BEST UNDERRATED GUITARISTS---------

Wes: we're on the same page, (it could be a pun) as they tell me in meetings. Hoe your row, and you'll be happy. Did you ever look at a guitar neck and SEE the lick you were about to play? That doesn't happen when you copy somebody.
So we're all underrated -- by ourselves.
John

John,

Good point. Hey, I'm putting together an email list of like minded guitarists and recording engineers. Send me an email at wespowell@musician.net and we can talk about recording projects, etc.

Wes,
Sometimes, though, you don't have to TRY to learn the stuff note-for-note. Just listen to it enough, then forget about it and in a few weeks it will rear its ugly head right in the middle of something that otherwise sounds totally original. Bad hands! Bad subconcious! Down boy! Time to listen to more Bird and 'Trane.

peace.

effedupstrat,

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I think I've written something really cool and then I put in a CD I haven't listened to in a couple of weeks and go AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

Hey, you feel free to reply to my email address too. ;-]

Since I´m a fan of simplification and minimalism I must add someone who most of you won´t agree on. Johnny Ramone... I just love guitarplayers who only plays what´s nessecary to make a song great, and that´s just what he did. The one-note solo in "I wanna be sedated" is my favorite solo, ´cause anything else than that would have ruined the song. It´s not many people who have truly understood the old saying, "less is more". When I listen to less "simple" music would have to go with suacy Jack, Tom Verlaine, Richard Lloyd and Johnny Marr are all amazing. May I add Doug from Built to Spill as well?

Couldn't get to page 4 ...
Lot of great names mentioned, (haven't thought of Frank Marino in years. He played a World Series of Rock or two at Cleveland Stadium in the 70's.)

As for underrated, thought I'd mention Mick Ronson. He did great things for Ian Hunter and David Bowie.

hmmmm,

If were talking minimalism I'd also add jeff parker:he plays with tortoise,isotope 217, chicago underground orchestra and his own group tricolor.Weird combos of minimalism, electronica, funk and jazz make isotope 217 a great group.

And lets not forget grant green, he was the man(occasionally)

david torn is an interesting player,
as is elliot sharp.

Brinsley Schwartz

Who? you say?
Brinsley Schwartz!!
Ever since I was a teen learning to play, Brinsley Schwartz has been a favorite. He was in the pub-rock band Brinsley Schwartz (lol) with Nick Lowe, then was in the Rumour(Graham Parker's band in the late 70s/early 80s)
His lines were always sedate and tasteful, just supporting fills and riffs, melodic and perfect for the songs...no added speed or hair needed.
Check out Graham Parker and the Rumour's "Squeezing Out Sparks", or their "Heat Treatment"...

They did a version of The Jackson 5s "I Want You Back" that was just killer, actually BETTER than the original. They put on the best live show I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Wish I knew what he was up to these days.

Thank you Lazyboy, now I´m thinking of adding Peter Hook to the Best Bassplayer topic, but your UserName is what I am right now...

One of Adrian Belew's buddies, Rob Fetters.

Also, Jeff Buckley's voice blows people away so much they miss the fact that he was a great guitarist as well.

I don't know if he was a great live player, but I always thought that Johnny Marr was a great arranger of guitar parts in the studio. Also, Tommy Tedesco is one of those unsung guitar heros, although he's played on more records than anyone in history.

Will C.:cool:

Since today was the anniversary of his death, I feel compelled to add this one:

The heart and soul of "Chicago" - Terry Kath

Even Hendrix told Chicago manager that Kath was better than
he was...

Gravy Booby!

Joe Satriani!

Yeah I know he's not underrated amongst musicians, but talk to your average listener and they'll say "Joe who??"

- Tanlith -

Tweedville,
Be careful about mentioning Harvey Mandel, as this thread could end up in the nether regions of the BBS, expressly for those whose mere initials I dare not mention. Seems certain inhabitants there claim he's played on their MP3.Snore releases.

Hmm...I could fly some Eric Clapton samples into my songs and claim he guested on my CD. Yeah, that's the ticket.

peace.

Hey effedupstrat......
I know what you are saying,and I won't go there....but does Harvey Mandel's playing in the '60s and '70s have to be ignored because of this? Credit where credit is due.
Peace............The Tweedmeister

don't slag Harvey

'cause' I wasted a year in high school absolutely mesmermized by Mandel and his band and am a weirder human because of it...How about Zappa who could pull a rabbit out of his hat when least expected AND Kim Mitchell (any Max Webster fans?)

Back