Behringer and the hits keep coming...

What do you think about Behringer products?

• Great quality and value for money!

Votes: 354 41.6%
  • Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

Votes: 276 32.5%
  • Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

Votes: 102 12.0%
  • I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

Votes: 118 13.9%

• Total voters
There was a time when this was the common belief with ART.
Since Mackie is now using cheaper parts from overseas, but has not passed the savings on to the consumer, then you do not always "get what you pay for".
To call an entire line "crap" is a little vague. What exactly was your experience with which Behringer products? Also, I still feel the need to point out that you still have NOT tried every Behringer product. I also need to point out that what is considered "crap" might depend on what ones needs are.

Toker41 said:
Since Mackie is now using cheaper parts from overseas, but has not passed the savings on to the consumer, then you do not always "get what you pay for".
To call an entire line "crap" is a little vague. What exactly was your experience with which Behringer products? Also, I still feel the need to point out that you still have NOT tried every Behringer product. I also need to point out that what is considered "crap" might depend on what ones needs are.
1) That does not affect my assertion that you get what you pay for.. That a company has found a way to improve its bottom line has no bearing on what the product is worth.
2) I do not have to try *every* product in a line before I could draw the conclusion that a product line is crap. Only an idiot would do so or think so.
3) Crap is crap. If crap is acceptable to your needs, or what you are willing to pay, so be it, glad it works for you. It is still crap.

fraserhutch said:
1) That does not affect my assertion that you get what you pay for.. That a company has found a way to improve its bottom line has no bearing on what the product is worth.
2) I do not have to try *every* product in a line before I could draw the conclusion that a product line is crap. Only an idiot would do so or think so.
3) Crap is crap. If crap is acceptable to your needs, or what you are willing to pay, so be it, glad it works for you. It is still crap.

1. Those that buy Mackie are paying the same price they were for more "top end" components, yet are now getting Asian "bottom shelf" electronics with no savings passed on to them...so they are not getting what they pay for!
2. Then stay close minded, and keep paying top dollar when it is not always needed. To each his own.
3. You still have not defined "crap". Not a very professional term.

Toker41 said:
1. Those that buy Mackie are paying the same price they were for more "top end" components, yet are now getting Asian "bottom shelf" electronics with no savings passed on to them...so they are not getting what they pay for!
Then market pressures will bring the prices down, and you will get what you paid for.
2. Then stay close minded, and keep paying top dollar when it is not always needed. To each his own.
And you can keep tjhrowing your money away on crap. I have tried out a fair amount of Behringer crap and have learnt not to trust them, and I won't use them. How is that so hard for you to grasp? So people should try EVERY product before they draw conclusions? LOL... you crack me up.
3. You still have not defined "crap". Not a very professional term.
Crap = Behringer. There. It's defined.
Actually, I call crap stuff that is poorly made and sounds shitty.
Are there exceptions to the rule? Always, and there is probably a SINGLE piece that is usable. I learnt my lesson. You go for it and throw YOUR money away.

As I stated, I am very pleased with the Behringer headphone amp for $100. The UB series of mixers, although is not quite as good, is very, very close to the Mackie's that sell for $700+ more. Especially when the reality is that every mixer in the $1000 or under range is "crap", anyway. My buddy's Mackie ($1000) took a dump 4 months after he bought it. Took 6 months to get it fixed. My Behringer UB ($400) has never given me a day of trouble, so again, what is your definition of "crap"? The older compressors (Composer2000, or 2200) are much better than the Alesis any day of the week, and can be found used a lot cheaper than a used Alesis. Which brings me to your other point. Alesis makes some things that really sound bad. They also make some products that some say really sound good. So are they crap?
Should point out here that your definition of "crap", so far, is very opinion based, and isn't really based at all on specs or facts. Unless you want to elaborate?
Lets start with a simple one:
Why is the Behringer Power Play HA4600 headphone amp crap?

