Another fine offering from Behringer

well, I have a Behringer FCB1010 floorboard MIDI controller, and I really like it....but it doesn't make sound, so that is why it is a good Behringer product. i got it to trigger my J-station at a fraction of the cost of the Johnson foot controller, and this one does way more, I even use it a footpedals for softsynths, and trigger loops etc off of it while I play my guitar. But like I said, it makes no sound, so that is why it is a good Behringer product.

Slightly OT, but:

I saw a copy of a Behringer mixer today :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: A small 2 mic/2 line, kind of a 602a copy ... I don't remember the brand name but the owner showed me the thing doesn't has a serial number :D
Knobs, buttons, casing, ... all almost identical copy of a Behringer...

there's some spooky shit out there...

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
I saw a copy of a Behringer mixer today

Not sure if this is what it is.

I was reading a report from someone who went to an audio trade show in China. Apparently, there are 3rd party brands where their products come from the same line in the same fatory where Bear-ringer stuff is made.

In another word, not a copy, it's the exact same thing just branded differently. Or unbranded might be the right word.

And these generic versions would sell for cheaper, even.

Swede said:
Is the ART tube pre also one of those faux-tube crap preamps?

Yea, as are most of the budget-level "tube" mic pres.

Another thing to ask is whether or not it has a transformer input.

Honestly, you can bash away all you want, but the Bellari RP220 is a dual-channel real tube mic pre that actually sounds pretty cool. It's not super clean, but then it's not supposed to be. It a tube mic pre that sounds like . . . a tube mic pre. If you ever do get one, just try and scratch off the Bellari logo and don't tell anyone it's yours (and don't mention anything to Blue Bear -- he'll make fun of you for it).

tigerbomb said:
Not sure if this is what it is.

Apparently, there are 3rd party brands where their products come from the same line in the same fatory where Bear-ringer stuff is made.

So what's the correct spelling here? Is it a Bear-ringer tewb pre,
or a Bear-injure toob pre?

It would be interesting to know how this little thing performs as a bass DI. If anybody tries this, please post some results!

The ART MP isn't half bad as a bass DI, right? If this mic100 is as good, I'd get it just for it to function as a DI.

jeffree said:
As as disinterested but questioning observer, I just can't believe that there isn't someone out there with something good to write about Behringer. C'mon someone--be strong and let us hear another side to the story: isn't there at least one good Behringer product, or at least one good aspect of one bad product?

J.

Just check my posts but it sure does get awfully lonely.

Tony

jeffree said:
isn't there at least one good Behringer product, or at least one good aspect of one bad product?

I you stack 4 composers it makes a nice computer monitor stand - lights and everything :D

Herwig

alll i know is my behringer mixer is noisy, ugly, noisy, noisy, but durable, i drop kicked it once in an angry rage, and it sounded a lil betetr the next day, just alil uglier. but im getting a soundcraft, so im selling it to some wanna be producer kid for 100 bucks.... lol 20 cheaper than what i paid... lol consumer beware...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again because I'm being asked to...:rolleyes:

Most of my stuff is Behringer or other cost-effective stuff. I have the MX802A mixer, a couple of ECM8000 mics, a Composer Pro MDX2200 compressor, and I'll be very soon getting the PowerPlay Pro headphone amp. I have other non-Behringer stuff too...

It's okay. If this stuff didn't exist, I probably wouldn't be recording much. Because I can get stuff pretty much on the cheap, it allows me to enthusiastically pursue this hobby of mine. Does the stuff break down? No. Does their service/support suck donkey nuts? I don't know - never had to find out. Even if I did have a problem with the products, my retailer would take care of it, and THEY would deal with Behringer. Are they made in China? Apparently, yes, but so is Mackie. Is it really noisy and sound like total crap? No, at least not to me.

I have a sample of something I recorded with the mixer and the ECM8000 mics. There is a little bit of hiss, but really only audible at the beginning and end, which allegedly, is expected from pretty much any small-diaphragm condensor. Check out www.soundclick.com/christondreaumusic.htm and listen to the ECM8000 demo. It doesn't sound like crap, I don't think.

The compressor gets pretty good reviews around here, and I didn't even use that in the above recording. The producer for Bon Jovi uses Behringer compressors, though I don't know which one. Money, I don't expect is a limiting factor for him. He says he likes them, and that's why he uses them.

Would I choose a Focusrite mic pre over the Behringer one? Sure, I would. Would I use a pair of Rode NT5's over the Behringers? Probably. Why don't I? Can't afford to.

Chris

Thanks to all who have offered some balance here, both pro and con. I only asked about it since I've read a few good reviews of Behringer equipment--for the price. Obviously, much better stuff's available for more money, always a trade-off. In most cases, I prefer to save longer and buy better, but there are times when I need something and go the budget route as a temporary fix.

If anyone knows of a good all-around budget firm besides Behringer (for those occasional fixes, especially for mics and related equip), please let me know. MXL? Samson? Nady? Or?

Best,

J.

IMO those brands are all the same bunch.. Samson and Behrie have a wee little too many similarities in their designs to be original, just a different color and knobs.

Actually Bearsinger is one of the most allround companies I know of, and they keep expanding their product line (no comment on if that's good or not)

Herwig

When it comes to gear, money buys quality. There's no way around that. So the super cheap Behringer (and any other budget brand) will have serious compromises as far as component quality. I bought a Behringer headphone distribution amp a while back and was rather shocked at how light it was and how flimsy it felt. The knobs felt cheap, everything felt cheap. It didn't have much power either. It did the job it was supposed to do, but was certainly not the best thing around.

The low end stuff is great for getting people gear that they couldn't otherwise afford to have, but in reality once you get accustomed to better quality equipment you don't have much use for the Behringers of the world. That's not snobbishness, just the reality of it.

Well, as a homerec board, we cater to all types...:cool:

I have a couple of Behringer mixers and I think they're pretty good for the money. It's a matter of expectations, that's all.

One makes up for the dead preamps in a Radio Shack amp powering a sound system at a local parish hall that I redesigned and rebuilt - actually, it sounds pretty nice. No budget; I managed to get all the pieces for an eight two-way speaker setup mounted in the ceiling and rewired in two stereo arrays, plus the mixer, plus new wiring and four XLR sockets in the wall, all preset and run with a light switch, for a little under a thousand bucks with volunteer labor. The system is on eight hours a month. Works fine, and when the amp finally calves, there's a slick setup waiting for a little Hafler.

The other is a tiny mixer I use to run monitors in my studio. Its a glorified patchbay, allowing me to mix all kinds of gear. Worth every penny.

But it's no Soundcraft...:D

I run Mackie for my live setup - it takes everything I can toss at it. The Behringer would self destruct in some of the places I've Mackified. There's very little comparison in that regard.

OK, if you'll bear with me, let's get more specific with, say, microphones, which I'm looking at now...

Let's say I need another mic for a current project but only have $100-150 to spend right now. Would a Behringer B1 compare more or less favorably to, say, an Octava MK319? I've found some surprisingly good reviews for both, all things considered,
but will they do a reasonably decent job of simply capturing sound that is at least rather accurate and smooth rather than harsh and thin (using a Yamaha AW16G)?

Any takers in the $100 mic search, or is it simply out of the question at this proce point?

Just wondering,

J.

jeffree: Do a search for budget mics. You should be able to come across several threads covering this. Some of the most reccommended budget mics on this board seems to be studioprojects B1, mxl v67 and AT 4033.

Back