Anyone like mixing?

o0Charlie0o

This might be a long shot, but would anyone like to try to mix one of my songs for me?

Basically i'd give each track raw already lined up in mp3 192kbps.

I really came in a rut in my mixing skills and some peoples mixes around here sound really full, and I really like them.

What i'd like to do is take what ever you came up with and compare it with mine. Consider is a learning experience for myself. If anyone is interested in trying this please reply!

Sounds Interesting!

I have often wanted someone to do the same with my stuff, just to get a different perspective on what the song could sound like.

What type of music and how many tracks / intruments on a song?

I wouldn't mind giving it a crack, not to say it would be any better than what you have done.

tmix

Do the tracks sound good by themselves? How were they tracked? Make a track list here so we can see what there is to work with.
You should mail a CD to a few people, I would look at it if you went that route. Downloading MP3's is asking a llittle much.

To me it seems like i can never record guitar good... I'm recording a mesa triple rect. with a shurt 57 through a dbx 386 mic pre-amp... I always seems like there is no presence at all for the distorted channel...

Everything else was recorded like this:
Kick and Snare through dbx 386
OverheadLeft and Right and toms all mixxed down in a mixer to left and right into my soundcard via RCA inputs
Bass direct into dbx386

We are recording the vocals tonight, but i'm not worried about that, i've never had troubles mixing my singers vocals. But that will be with a groove tubes gt55 into the dbx386

i'll try it too...you sohulda made it really high quality mp3 though, or just kept it wavs...ha

i suppose it'll do though.

anyway, i'm gonna try it, sounds fun. my mixes are nothing spectacular though...haha
i'll post when i'm done.

Well if i started getting more quality then that i don't think anyone would want to download them!

I'm actually going to remix it tonight and post what i came up with too...

my mix of the song

Ok so i got it on a server,

my technique on the song was to try to get the bass cutting in to the mix with the guitars. I thought the guitar was taking way to much freq in areas, i cut it about 100k and around 4000 i think, was to high for my taste. I added a Rbass to the kick and bass, which i like alot.

I also added reverb during the slower parts of the song.

I never mixed heavy metal songs so this was my best shot.

Chris

p.s. I'm not coy.

Wow you really did get the bass to stick out... How did you do that?

Also what is RBass?

I'll be posting my mix up in about an hour from now.

ok i may have cheated a little bit, i forgot i left a plugin on the master fader. which was a Rchannel by waves

I was playing around with it, had it set to loudness which boost the EQ 250K and 4000k, does a table shelf? eq.

I then EQ the bass and cut it about 150k and boost it at 100k. I also cut the guitar at 100k to give the bass some room. where I cut the bass at 150k i boosted the kick at 150k and cut it at 100k.

I then bussed the bass and kick drum to a stereo aux track and added a plugin to rBASS. and boosted it about 90k.

These plugins are by Waves, which i can not afford, got them from a friend of mine.

I like haveing heavy kick and bass, Thats what i always start with when i mix, once i figure the right technique thats gets the kick and bass breathing hard! then everything fits in place.

toadies said:
I then EQ the bass and cut it about 150k and boost it at 100k. I also cut the guitar at 100k to give the bass some room. where I cut the bass at 150k i boosted the kick at 150k and cut it at 100k.

150,000Hz? You've got some damn good hearing!

k = kilo = x1000
Hz = hertz = frequency

Back