Bounce to tracks

vicevursa

When you bounce to tracks, shouldn't the waveform look the same as if I recorded my tracks to a stereo track?

I just got done with the mixdown of my latest project. I'm getting ready to post it in the clinic. Out of curiosity I took all the audio files used in the mix and bounced them a stereo track. Then, I looked at my mixdown track. The waveform was fuller and sounded louder. I didn't change any of the plug-ins. And when I bounced to tracks I had everything checked.

Could someone explain what I am doing?

Vice

The bounce-command also takes the volume and pan (both clip and track setting) into action when making a new clip, maybe that's it... ;)

Or was it the other way around...?

That sounds reasonable except that in this particular mix I set the faders and the panning before I recorded the mixdown track. I made absolutely no changes to anything when I did the bounce to track method. Just when I think I am getting the hang of this stuff, I find myself swimming in the sea of confusion again...

Vice

Interesting question, but let me make sure I understand.

In the Bounce to Tracks waveform you highlighted the tracks and selected the Bounce to Track command. But, what is the other waveform? Is that an export of the mix that you re-imported into Sonar?

If that's the case, I might hazard a guess that the Bounce to Track command does not take into account the VMain - whereas the exported mix does.

It should be relatively easy to test. Put some very obvious effect on the VMain. Then do the Bounce to Tracks command and delete the effect from the VMain. Listen to see if the effect is still present on the bounced track.

If not, that would be your answer.

OK, scratch that theory. I just tried it. I put a very heavy flange effect on the Vmain and Bounced to Tracks. Then I removed the flange and solo'd the new track. Sure enough, the flange was on the bounced track.

Let me explain exactly what I did.

For the Mixdown track. I set the volumes, pan information, and effects on the tracks and I used some on the aux busses. I created and armed a stereo track for recording. I soloed all the tracks I wanted in the mix. Hit record and the result is the mixdown track.

For the bounce to track I left everything the same as before. I highlighted the exact same tracks I used for the mixdown track. In the "Bounce to Tracks" dialog I had everything under "mix enables" checked.

The resulting waveforms were different as you can see in the picture above.

Vice

Tell me your soundcard & in what mode / driver when you record ? (MME, WDM, or ASIO) ? :)

Options --> Audio --> Advanced tab.

;)
Jaymz

..yes, I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling he uses MME instead WDM or ASIO... :D

James Argo said:
..yes, I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling he uses MME instead WDM or ASIO... :D
If you're right about that, I'm seriously impressed! :)

moskus said:
If you're right about that, I'm seriously impressed! :)

You probably will... :)

Lets wait for Vice to answer my questions...

Come on Vice, check it out for me please... :)

SoundBlaster Live! Platinum with the Live Drive...

Here's what Sonar says...

Thanks,

Vice

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 154
Okay, I've done a little testing, and my system doesen't produce any difference at all.... But then again I didn't have any effects running.

Attachments

• sonar-myresults.jpg
    sonar-myresults.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 149
Very interesting. I need to test with just one track. (At least that is what it looks like you are using.) I'm mixing down 11 audio tracks. I know something has to be set up wrong on my system to produce result like mine...

Vice

Here's one with the FxChorus applied to the Original. Notice the total cancellation in VMain A (at the bottom)... (the "Bounced" track had switched phase).

Attachments

• sonar-myresults2.jpg
    sonar-myresults2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 135
...Hang on...

Just because Vice unchecked "Always Use MME Driver even when WDM..." DOES NOT mean he used WDM/ASIO !!! (In fact, I didn't see him upgrade sonar to 2.2) :)

What's your Windows version, Vice ?

And if you playback SONAR, does the Windows Mixer affects the sound output ?

Play back audio tracks in SONAR, and slide the "Wave" (NOT the Master) in Windows Mixer (double click on small speaker icon in taskbar, beside clock) Up and down... does the volume of the wave changes as you move the wave slider ?

I thought you knew about the SB Live, James. :D (I know, you are the master, but I have used the card too, you know).

Vice is using either WinME/2000/XP, because the driver show "SB Live! (WDM)". That doesen't turn up if Windows use the MME-driver (I have an old computer running Win98 and SB Live!).

And if WDM-drivers are available and "Always use MME-drivers..." is not checked, Sonar uses WDM-drivers... ;)

(And Vice has not upgraded to Sonar 2.2. Then the "Always use MME-drivers..." checkbox would be a drop-down menu).

WinXP Home Edition Service Pack 1
Sonar 2.1
I'm using the drivers from the WinXP Cd as opposed to the ones from the SoundBlaster cd. Someone else verified that in a thread from a while back by noting my windows mixer does not have the "What You Hear Fader".

The Wave slider does not affect the playback. I do believe the line in faders on record do affect the record signal in Sonar. I have them set the same to set some sort of standard to test with.

Vice

vicevursa said:
The Wave slider does not affect the playback.
You're talking about the fader in the Windows Mixer, right? That won't affect the signal because Sonar has it's own built in mixer (I think)...

Back