Behringer and the hits keep coming...

What do you think about Behringer products?

• Great quality and value for money!

Votes: 354 41.6%
  • Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

Votes: 276 32.5%
  • Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

Votes: 102 12.0%
  • I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

Votes: 118 13.9%

• Total voters
COOLCAT said:
a friend called the other day said he'd just bought a Fender stratocaster.
i didn't even know what to think. :confused:
:eek:

:D

Awesome.

There are also some pros who will set themselves on fire before admitting a particular piece of gear is acceptable.

COOLCAT said:
i tried a a couple rack mount jobs and they just had a sound i didn't like. a compressor and some vocal pc of sht.
so i just never look at the B stuff anymore...
Oh man. To me that sounds like "I don't like the sound of a Telecaster so I don't buy Fender amps."

Since B copies most of the products, different models can fairly be thought like being from different companies. Some sound like something, others completely different. If you don't like the sound of their compressor and other effect, you are kind of stoopid if you won't even look at their mic pres, monitors, mixers, and other products because of that.

BLUE BEAR SOUND said:
No, there are four:
4) The Pros -- who know better than to touch that crap in the first place!
...who don't pay for the equipment themselves. Ofcourse, if no money was involved I'd rather take Quested, Dynaudio, NHT, or more Adam. But money IS involved, heavily. Quoting my own post about the biggest TV station in Finland. They are hard rock audio professionals, but they have no reason to be picky about the brand since they don't have customers walking around. And they choose Behringer for monitors. And this doesn't surprise me, the product is easily as good as a competition, for half/third of the price. That is a clear fact, not an opinion.

And I have bought, sold, and owned several "big name" products. It might be different in Finland where the sales are a bit too small for big companies to care, but for example Mackie, Fostex, Fender, and Hughes&Kettner have had big problems in the warranty compartment. If it is only up to the music store, it could be better, but it also could be a lot worse.

mrelwood said:
...who don't pay for the equipment themselves. Ofcourse, if no money was involved I'd rather take Quested, Dynaudio, NHT, or more Adam.
What the bloody FUCK are you talking about??????????????? :rolleyes:

I certainly wish someone would pay for my fucking gear, but so far, no one's stepped up.................

Who do you think buys the gear in pro studios? (answer: me being one of them - I can assure you, it's the owners.....)

whatever... my headphone amp rules!! four channels.. individual 2 band sheving eq's for each channel... balance for each channel.. level too (obviously).

its a good piece of gear.

I would never buy anything for the front end of my system from behringer though. Heaphone amp is in the "doesnt really matter as long as it works" catagory.

mrelwood said:
Oh man. To me that sounds like "I don't like the sound of a Telecaster so I don't buy Fender amps."

no, it should sound like the two BEHRINGER pieces i testdrove at home, i didn't like. so i haven't tried any of their gear since. maybe my loss?

Since B copies most of the products, different models can fairly be thought like being from different companies.
Thats just a sad statement.

Some sound like something, others completely different. If you don't like the sound of their compressor and other effect, you are kind of stoopid if you won't even look at their mic pres, monitors, mixers, and other products because of that.

so your saying i should keep buying Behringer products until i finally find one i like? kinda like give them 10 trys or 15 trys??....ok, that sounds great! thanks for the words of wisdom! :rolleyes:

...who don't pay for the equipment themselves. Ofcourse, if no money was involved I'd rather take Quested, Dynaudio, NHT, or more Adam. But money IS involved, heavily. Quoting my own post about the biggest TV station in Finland. They are hard rock audio professionals, but they have no reason to be picky about the brand since they don't have customers walking around. ok. well..er....their pros...so i guess that says it all..whooa, i never knew..wow. at least they don't have customers walking around! thank goodness...i hate that walking around sht.

... I had to tell some of 'em to leave once..its was frkn 5pm and there they were walking around! "for FHK sakes!!fhkng LEAVE!!! its 5pm!!!"..i said.

And they choose Behringer for monitors.
<Applause light is ON clap,clap,clap...yeah!! pan to the audience, all smiling and happy clapping.. whoopee!!>

And this doesn't surprise me, the product is easily as good as a competition, for half/third of the price.
That is a clear fact, not an opinion.

That doesn't surprise me. Its very common to hear the Behringers $339 pair chosen over all the others by the pros, BW802's and Quests included...
why just the other day this dude (that loves Crack Cocaine) was saying how the Behringers were used in all the biggest TV stations that had Audio Professionals (who are on crack cocaine) who aren't picky and don't have customers just walking around...
and he personally chose the Behringer speakers over EVERYTHING else...he preferred the Passives as he could get more from the pawn shop for his crack habit due to the amplifier/speaker individual units.

Do you work for Behringer, by any chance??

And I have bought, sold, and owned several "big name" products. It might be different in Finland where the sales are a bit too small for big companies to care, but for example Mackie, Fostex, Fender, and Hughes&Kettner have had big problems in the warranty compartment.

If it is only up to the music store, it could be better, but it also could be a lot worse.
yeah, i kinda agree but i kinda don't.

actually i was thinking of test driving some of the monitors- the actives. a friend of mine was going to try some too. They "read" good in many articles, for what thats worth. reading posts online...medium/average. (and be a good reason to get my RTA running!)

as always with Behringer.."the price" you notice thats always attached, even in the original Poll wording on this thread. there's nothing wrong with budget stuff...my best friends and family recording heads are budget gearheads most the time, well sometimes, not always..well, maybe at times they are but sometimes they aren't either.

i thought the B's were Mackie-copys, but they seem to have better copied an older Genelec set, almost to the T.. at least the front plastic part with the tweeter. And i think Genelec's cost more than Mackies, so thats good.

