Bounce to tracks

Doh! My bad... :o
I didn't see the pic next to the Advanced tab :D Shrink too much to the right. I'm on tiny 14" 640x480 here :(

Sure it's WDM :)
And as I explained somewhere in previous thread, WDM/ASIO will take the job of Windows playback mixer. Therefore, moving the wave playback slider up and down wont affect the audio SONAR plays (except soundfonts) :)

Hmmm gimme a moment to think about it...

(and the game is getting exciting, cause I have to figure it out without sitting on my DAW :D )

Okay, you're on! :D

And I do not use SB Live! with any Cakewalk products (except... er... James, you know).

vicevursa said:

...For the Mixdown track. I set the volumes, pan information, and effects on the tracks and I used some on the aux busses. I created and armed a stereo track for recording. I soloed all the tracks I wanted in the mix. Hit record and the result is the mixdown track.
Vice
I must have missed this method. Is soloing the tracks a way to route them to a new track within the project? Do you record the 'mix' in real time (as opposed to a bounce) and does it still go through the V-main? And, what's the difference between having all the tracks soloed and none of them? Maybe with the 'solo' route, the V-main setting and plugs are left out.
Last question.:D Do the two tracks actually play at diffrerent levels.
Every time I get to thinking I know this system....:rolleyes:
Wayne

Correct me if I'm wrong.... what is ur Main Buss set to....

When you Bounce Clips, it takes the volume of the track and combines those tracks....

When you Mix Down it will run through the Master Buss... so if the Master buss is set to say -3Db the Mixdown clip will be louder...

Does that make sense?

Porter

mixsit said:
I must have missed this method. Is soloing the tracks a way to route them to a new track within the project? Do you record the 'mix' in real time (as opposed to a bounce) and does it still go through the V-main? And, what's the difference between having all the tracks soloed and none of them? Maybe with the 'solo' route, the V-main setting and plugs are left out.
Last question.:D Do the two tracks actually play at diffrerent levels.
Every time I get to thinking I know this system....:rolleyes:
Wayne

I solo the tracks because if I don't I will hear some weird sort of echo with midi. Whenever I mix down with audio it's just a habit that carries over. I assume that things are still going through the V-Mains, their meters are moving. And yes, the tracks play at two different levels. The mixdown track is louder. Neither tracks clip on playback either.

I am so confused...

Vice

When you Bounce Clips, it takes the volume of the track and combines those tracks....

When you Mix Down it will run through the Master Buss... so if the Master buss is set to say -3Db the Mixdown clip will be louder...

Does that make sense?

Porter....

Yes, what you said makes sense, but all faders are set to 0dB. I changed nothing and that's the part that is confusing me...

Vice

What are the settings on the Aux Busses... any way they might be 'amplifying' the sound?

ie, when you bounce clips, does the signal pass through the Aux Busses? I know they will be with a Mix Down.

Porter

Vice, can you describe the mixdown? You said you armed a new track, punched record... What is the route that gets all the tracks to come up for recording in the new track? I didn't know about this, unless the main was going out to the sound card and back in to the new track.
Although I am feeling a bit stupid today.:rolleyes:
Wayne

Porter said:

Does that make sense?

Porter
Yea, except he said he Bounced to Tracks, which does go through the mains, auxes, ect.
Of course Cake sometimes also calls this 'Mixdown' -just to keep things interesting...:)
Wayne

Porter said:
What are the settings on the Aux Busses... any way they might be 'amplifying' the sound?

ie, when you bounce clips, does the signal pass through the Aux Busses? I know they will be with a Mix Down.

Porter

When I do the bounce to tracks I leave everything checked. So, everything is included.

mixsit -

Here's my recording process:

1) I do everything in midi first.
2) Then I convert my midi to audio. I ended up with 13 tracks of audio.
3) Then I began to mix these tracks together, finding levels adding effects and panning.
4) Then when I think I am about done, I solo all the tracks I want to use and play them together and do some more adjusting to make sure they don't cause any clipping.
5) Now, I set up a stereo audio track, arm it for recording. and hit record.

That is how the mixdown track was created.

Now, the bounce to track method:

Since steps 1 thru 4 were already complete. I simply went to the edit menu -> Bounce to Tracks. Ensured all the checks were present and hit OK.

The result was two different waveforms.

I have no plugs on the v-mains and I used a reverb on Aux 1 and a different reverb on Aux 2.

I can't honestly say why I did things this way. I guess I figured I could save myself a step with the Bounce to tracks method. I didn't know it was going to get me all confused and unsure about what I am doing... :confused:

I hope you understand how I did this mixsit...

Vice

So performing a mix down that way will put the play back onto the Sound Card and what you will be recording will be the Sound Cards Input... bouncing is done all internally in the program.. I don't believe that it uses the sound card at all.

The level which you have your Wave set to will effect the level coming back in to Sonar.

I'm pretty sure this is right...

Porter

Yea, this seems to fit now.
Then maybe you picked up some gain in the sound card.
What's interesting is that I don't believe I can even do this with my Dakota card with out physically patching a digi line from output back to input.

One nice thing about this is when I got the book out to 'brush up' I found out that a 'Bounce' includes muted tracks unless you tell it not to. Got me wondering how many times that happened...:D
Wayne

I know that ASIO drivers have their own control panel and that's where you set them.. I think WDM Drivers help decrease the latency of the audio cards... I don't believe it negates the windows mixer. The way to test this is to turn down the 'wave' on the 'Recording Properties' card and use the same method you used before to get the 'amplified' result. You should get the opposite result... I softer track..

Porter

Porter, that sounds interesting. I will test it out tomorrow and post my results. I need to get some sleep.

Thanks,

Vice

Vice, I should be shot for asking this, but:

Have you tried the Creative drivers?

you sure have an interesting situation here...

What I`m baffled about here is.... Why run the track information thru the valves again when all you have to do is use the "bounce to track(s)" option?
It seems to me that your revalving the information back thru the soundcard's input is time consuming. And, the bounce to tracks has no gain stage involved that may affect the signals.

Looking at the settings on the windows mixer I`m wondering if the mixer`s "default levels" are at midpoint (1...5....10) and each time you run a signal thru it for recording, if it's set above midpoint (1.....7...10) it will apply gain to the signal by the proportion of increase on the slider above the midpoint.
So if thats the case, if you ran the mixdown track back thru the mixer and card again and recorded it to a track without changing the windows mixer setting , you should have twice the increase in gain that occured the first time.

I`m gonna try this out. I`m using Sonar with XP and creative drivers from compaq on a live! card.

Toki987 said:
I`m gonna try this out. I`m using Sonar with XP and creative drivers from compaq on a live! card.
Please test it. Now I'm currious! :)

And I blame the Live!-card, it's drivers or anything involving Creative whatsoever! :D

Back