Best Recording Levels

The only whole in that is even with conservatively recorded tracks you reach a point where there are peaks you may want to loose bringing the mix up to it's final level.

Sorry Mixsit. I read that sentence 5 times and still don't understand it.

It's not you...it's me. I think. :)

Yes, sorry about that.
I meant to say 'hole in that argument..' so to speak. :)

Last edited:

I got it, and I agree with it. The problem with summing peaks may not necessarily be that they are clipping or even close to clipping, just that they are abnormally high compared to the average peak level and leave less headroom for mastering.

G.

I got a AT 4050 and im recording Hip Hop and RnB vocals. Should my mic be on -10db or 0db ??? I record with a M Box 2 on Pro Tools LE.

Use the -10 pad if your recording something really loud.

ie: Drums

Otherwise, leave it at 0.

All I know is, I started trying to follow the advice that Massive and Glen have given us many times on this subject, and since I've been doing that my sound has been immensely improved! I am developing a hard rule not to track anything wtih peaks over -10 (using a computer sequencer), and averaging all trackings between -10 and -20. Mixing is easier then, sweetening is easier, home mastering is easier, everything is better that way.

Monitor levels and playback levels should never be confused. Try it, learn it, get used to it, when you finally hear your mastered cd on a stereo, you WONT be sorry......:cool:

I feel bad, and paid the price for this.....

...but when I was an even newer newbie than what I am now, on my first album I hard limited every single song, and then sent it off to the local mastering guy.

He only charged me $300 to master anyway, and is in no way a pro.... but anyway, he had to try to work with me absolutely destroyed solid blocks of wave I sent him.

No yeah - that album sounds horrible.

I think I did that, because you know what they say about the dangers of a little bit of knowledge...... so my thinking was......

Hard Limiting ?

Makes it louder ?

Okay...... here we go then..........

Back