Another fine offering from Behringer

Swede is right on the money. Check out Dan Richards's reviews of the Studio Projects B1 before you buy any other mic, particularly a Behringer. The SP B1 isn't all things to all people, but it seems to come pretty close. It's a "sleeper" mic, running with the $800 crowd. For under a hundred bucks it's so versatile (and rather warm) that it's a no-brainer.

My research led me to this combination for best bang / versatility for the buck:

(2) SP B1s
(1) SP C3 (mostly because of the multipattern feature, but it doesn't get much use because of the B1s).
(2) MXL 603s

I'm beginning to use the 603s for about anything I would use an SM57 for - as long as nobody is going to touch it. It's incredible, particularly for micing an acoustic guitar. I picked up signal from a dreadnaught at a live festival recently that was just pure crystalline sound - no boom, lots of bottom end, a high end that could cut you - almost a flat eq. I couldn't believe my ears.

jeffree said:
As as disinterested but questioning observer, I just can't believe that there isn't someone out there with something good to write about Behringer. C'mon someone--be strong and let us hear another side to the story: isn't there at least one good Behringer product, or at least one good aspect of one bad product?

J.

Yeah, my Behringer Truth speakers look nice!

Only kidding, I'm just bitter at my recent tweeter problems...

GM110

I have a Behringer Gm110 guitar practice amp....for $99 this little thing slays everything in it's path...of course it is heavily influenced by another brand but it is a steal...it has an excellent tone fx loops, xlr outs, 30 watts with a jensen speaker!

My friend has the 24 channel mixer that they got sued over and can no longer import to the US.....that thing is Mackie to the bone...it was made in a different shop than there china Units now and it is really good for the price....

Another Friend of mine has there new mixer the Ub24 something or another...a 4 buss 16 channel mixer with 8 i/o...perfect for his adat and I don't think there is a budget mixer that can touch it...especially now that mackie is going the cheap route...

also the composers and 4 channel noise gates are decent and cheap....

the new ultragain 24 bit i/o with 8 mic pres and ADAT i/o has to be tried.....even if the preamps suck ( which I am sure they will) If the converters hold up this will be the steal of the century!

M.Brane said:
Does it run off a wall-wart?;)

I think it does.

However, I have a couple ART DI/O 24/96k converters with a tube that sound surprisingly good for the money. They sound even better now that I've replaced the factory external power supply with a bigger one. Went from 9V/1300mA to 9V/3000mA.

Not sure if you can do that with the tube pres or not. And don't blame me if you fry your tube pre or anything else!

I believe the way it works is that the unit only draws the power it needs from the supply. So you essentially are giving it more power "headroom" by upping the mA rating. If it doesn't need more power than 1300mA it won't draw it, but the extra juice is there for when it does want it. Anyway, that's the way it was explained to me. Again, my DI/O's are running just fine, but don't blame me if you destroy your gear!

Anyone seen all those Behringer MX-8000s and 9000s going on ebay ? On the German eBay there's like two dozen going for prices between 500 and 700 $ !

Tells me enough...

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
IMO those brands are all the same bunch.. Samson and Behrie have a wee little too many similarities in their designs to be original, just a different color and knobs.

Actually Bearsinger is one of the most allround companies I know of, and they keep expanding their product line (no comment on if that's good or not)

Herwig

Its like a disease or something. Everywhere I go to buy gear at has been taken over. Its like kudzoo, you turn your back an there it is, just stacks and stacks of stark white boxes filled with insufficent electronics. Its a shame.

MISTERQCUE said:
That's because the 8000 & 9000 boards totally SUCK!!

Very true!!! I've mixed live gigs on those... They are a disaster to work with. If you have all channels working, you'll get stuff like 2 mics on one guitarspeaker, sounding COMPLETELY different without even touching the EQ! I tell you, it was hell working with that. I dunno what the hell was with that board, but something made some channels really sound like shit. And I've seen too many broken behringermixers to ever invest in one of those again! BAH!

Back