Last edited:
I have 2 ECM8000 and a UB2442-FX mixer from behringer.
They sounded juct ok, but the ECM8000 distroted seriously after some months of using as drum overhead.......and some tracks of the mixer arent working at all after some months of use !!

I swear I wont buy anything behringer again, they are so cheap in Hong Kong and it sells everywhere, but I will never take a glance to them again.

Just goes to show, YMMV.
I've got a digital mixer, two digital crossovers, a feedback eliminator, and a couple of Sharks that have done nothing but treat me well and make me money.

I find it funny how few people know the real story behind Behringer being "copies". There was only 1 line of mixer (I believe it was the MX series) that they were ever accused of backwards-engineering, and it was only certain things about the mixer....not the entire design. The case went to court, and I believe they were found guilty. Although most of their ideas are far from original, NOTHING they make is a copy of anything. There are a lot of mixers on the market that are very similar. It's almost imposable to find "unique" feathers on lower to mid end mixers. The V-amp is far from a copy of the Pod. The headphone amp is not a copy of any headphone I've ever come across. There are many examples.

Toker41 said:
I find it funny how few people know the real story behind Behringer being "copies". There was only 1 line of mixer (I believe it was the MX series) that they were ever accused of backwards-engineering, and it was only certain things about the mixer....not the entire design. The case went to court, and I believe they were found guilty. Although most of their ideas are far from original, NOTHING they make is a copy of anything. There are a lot of mixers on the market that are very similar. It's almost imposable to find "unique" feathers on lower to mid end mixers. The V-amp is far from a copy of the Pod. The headphone amp is not a copy of any headphone I've ever come across. There are many examples.

There are also many examples like this.

http://www.behringer.com/VP1/index.cfm?lang=ENG :cool:

Toker41 said:
There was only 1 line of mixer (I believe it was the MX series) that they were ever accused of backwards-engineering

The new guitar fx pedal line was delayed because they first batch introduced at some music fair looked exactly like Boss pedals. Talking to several retailers here in Finland, they say that the first mixers even had their manuals copied from another manufacturer, word to word. Title changed ofcourse.

The visual side of the Truth line seems to be a mixture of Mackie and Genelec, but the sound is incredibly close to that of the older line of Genelecs. Haven't been able to compare side to side, but I bet there wouldn't be big surprises. Genelec would probably have a bit more detail, but I think that's about it.

It is true that headphone amps, ADA8000 and some others doesn't have a product they would be copied from. Some people say that the DDX3216 would be a copy from a Yamaha, but all the Yamaha digitals I've tried are very inconvenient, hard to use, and lack a lot of features. But as easychair marvellously brought out, there are products that are astonishingly straight copies.

drummercat said:
I have 2 ECM8000 and a UB2442-FX mixer from behringer.
They sounded juct ok, but the ECM8000 distroted seriously after some months of using as drum overhead.......and some tracks of the mixer arent working at all after some months of use !!

I swear I wont buy anything behringer again, they are so cheap in Hong Kong and it sells everywhere, but I will never take a glance to them again.

Now there's a smart man!

Behringer does not use standard vendors for raw materials. They use whoever gives them the best deal at a particular time. Two identical Behringer products can have completely different parts inside. This works for Behringer, but as for the consumer needing support? Well, you figure it out.

Sirnothingness said:
Behringer does not use standard vendors for raw materials. They use whoever gives them the best deal at a particular time. Two identical Behringer products can have completely different parts inside. This works for Behringer, but as for the consumer needing support? Well, you figure it out.

I'd bet pretty much every major manufacturer works that way. Do you think Roland or Korg use special high-quality surface-mount components? :rolleyes:

easychair said:
I'd bet pretty much every major manufacturer works that way. Do you think Roland or Korg use special high-quality surface-mount components? :rolleyes:

Not exactly. Many manufacturers have established qualified vendors that have previously passed their quality inspections. They then begin a business relationship which helps lead to better pricing and return policies. Manufacturers that go with a 'vendor of the day' policy may lead to us (the consumer) getting better prices up front but lousy quality and support.

I just play the averages and hope that, in the end, I come out ahead. If I buy a Behringer headphone amp, 5 sets of headphones, and a mini mixer for monitoring and routing ... then I figure if 1/3 of their equipment fails, I still did pretty good.

And right now, the headphone amp still works great. The mini mixer is still kicking ... but all five headphones have basically blown out in less than a year. But hell, I bought 'em for like 10 bucks a piece, so I'm out fifty bucks.

The rest of the stuff is fine, so all told I did okay. If the headphone amp and mini mixer had sold for $50 more, total, would it have still been a good deal? I would say yes. Now if 2/3 or more of their equipment fails, then that's a whole different strory. At that rate, I would have been better off buying something more reliable. But right now, I think Behringer is probably doing no worse than the 1/3 rate, so I still think it's okay for the most part.

I wouldn't say that Behringer is crap. They probably make some good products. And for the price, they probably can't be beat. The problem generally comes when service is needed. If your product works as promised and doesn't fail, then you got yourself a great deal. I've said it before, Behringer has a love/hate relationship with their customers. Some love 'em, others hate 'em.

Back