about... and nowdays am not really sure what I want to play/record. I am just sitting in the corner, alternating between learning to play pop-church chorals on acoustic guitar and restoring cheap old drums...., and hoping for maybe some day a wild wind will swing some exotic seed over and drop it down on my back-yard's stale soil.... and then I may wait for a few rains and then for a few warm sunny days.... and all that sh*t... so maybe something will grow. I don't know.

That's cool, rock on with that then.

A lot of my gear still smells like fog machine, from playing many gigs.
But it is fading, and I'm growing itchy.

Dave, this has been spinnin in my mind for some time but you just made my mind up, except for the chair. I require leather. And the cheap aluminum cone mechanic's light, I would want something a little more ambient. Anyway, where do you live...screw my gear I want to record at your palace of analog. :)
Hopefully you'll cut a an analog brother a deal on time? :confused:

I've been traditionally all-buy and no-sell, but...

due to circumstances, I've toyed with the idea of Ebaying off a bunch of gear that's piling up, (heh: literally). Nothing at this moment, though, as yet TBD! :eek: ;)

BRDTS said:
And folks, future markets are kids.
And kids..as a whole...do not know analog.
Kids know Ipods. And computer recording.

But kids do not care...as a whole..for supporting analog multitrack products.
YOU might. But how many of YOU (or us) are there?
Based on the Studer situation. Not many.
And if YOU (us) say..hey we'll buy new machines if you price them at Ebay prices, the answer is basically, ha-ha-ha-ha.

Not entirely true. I'm 16 (i guess that puts me in the kid category ;) ) And i would be in heaven with a reel to reel recorder. Do i know ipods? yea... just got the new video one.. BUT that doesnt mean i like digital recording. I loathe it. i dont like the sound, I dont like the nature of it, and i think it take a lot of the fun out of it. There's not going to be a huge market for 24 track 2" decks or anything... but I think 1/2" 8 track and under might have a chance. I'm not totally sure how much they would cost if they made them new, but I still think people would buy them if they were under a thousand. I know i would. For now though, ebay. :D

Kasey said:
Not entirely true. I'm 16 (i guess that puts me in the kid category ;) ) And i would be in heaven with a reel to reel recorder. Do i know ipods? yea... just got the new video one.. BUT that doesnt mean i like digital recording. I loathe it. i dont like the sound, I dont like the nature of it, and i think it take a lot of the fun out of it. There's not going to be a huge market for 24 track 2" decks or anything... but I think 1/2" 8 track and under might have a chance. I'm not totally sure how much they would cost if they made them new, but I still think people would buy them if they were under a thousand. I know i would. For now though, ebay. :D

I feel what you're saying but don't expect any new recorders to be priced below $1000. That's just not going to happen. Back in the 80's, TASCAM 4 - 8 tracks retailed for about 3000 - 5000 bucks and the analog situation was quite different than it is today. Any new machines made by ATR next year, so the word goes, will cost at least that amount. They will be of the highest quality with no corners cut but the quantity of these machines will be much less, at least initially. Perhaps when TEAC sees the demand of analog tape decks, as the result of ATR's efforts, it will reintroduce at least some of their more popular decks. This is a big maybe but one must remember that it's all about demand and profits.

Eh,...

I'm pretty sure they'd have a market if they could sell new 1/2" 8-track decks on par with what the Tascam 38 sold for the latter part of it's run, which was $1995. Less would be better for the end user, of course. $1250? Manufacturing technology's improved, y'know. I dunno.:eek: ;)

A Reel Person said:
I'm pretty sure they'd have a market if they could sell new 1/2" 8-track decks on par with what the Tascam 38 sold for the latter part of it's run, which was $1995. Less would be better for the end user, of course. $1250? Manufacturing technology's improved, y'know. I dunno.:eek: ;)

I should have added that I meant in today's dollars when the recorders were first introduced. ;)

Hey man, I'm the self-proclaimed sucker of this group, pricewise, so I think I need at least that courtesy to speak...$2000 for a new half inch, you bet. I have invested a little over that including shipping, selling price, and professional maintenance as well as recalibration. So are there people like me out there who would pay that? Absolutely. It would be nice if they were $500 a unit, but I would like to drive a nice car, insurance and gas included, for $500 a year too.
$2000 for a new, quality machine doesn't seem so bad to me. :)

Seeker of Rock said:
$2000 for a new, quality machine doesn't seem so bad to me. :)
I'm not convinced we'll see them at that, the MSR16 was NZ$10k new in 1992 and I'm sure the TSR8 wasn't far behind. I had a wholesale account with the importers, so retail would have been higher. That was probably about US$5k at the time (more like US$7k now).

I wouldn't expect to see anything manufactured now in limited runs going cheaper than the pricing in their heyday. Sure, technology is cheaper but engineering probably isn't....and if they're developing new models then the development cost is going to be spread amongst fewer units.

My US$0.014 worth.... :)

Back