Anyone like mixing?

I'd be a lot more worried about the drummers' feet than mixing techniques right about now. Theres a LOT of ambiguous toe tapping. Im bringing it ALL up, but that might not be cool. A good rule to follow is " Ride hard or go home"

in other words, if you arent going to hit it like you MEAN to HIT it, DONT hit it at all

simplyfying never hurt anyone

anywho, I promised myself I wouldnt spend much time on this but now Im hooked! Ill have an mp3 up one of these years...all of the mixes people have put on so far are GREAT!!!! Especially the bass guitar tones people are getting, got me on my toes

Yeah i know, i noticed some of that too... But i can't like re-record it cause my drummer went back to phili to finish of the semester.

However, yeah i'm loving the bass tones people are getting, i'm very surprised!

Haha, thats very very interesting

I'd love to see more posts like this one cause i want to participate in someones song besides mine!

Thanks everyone, I think what i got most out of this was making space in the frequencies for instruments, especially the bass!

Ok, here's what I've come up with so far... There's a few things I still want to work on and I'm really not happy with the snare sound during the hard part, but I'll try to work on it some more sometime this weekend when I have some more free time (last week of school... WooHoo!! :D :D)

-tkr

whoaaaaaaaaaa tekker...MASSSSSSSSS reverb on that snare....and when i say mass, i mean - MASS. haha.

did you want that?

shackrock said:
whoaaaaaaaaaa tekker...MASSSSSSSSS reverb on that snare....and when i say mass, i mean - MASS. haha.

did you want that?
No, I mixed it late last night at a very low volume and it sounded pretty decent then, but I cranked it up before I posted it earlier today and I really didn't like it at all, but I didn't fix anything on it 'cause I was on my way out the door to youth group... I'll try to work on it a little more this weekend after my finals and final projects and stuff is all done! (I'm REALLY looking forward to this semester being over!! :) :))

The chorus snare sound I don't like at all but the verse is good... Just with a lot less reverb... :)

-tkr

You guys did some good work on these mixes. I especially like what Track Rat and Pipeline did. Track Rat made those drums sound pretty dam good.

I usually work with only Keys and Vocals so I am kind of spoiled since the vox is the only real challenge I face (unless you call selecting and editing patches a challenge)… but I gave mixing these tracks a shot last night and ran into a lot of difficulties (mostly due to the limitations of my software, cakewalk pro audio7 and my lack of multi track hardware.)
My big difficulty was with leakage with the drum tracks. The kick track was ok and pretty easy to work with but the snare had as much kick as snare and the overheads had everything. Is this typical of how drums are recorded or should this have been improved while tracking? Do you use gates and EQ to try to fix this in the mix? How did you guys tame the drum tracks? Am I just too used to the perfect separation I have with midi sequenced drums?

- Gunther

Does anyone have server space? I did a quick mix and need a place to post it. I don't want to hassle with the bull of signing up and giving personal info to post on nowhereradio or similar type thing. Any ideas?

Kirk

PS I have 160, 192, variable bit rate mps3's. Take your choice.

Back