Brand new reel to reel decks ?

Well, got an email reply from US Recording:

"Soon means, unfortunately, next year. They will be manufactured by ATR in Pennsylvania. That's all we have. Thanks!"​

So the word seems to be that brand new, not restored nor refurbished, decks will be available next year.

Good Friend said:
It is not music when the ratios of the frequencies aimlessly wander without resolution.
So,... you've heard my stuff, eh? (heh, heh)

In brief, I do believe that true "art transcends the medium",... and no, I don't consider that my own original idea, just for the record.

Dr ZEE said:
Dave, I only can tell you this: "Tascam comes - Tascam Goes".
Hope this is understandable. ;)
Y'know,... actually I don't understand, but no offense intended, I assure you!

I pose this counter-question: If reality is only what you make of it (para), then why not go ahead down to Guitar Center and buy yourself a brand new Tascam 424mkIII or MSR-24,... and have a nice day!

On reflection,...

this topic really never goes anywhere. Now, the only thing missing is for "MCI2424" to come in and tell us we're all suckheads and losers! :eek: ;)

A Reel Person said:
Now, the only thing missing is for "MCI2424" to come in and tell us we're all suckheads and losers! :eek: ;)

That could prove very refreshing just about now.. ;) :D

Good Friend said:
Anyone who disagrees with this statement is going against the entire biological communities efforts and scientific discoveries.
And God Bless that anyone!
And, thus, Shall Free Art and Free Spirit Live.
:D

I wonder what role have "understanding of what actually goes on in your brain when you hear pitches" played when Adolphe Adam was laying down notes from "Fall on your knees..." to "...Oh hear the angel voices!". Those notes are painfully striking.
Or was it simply an effect of a good bottle of wine, which could be given to Adolphe by monsieur Placide Cappeau (uh, by the way, as an "inspirational" gift, and after all monsieur Cappeau must have known something about wines :) )
Or was it something else? hmmmmmmmm...

I'd go for something else.

/respects

BRDTS is repeating what some corporate reps told him, and likely that is what they believe. The are a profitable corporation just like Studer, just like Lexicon, just like Honda, etc. As a large profitable corporation you tend to go where the trends are, and he is likely correct about music companies predicting a continuing digital trend. However, this is just marketing. It's kind of like looking around you seeing what is happening combined with commissioning a few studies and yielding the results..."hmm, looks like digital is the place where the money is to be had...let's keep focusing there." However, should the trend shift those reps would probably loose their jobs for not catching it and Johnny Newcomer now is at his first NAMM show representing brand X's new consumer decks. The profitable companies produce what the consumer wants and successful ones produce what they make the consumer feel he or she needs and should not be without. The only creed I put into factory reps saying this or that about the future is that this is the best available information they have at the time and the safest bet, but unfortunately it is subject to change without notification. How BRDTS predicted it will play out sounds plausible, but again the future is just too unpredictable to tell for sure, by him or them, and especially not little ol me.

Mixmkr, there are probably more kids being snared by cut and paste and other digital editing tools to take something under par and make it sound like something better, but still horrid as playing ability, mixing ability, HEARING ability, etc. I can understand where analog could be misconstrued to do that if digital fails them first, but I'll bet analog reel is not where the majority of the estranged would-be musicians choose as their starting point. Case study:
I remember last year when a kid came to fix my cell phone at work and we got to talking about music. He was telling me how he had some software that let him cut and paste rhythms and parts to create songs and he would sing/rap over them. Maybe he was the next Eminem, but likely just a kid passing time with something accessible and that he did seem to know a lot about...software and how to make it work for him. Probably not a true musician, just emulating something in the style of one of his favorite recording personalities, simply because he knew how to manipulate software. He also told me about a video game he created.

Last edited:
Seeker of Rock said:
should the trend shift those reps would probably loose their jobs for not catching it
precisely!
The "problem" is - companies are way TOO large.
The hope? - small(er) (or better say - invisible) things: "Titanic flows - But, icebergs are there",
So, Boris, Predict This , :D

!!!