Toker41 said:
Still is... ART is not too far removed from Behringer, in overall levels of craptitude, as is Samson, Phonic, and Rolls. And except for a couple of outstanding products (HD24 and Masterlink), Alesis is fairly low on the totem pole, too....

my exp. with a few ART things aren't very good either, high noise floor.
this was sometime ago...but after a few pieces you quite buying their stuff.
same as with Behringer initial try outs.

sad reality is people get burnt a few times and their done,
the company could make some really good products,
but its too late then.
for me anyway, as a consumer.
last ART i tried was probably 1993 some FX pice of sht, Behringer rack pcs.. was ~2000... and that was probably the last product i'll buy from them.

I worked mfg. for too many years, its simple, Intel makes Pentiums and a Celeron line different designs, different market targets...different testing, different clock speeds & processing costs = money...
TI makes cheap calculators and HighEnd DSP's... soon high end DLP and cheap DLP's...huge difference in build materials. like welded metal vs. glued parts. what would you prefer? is longetivity & reliabilty important to you?
same with Audio.

Quality comes at a price, more often than not.

Simple Business:
Technology Improvements, Materials, and/or labor wage cuts= reduce costs.
Often the Quality falls apart here.
why? to increase the exec's already inflated bonus checks and keep competitive(stay in business).

some companys can pull it off well and stand the test of time...
look at the Shure SM57 and 58's... cheap, solid design, built to last, outsourced Mfg. without turning to crap. amazing really.

how do they do it? i wish i knew... i'd be on a yaht smoking coffee instead of here with myself.. :eek:

COOLCAT said:
sad reality is people get burnt a few times and their done,
the company could make some really good products,
but its too late then.
for me anyway, as a consumer.

That's EXACTLY the point I was making - and most rational individuals would arrive at the same conclusion and just stay away.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Still is... ART is not too far removed from Behringer, in overall levels of craptitude, as is Samson, Phonic, and Rolls. And except for a couple of outstanding products (HD24 and Masterlink), Alesis is fairly low on the totem pole, too....

So here you admit that a company that is "fairly low on the pole" can still have a couple outstanding products!

Toker41 said:
So here you admit that a company that is "fairly low on the pole" can still have a couple outstanding products!
Of course... I don't understand your inference of "admission" from that statement though........

KEVIN1600 said:
I'm never buying any behringer I don't care how cheap it is! I've just heard and read to many bad things.
And that, IMHO, is an example of a perfectly sane conclusion.

I got a pair of Berry 2030a monitors. The fuses blew in both of them when i first got them. But now, i love'em!

- Idgeit

I worked for a small pro audio retail outlet for about a year, and i still freelance for them. if we had a problem with a new behringer unit, we would replace the costomer's item, and we would deal with sending it back. behringer does have a 1 year warrantee on the usual stuff, but as it has been pointed out, their service is pretty terrible. if something was going to be gone for an extended period on time we would give the costomer a loaner free until their unit was fixed.

then again, this is just standard policy at that shop for every brand.

I have had a behringer MX802 for 5 years and its still rockin.
I do also have a UB-802 and have had a few other Beh products and have only had one problem with one of them(Bad fader, but it was a floor model).

I dont hate em but I'm looking for a Yamaha board next.

-Blaze

My Behringer List...

Behringer V-tone 2x12 amp
Behringer SL3224FX-Pro Mixer
Behringer DI(used in most live allpications)
and behinger DI/splitter..

and the behringer XM500 for my basement venue..

but im only 15 so this equipment is good for me..

rx 1602 a line mixer just for stuff going to monitors - but I still have a patch direct to them for the multi and cd player to bypass it just in case it f's w/ the sig. cheap and handy, and still works after 4 months!!

My first mixer was a Behringer MX 602A which cost me £30, I recently upgraded to a Yamaha MG8 2FX which cost me £109 assuming I would get a better sound out of it, but after a day or two of playing around with the Yamaha, I've gone back to using my Behringer; a lot of the time I'm recording guitars direct (through FX pedals then the mixer and then into my 2496 soundcard) and both of the mixers are definitely 'colouring' the sound, but, to be honest, I prefer the way the Behringer colours the sound, it just sounds *slightly* more musical, other than that, the only difference I can hear is that the Yamaha may be a bit louder.

Back