BEST UNDERRATED GUITARISTS---------

Petrucci, John - Dream Theater ... not that he's underated by people who listen to him, but by the fact that he doesn't seem to have the popularity that he deserves http://www.johnpetrucci.com/

anybody want to start a rant about 'over rated' guitarists? There's plenty of em out there!

Those two guys from Thin Lizzy.

There isnt a guitar song arround that can even touch "Cowboy Song".

John Sykes, Gary Moore.

Jeff Skunk baxter from Steely dans early records.

Mick Mars.

I may be biased, but for my money one of the most underrated rythm gutarists is Elvis Presley. Especially on the early Sun stuff when his guitar and vocal pretty much carry the whole show and its hard to believe we have only three guys. Money Honey video is a great example of his simple driving style and the 68 Special gives us another look. i'll just sit back and wait for the bombs. Plenty of supporters in the business though, including Steve Cropper!

underated hmmmmmm

FRED SONIC SMITH (RIP) BROTHER FRED AND BROTHER WAYNE KRAMER AHHH

WHO ELSE BUT THE M C 5

KICK OUT THE JAMS THE AMERICIAN RUSE

musicman 4 on the floor rock n roll :cool:

With out a doubt Ty Tabor of King's X . This guy can do it all and I believe the most influencial guitarist of the 80's . He brought drop D tuning to the for front .

on acoustic the guy who played with Jim Croce . I do not even recall his name . I just remember his work .Listen to operartor if you don't believe me ....

Being a bassist, and having jammed with really excellent guitarists, it's really not too hard for me to name some guitarists I feel are underrated and people I wished I could meet and jam with at any given time.

I have a pretty large musical palate, so I'll try to break them down into general categories:

Metal:
-Jeff Hanneman (Slayer- extremely fast, but his solo work is pretty clever)
-Chuck Sculdiner(RIP) (Deah- yet, another fast guitarist. Very underrated, even though he may be credited as the Father of death metal)
-John Petrucci (Dream Theater- very technical)
-James Hetfield (Metallica- outshined by Kirk Hammet to the casual listener)
-Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath- need I say more?)
-Danny Spitz/Scott Ian (Anthrax- they worked well as a duo and both had their own unique styles)
-Josh Homme (Kyuss- anyone heard these guys? Awesome!)
-Al Jourgensen/Mike Scaccia (Ministry- what key are they in?)
-Jay Abbene/Terry Carter (Wratchild America- hell, the whole band is underrated and problem unknown to most)

Rock/Pop/Jazz/Punk:
-Brian May (Queen- elegant meets fierce?)
-Jeff Buckley (RIP)
-Alex Lifeson (Rush- we all know Geddy and Neal Peart, why is it we never hear about this guy?)
-Bob Mould (Husker Du\Sugar- the man's a legend)
-Prince
-Andy Summers (Police- great guitarist... I've met several people who never knew Sting played bass!?!)
-George Harrison (You may have heard some of his stuff)
-J Mascis (Dinosaur JR)
-Wayne Kramer (MC5- he's in a punk band on the Epitaph label these days)
-Brian Setzer (Stray Cats\Brian Setzer Orchestra- one of the coolest around. Have you seen his signature guitars?)
-Steve Howe (Asia\Yes)
-Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake and Palmer)
-George Barnes (RIP) (outstanding jazz musician)
-Johnny Ramone (Ramones- never hear enough about this guy)
-East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys)

I know there are plenty more underrated guitarists out there... I just didn't want to take up the whole page.

Peace,

Randall

i third or fourth 'the edge'.
also think lindsey buckingham (fleetwood mac) would be high on this list.

More Underrated Guitarists

I'll ditto on Lindsey Buckingham, despite Fleetwood Mac being huge he always had to deal with all the comments that he was no equal to Peter Green, while Lindsey is a great guitarist in his own right. And Peter Green was (and hopefully still is) pretty amazing.

I'd rate Rory Gallagher as being one of the top 5-6 electric guitarists who ever lived, and now no one even remembers him. Just amazing, breathtaking to see & hear live.

Phil Manzanera from Roxy Music - he definately has his own unique & tasty sound.

Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult - his sound is like heavy metal meets Grateful Dead: he's another guy who just doesn't sound like anyone else. Still great to see live too.

And lets not forget George Harrison. I think there are a lot of people out there who still see the Beatles as Lennon/McCartney, but George had a sound all his own and he left his stamp. R.I.P.

RWhite,

I've never "gotten" the Rory Gallagher thing... many people have raved about him, but the little I heard (years ago), sounded pretty average, generic blooze-rock. I had the same feeling about Kim Simmonds, and I never understood the flap about Ritchie Blackmore. I should give Gallagher another chance...

-AlChuck

John Staehely (pronounced sta-hay-lee).......went pro at about 16, did lotsa session work (still does, as far as I know)...was in one of Jo Jo Gunne's incarnations, one of Spirit's incarnations, and has toured with many, including Robert Palmer.....a consumate guitarist listed on many records..........I went to school with him, but have lost touch through the years.....

John is one of the best guitarists ever, simply because he knows the most important attribute a guitarist can have....knowing when "not" to play instead of showboating............

I did a search engine thing on him recently, and he's mentioned on lots of other stuff, too......he's a musician who makes a living (despite not being a "star") doing what he was meant to do....gibs

I didn't read all of the thread, but I'm pretty sure no one added Andy Dawson and Wayne Renshaw of Savage to this list.. until now.

Anyone who has heard "Loose n' Lethal" knows exactly what I'm talking about. Hell, for that matter, just ask James Hetfield why Metallica included a cover of "Dirty Money" on their original demo.

Cy

and the answer is......GEORGE HARRISON!!

Lennon & McCartney take all the honours, but the late great George Harrison has to be my favourite underrated guitarist. As someone else has mentioned he was certainly not unknown, but he was often overlooked. He helped craft that essential Beatle sound - who could possibly forget the opening chord of A Hard Day's Night? And who else would use a 12 string electric Rickenbacker to such stunning effect - a sound Harrison used sparingly, but one the Byrds based their entire career on. He cared deeply about guitars & how they sounded.

When Brian Epstein sent them a telegram to congratulate them on securing a record contract with EMI, George wanted new guitars - the others wanted to know when they were going to be millionaires.

Ty Tabor
Phil Keaggy
Eric Johnson
The Edge
Steve Rothery
Lindsey Buckingham
All the Steely Dan sesion guys
All the guys that played on "Grace Land"

Back