Bounce to tracks

I'm thinking that the Creative is acting as a 'pre-amp' to some extent....

The question is, is it adding any 'warmth' to the tracks???

Porter

Porter said:
I'm thinking that the Creative is acting as a 'pre-amp' to some extent
That could be it, even if I doubt it.

Vice, have you turned on the EAX effects or something?

EDIT: Most likely not, if you're using the Microsoft drivers...

I was using Creative's drivers before I when I was using WinME. After doing all sorts of research before building my new DAW, I never bothered with them. After WinXP was installed everything seemingly worked. I don't think I used drivers from the manufacturer on anything except maybe the monitor. I'm questioning that now...

What I`m baffled about here is.... Why run the track information thru the valves again when all you have to do is use the "bounce to track(s)" option?

I was thinking the same thing when it occured to me. (Sometimes I am slow :p ). That's how this whole thing started. It's almost as though compression were added. But the only compression in the song is on one guitar track. None anywhere else. I am going to test things with the faders at midpoint.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Vice

ok, I keep my windows mixer settings at max for line in, wav, midi, and aux. I did a bounce to track..., no difference in audio picture. I did a mix and record to new track..., no difference to audio picture. Then took the wav setting down 2 notches in win mixer and recorded the track..., i got a corresponding decrease in wav picture size. I took it back up and recorded..., it was back to original size. Synopsis? I think the mystery remains..

I'm starting to think that either:

A) There is something strange with the Microsoft driver

or

B) Vice's computer is haunted :eek:

moskus said:
I'm starting to think that either:

A) There is something strange with the Microsoft driver

or

B) Vice's computer is haunted :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm thinking it's more of the haunted scenario. I have never had good luck with computers. I always end up with some unexplainable problem that no one can seem to help me with. I thought maybe with my new DAW I was good to go. I mean it works and everything is fine. It just doesn't make any sense. :( All I wanted to do is find some sort of consistency, some base line to which I could reference my recordings. With the last five projects I have mixed, nothing has come out the same. I was hoping this one would be the one. I'm still searching...

Vice

I've just dig my Electronic Musician edition Jan 2000...

It said that WDM, EASI and ASIO drivers tend to bypass Windows mixer on playback. BUT I'm not sure WDM will bypassing Windows mixer for recording (ASIO & EASI will anyway)... I know it's not SONAR's fault. But that seems the way it works. So, like Toki said in his post...

Vice, try to mixdown by recording again...

And by the time you record/mixdown with SONAR, open the Windows mixer Recording properties, and gradually decrease the recording wave slider untill you have it all the way down. Back to SONAR, stop recording and see the mixed down wave picture... You'll be surprised...

That's the answer... ;)

James Argo said:
That's the answer... ;)
But as long as the "Recording Fader" is set to max, they should be the same, right? The faders don't boost the signal, they only reduce it... ;)

moskus said:
But as long as the "Recording Fader" is set to max, they should be the same, right? The faders don't boost the signal, they only reduce it... ;)

I am thinking like you are thinking moskus...

Vice

moskus said:
This actually reminds me of a discussion I had in the Sound Card forum a year or so ago. In that disucssion, I took a position that was something along the lines of your recording volume is entirely controlled by your external equipment, and that the faders in the Windows Mixer and Sonar only effect playback levels.

My logic is that once the signal is digitized (i.e., goes through the A/D converters of the sound card) then that is the signal strength. After that you can only control is through DSP (e.g., Normalize, etc.).

I know that's the case with the Sonar faders, and it is also the case of the faders in the mixer for my Delta card.

However, this got into a heated debate, and it seemed (to me, at least) that most of the people arguing against me were owners of SB Live cards. Now I know the Live card has a preamp in the mic in jack, but I don't know about the Line in jack. I would have guessed it didn't, but this discussion and my previous one lead me to believe that maybe it does.

If it does, moskus, then the fader could increase the recording level. Which might also explain Vice's situation.

Anyway, this is just speculation on my part. Someone suggested a test - recording with the Windows mixer faders at different levels - which could shed some light on what is going on.

