BEST UNDERRATED GUITARISTS---------

mmmmmmmmmm let's see...

I love Joey Santiago's stuff (Pixies) he is not a virtuoso but he puts the exact notes and silences where they belong.

Jerry Cantrell is a Wah maniac but sounds great

Love John Sykes work, specially in Whitesnake with that philarmonic sounding guitars.

and the greatest unknown guitar player i've heard is from an Argentinian band named Massacre. His name is Pablo Mondello, he is a psichiatrist that plays in a band as a hobby or something (maybe as a therapy). The guy is great. They used to have only one guitar player an he played the solos while playing rytmh too.
His pinky was used for solos while the other fingers played chords sometimes.
I have all their records and they really rock!
Don't know if they have a website yet...
I wish I could play like him...

A guitar Animal!

i'll probably get ripped for this but ....Rick Neilsen of Cheap Trick seen him 3 times man he's great every time i see him play it gets better . Oh yea Steve Cropper has to be way underrated ......i always thought it was cool that when they say "play it Steve " in Soul Man both versions Booker T's and The Blues Bros. that it's the same Steve . Just my opinion .

first and foremost...Jimi Hendrix....he used to be revered...cause he INVENTED heavy rock guitar. I get sick and tired of the younger generation of musicians dissing him ("he wasn't in tune"...hell, they didn't even have tuners and floyd rose whammy's back then) GIVE HIM HIS DUE, HE PAVED THE WAY FOR ALL OTHERS!!!!

Johnny Winter is WAY underated...he's a monster and was playing heavy texas blues guitar before I ever heard of SRV

Barry Bailey guitarist for the Atlanta Rythem Section....take a listen to the guitar ride in "spooky". guitar great for sure!

Alan Collins (guitarist for Skynyrd R.I.P.) He composed the guitar in "freebird"....which is I guess the most played guitar anthem in rock history...along with "stairway to Heaven"

Johnny Winter rocks! I think he plays that thang in his sleep!

Beorgouis Tagg was an excellent band. Very tasty guitar stuff and good writing. How come that kind of stuff never catches on? Those guys probably made squat on their sales, while others have made fortunes on drek. Oh well, I guess we've covered that one before. And I'm relieved I didn't have to hear thier songs on the radio till I couln't even appreciate them anymore.

Twist

How do Eddie, Vai and Jimmy find their way into under-rated discussion?

Some folks never taken serious as guitar players that I like would
be Pete Frampton, Ted Nugent and Brian Seltzer.

Okay, you guys are gonna flame me for this, but here goes...

I think The Edge of U2 is incredibly underrated.

Is he Clapton? Hendrix? SRV? Of course not. But The Edge defined and explored a sound. When you hear him play, there's no doubt that's him.

He is simply uninterested in guitar playing that most of us admire and emulate. He wanted, according to interviews I've read, to make sounds with the guitar that are unexpected. He tries to find a pattern of notes that will fit inside many different chords (i.e., the end of Where the Streets Have No Name).

Yes, he uses delay and echo to enlarge his sound. But so what - do we slam shredders for using a Marshall stack? What's the difference?

I am a fan of many great guitarists - Clapton, Phil Keaggy, Hendrix, etc. While The Edge isn't in their class, I admire and even copy him nonetheless.

Let the flames begin!

Iced earths rythm guitarist Jon schaffer...
he is an exelent guitarist fast technical... but the thing i like most about him is that he is an perfect writer... i LOVE his work...

BUT: nowadays hes gettin' a little famous he recent album horror show was up in the 1:st place in the top 10 albums in greece.. he also got several other top whatever locations in europe...

UNDERRATED guitarists, right..?

Agree with loads that's been said if we're talking underrated... like Paul Simon, James Honeymoon Scott, Elliot Easton, Don Felder, Mick Ronson, Lindsay Buckingham, George Harrisson, Rick Nielsen, on and on and on...

I agree with lots of others regarding greatness, although I don't know if Hendrix, Vai, Holdsworth, Carlton, May, Lukather, Morse are what I would call underrated exactly... they've all gotten a lot of recognition within the guitar community at least right?

A bunch of the "cross-overs"... who are recognized both commercially and among guitar players, haven't been mentioned, rightly so considering the original topic from way back when... you know, Clapton, Beck, Page, Gilmour, Van Halen and so on. Suppose Richards winds up there too, finally.

But on the original "underrated" topic - I'd like to add my 2c worth, a couple of players who are VERY well-known, but whose guitar work doesn't get a whole lotta recognition or credit... although they're both SO consistently distinctive and dead-on, doing the hardest thing I can imagine - pounding out those good ole regular chords in a TRULY personal way:

* Malcolm Young of AC/DC (no, NOT Angus) - this guy seriously grooves... wish I could slam out those 5-6 open chords with that sense of rhythm and feeling...

* Neil Young... nuff said.

cheers /Tommy

The edge is very cool! No dobt he is underated, He is not as fast or as technical as most, but he has a great feel for HIS sound, and He basically is the sound of U2, who are how rich now? He must be doing something right!

Anyone ever heard Tim Reynolds(sp?) Guitar solo on the Acoustic Dave Matthews CD?

It is amazing!

I didn't go through the whole thread, But what I did go through, no one had mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn. Maybe cause he is not
Considerd underated....But He is the best Guitarist I have ever seen.

Matt

I know they were mentioned before, but I'd have to say that Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco De Lucia are really underrated. When those three get together some damn good music is made.

Dimeola - McLaughlin - De Lucia UNDERRATED? Are you joking?
UnderAPPRECIATED by a mass audience - in other words underCONSUMED, I can happily go along with. But these guys are definitely not underrated... They're seen as virtuoso extremes!

Have you ever checked the Guitar Player polls..? (if I remember correctly, Dimeola and McLaughlin don't even qualify for "Best Overall Guitarist anymore - cause they've won it too many times - as have Eddie Van Halen, Steve Morse and Steve Howe)

cheers /Tommy

i guess i forgot the point of the post, i was just listing guitarist that werent really recognized during their 15 minutes.

ill remove him from the list.

Robin TroweR,. Leslie West,and my all time fave FRANKIE MARINO from MAHOGANY RUSH RUSH RUSH ..RUSH ...RUSH (thats my echo)

Back