Let's not gloss over the "industry buzz" that cjacek sleuthed out of USRecordingMedia, that NEW analog reel recorders WILL be made by ATR Magnetics, by some time next year. That's good news, but in the big scheme of things, ATR Magnetics is a cottage boutique company, anyway, which follows BRDTS's statements.

;)

cjacek said:
Well, got an email reply from US Recording:

"Soon means, unfortunately, next year. They will be manufactured by ATR in Pennsylvania. That's all we have. Thanks!"​

So the word seems to be that brand new, not restored nor refurbished, decks will be available next year.

Very good news, Daniel!

Whether I personally ever buy new ATR equipment or not, it’s just one more manufacturer that sees something the mainstream is missing.

The mainstream will continue to miss anything that’s not on the guided tour schedule. The schedule has never been good for me, or artists in general.

It’s funny… last year, the “Tape is Dead” articles were all over the popular press – on TV and yahoo, etc. However, after Quantegy recovered, and RMGI and ATR Magnetics announced they would also begin manufacturing tape, we didn’t see any updates, corrections or retractions from these same media outlets. The story was over. But how can you follow something so dramatic as, “The Death of Tape.”

Consequently ebay sellers still come along saying, “You can’t get this tape new anymore.”

What is my point? (Eh, usually I have one… let me see)

Oh yeah… I know I will always use tape and analog as long as I live, even if/when it does fade sometime in the future. That’s never been my concern. I have so much tape I’m even going to sell some so I can walk in “That Room.” And I’ve always maintained my own gear.

I just want to hear good music again… music worth recording and recorded right. So I’m thrilled to see the lists of analog equipment at major studios, even though I’m not going to be able to afford, nor do I need what they’re using.

And this is for you old, fat and bald guys and gals. Do you remember the way you felt when you first heard “More than a Feeling” on Boston’s debut album?

Or for you really old and gray guys and gals in your wheelchairs, when you first heard “Go Where You Wanna Go” By The Mamas and The Papas, or Simon & Garfunkel “The Boxer” (that even sounds half-way good on CD, but on vinyl... look out!).

And this for everyone from 12 to 102… when you first heard KIZZ, “Detroit Rock City!”

That’s what I’m talkin’ ‘bout! :D

DA da-da da-da, DA-da da-da da-da da-da Bam-Boom! Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da CaBOOM-Pow! Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da....

Attachments

• kizz.jpg
    kizz.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
A Reel Person said:
they actually "fix" cell phones, and in the field no less?
Well, blow me down! :eek:

Yeah, when I was working for the govt. We always buy service contracts with equipment. You call in a problem to (formerly Nextel) Sprint, they send a cut-and-paste-free-audio-software-manipulating, violent-video-game-writing, rappin' kid who comes out to your office, and after he leaves you with your cellie operational again you no longer have an excuse not to answer your government-issued cell phone.

Good news about ATR!!! I wonder what size of machine it will be, or whether there will be a few different sizes to choose from. Proabably the latter.

Cool, man. :cool:

Dr ZEE said:
Dave, I only can tell you this: "Tascam comes - Tascam Goes".
Hope this is understandable.

A Reel Person said:
Y'know,... actually I don't understand, but no offense intended, I assure you!

I pose this counter-question: If reality is only what you make of it (para), then why not go ahead down to Guitar Center and buy yourself a brand new Tascam 424mkIII or MSR-24,... and have a nice day!
No offense intended? I'm not sure what'cha mean, man. Do you mean, that the fact that you don't understand something can somehow be offensive? :confused:
well, what ever.
Dave, if you measure reality by what you see in catalog, or at NAMM show or by what you read, when some reps of some companies publish something, then you get very , how shall I say it... hmmmm, - very "distorted" picture of reality. But, again, why not? - you are free to choose the reality for yourself (not the actual reality, but, rather, comfortable image of it.). People do it all the time, naturally.