BTW, Vice, why you would re-record the mixdown in the first place excapes me. I would have simply exported it as a wave file, or bounced to tracks. Re-recording doesn't make a lot of sense to me. (But then, neither does use of the Console View :D )

dachay2tnr said:
...BTW, Vice, why you would re-record the mixdown in the first place excapes me. I would have simply exported it as a wave file, or bounced to tracks. Re-recording doesn't make a lot of sense to me. (But then, neither does use of the Console View :D )

I have no idea. I have never been accused of being well endowed with common sense. I think I was just so happy to be mixing that I didn't stop until I mixed down to a stereo track. It, of course, took me awhile, but then I thought I would see what the difference was (if any) with bouncing to tracks or the long method or just exporting to wave (which I haven't tried yet, incidentally). The only thing I now know is that the way I am doing things (the hard way) produces a louder signal. I want to do it the easy way, but I want to be certain of the results. Compare for yourself.
Whisper mixdown version and Whisper bounce to Tracks version.

Vice

Last edited:
dachay2tnr said:
Now I know the Live card has a preamp in the mic in jack, but I don't know about the Line in jack. I would have guessed it didn't, but this discussion and my previous one lead me to believe that maybe it does.

If it does, moskus, then the fader could increase the recording level. Which might also explain Vice's situation.
First of all, the "definition" of Line In is a input with no amplification (-10 dBU). If it would, then the Live!-card would certainly "destroy" the sound. Tell them that. ;)
As much as I've read about the SB Live! I've never seen something about having a preamp on the Line In...

And even if Creative should have included this on the card (which is see as very unlikely, preamps cost money!), then it would not matter on the bounce/mixdown-action as Sonar don't run the sound through the soundcard in either of these actions.

This leads me to believe that it's more like a "driver-thing", and that bounce/mixdown somehow is affected by how the driver handle the sound...

Lol! I just felt like randomly posting "I love you all :D" to see what reaction I got being so out of place. It's obviously not so weird for you ;) :)

moskus said:
First of all, the "definition" of Line In is a input with no amplification (-10 dBU). If it would, then the Live!-card would certainly "destroy" the sound. Tell them that. ;)
As much as I've read about the SB Live! I've never seen something about having a preamp on the Line In...

And even if Creative should have included this on the card (which is see as very unlikely, preamps cost money!), then it would not matter on the bounce/mixdown-action as Sonar don't run the sound through the soundcard in either of these actions.

This leads me to believe that it's more like a "driver-thing", and that bounce/mixdown somehow is affected by how the driver handle the sound...
Moskus, actually I agree with you (can't believe I said that). However, I can't explain that several people argued vehemently with me that they controlled their recording volume by using the Windows Mixer.

Preamps may cost money, but the quality of the ones on the SB Live can't cost a lot. :D

And you are right, this wouldn't affect the bounce/mixdown action. But Vice is actually re-recording the tracks. And that does go through the sound card. (That was actually my point! :rolleyes: )

vicevursa said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I'm thinking it's more of the haunted scenario. I have never had good luck with computers. I always end up with some unexplainable problem that no one can seem to help me with. I thought maybe with my new DAW I was good to go. I mean it works and everything is fine. It just doesn't make any sense. :( All I wanted to do is find some sort of consistency, some base line to which I could reference my recordings. With the last five projects I have mixed, nothing has come out the same. I was hoping this one would be the one. I'm still searching...
Vice

Then let's stick a knife in the voodoo doll.:)
The mystery will disappear as soon as you break the signal flow into understandable bite size chunks.
What is the route from sonar main out to the new track's input?
There are a few choices.
-Sound card analog-out to analog-in with a hard wire patch, or the same thing with a digital cable, or an internal software patch.
(The channel's Input Assignment to start with...)

And I don't agree that if it has a volume control it has to be a pre amp. Any line stage can have a gain adjustment. It could even be a sofware gain contol.

I'm still really curious and like to know which it ends up being.
Wayne

Back