/respects
Is it the Ocean? Or is it just the surface?
I choose to say: "It Is The Ocean." It's peaceful.
(photo cretits )

Attachments

• ocean.jpg
    ocean.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 49
Don't miss to click on "show" link!
"Hey, dude.... I was at last NAMM Show! Man...it was cool, man. The Lady In Red was talking about The Future of The Industry and ahhh, ..ahhh, about The Future Of Music. It was cool, man!
**** and...ahhhh....
Beer was good too, man!"

:D :D :D :D

Okay, I'm a sucker, but...

what are those NAMM photos supposed to imply?

As far as measuring reality by what I see in catalogs,... eh,... I stopped browsing catalogs as rabidly as I used to, when the 424mkIII went off the shelves.

Maybe in someone's opinion, "Tascam comes and Tascam goes",... which I still don't get,... but Tascam is the only game in town for analog Portastudios,... and I only consider Fostex cassette multitrackers as Tascam clones. So, if Tascam no longer manufactures brand new analog Portastudios,... who's gonna come along to fill the void? Or,... seeing that digital is all-pervasive, if analog Portastudios disappear completely, does that actually leave a void??

I agree, that somehow if the trends turn, then the "official" Tascam reps' stories will change accordingly, or they'll be ousted for missing the trend. However, it doesn't appear that the trend will turn back to analog. One can only wait & see, but in the meantime, if you're into analog recording, just get what you can now, because analog's not in the major's business plan!

Couple of interesting points:

ATR services, when I enquired some months ago, confirmed that they will introduce recorders made for the home recordist and that there won't be any short cuts building those machines. It will be done "right" was the word they used. From that I presume, no narrow track. It is very possible that ATR did their homework and will produce very high quality recorders catered to the home recordist, with some thought into pricing it accordingly. It won't be cheap but I think (and hope) they will make it accessible.

Second point: Did anyone see a pretty thorough report on the news last night about the failure rate of hard disc drives ? I'll spare you the details but the owner of the Data Recovery company said he was surprised people still use hard disc drives in light of the rather massive failure rates of these delicate things. Apparently people pay the company between 500 and 1200 USD to recover their data. I then immediately thought of a rare but worse case scenario of sticky shed tape. All it takes is an oven and following instructions on "baking" to extract precious recordings. Anyone can do it. Price: $0. :D

Add to this the report on the short life span of digital storage mediums like CDR etc ... and .... well .... you know what I'm sayin' ;)

cjacek said:
Add to this the report on the short life span of digital storage mediums like CDR etc ... and .... well .... you know what I'm sayin' ;)

yeah... Xcept my music is just bouncing around space forever... I just never bother to try and retrieve it :)

A Reel Person said:
what are those NAMM photos supposed to imply?
To imply: us (outsiders) as "the audience" and them (insiders) "on stage".
And to counterpoint a position such as: "Anyway, BRDTS is an industry pro, and he's getting his information directly from the "horses mouth", so it would be foolish to argue with him, or take issue with what he says."
You don't even need to draw comics. Just see real photos. :D
.... then I'm kind of thinking...hmmmmmm, maybe it is actually a good idea, that "Arguing with Lady In Red IS foolish". :D

mixmkr said:
yeah... Xcept my music is just bouncing around space forever... I just never bother to try and retrieve it :)

Well, now, let's consider this logically. If it were recorded to magnetic tape how much longer would it last? If the answer is three-fold, then wouldn't it be practical to consider pulling one of those reel machines out ( I think you said you had one still) to backup those 1'a and 0's you have them stored as?
Feel the force, Luke.

I've heard your music by the way and think it is quite good. Don't let it slip away forever. If no analog, at least re-burn what you have.

Dr. Zee, I swear you and I are on the same wavelength somehow, somewhere...what general geographic location are you in? :confused:

Back