Alan... No Stephen Paul Mic?

ignition said:
I think you're taking this a bit too far.
Yeah, I suppose your right.... asking about a mic on this forum might be taking it a bit too far.

Last edited:
Justin Hyatt said:
The above answer you got before is all you'll get and you'll just have to learn to live with that. This will always be the response you'll get in regards to any future questions you might have about any products of ours that we feel are necessary to protect.
Is the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill microphone now a PMI product... and does that mean 797 Audio in China will be making some of the parts, like the diaphragms and etc?

CyanJaguar said:
DJL,

I see that you have over 2k posts on this board so something does not gel. Usually people who act like this are newbies and leave soon.

Can you tell us, what exactly is your beef with PMI? and I mean exactly.

Contrary to what you think, not everybody is on the PMI bandwagon, and not everyone thinks that the c1 sounds just like a u87, but dang, do you see anybody else resorting to immature behavior to get a point accross?

and, if you must know, it is not PMI or stephen paul that were saying "buy it" as you claimed earlier. It is people who know the value of stephen Paul's work that signed themselves up for his mic, and with good reason. How people choose to spend their money is really none of your business.

DJL,

you did not answer my darn question.

For crying out loud, geez...

Stephen MADE HIS OWN DIAPRAGMS AT HIS PLACE.

THere was no one else in the world that could, can, or will for a long time make the diapragms as thin as his. Neumann and those guys cant even get close to a useable product.

I would be willing to say they will be made right there wher ehe always made them, but thats just guessing. WHy does he have to have a goddam factory freshly built in the USA to get away with USA made capsules, anyway? And why do you care where in the hell and when he MAY have built one? Damn, enough already.

crazydoc said:
I assume this was meant as a candidate for the "Understatement of the Year Award." BTW, here in the USA we generally use the term "jack-off" or "jerk-off."

When a child throws a tantrum or otherwise loudly clamors for attention, the preferred way of dealing with such an outburst is to ignore him. Maybe we should try that, and see if he is as capable as a two year old in learning social skills.

Actually, my the method I prefer for 2 year olds throwing tantrums is a good old fashioned spanking. But for DJL, (I think the user name means, Dumb, Jerk, Lout) I'm afraid he might like it.

DJL said:
Is the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill microphone now a PMI product... and does that mean 797 Audio in China will be making some of the parts, like the diaphragms and etc?

No. And thank you for finally coming out and making the allegation you've been hinting at for 3 days. Unfortunately, since you're apparently having an episode right now...

Harvey Gerst and Alan already answered that question.

Here's Harvey's quote:
"Let me make this perfectly clear: AFAIK, the mic is completely finished and working. During one of my last conversations with Stephen, he was still waiting on some unique parts to be finished so that they could begin production. These parts did not affect the final sound; they were strictly innovative switches. They did NOT affect the final sound in any way.

The mic is finished as far as I know and was expected to be shown either at the NAMM show in January, or released in February. There are no "final design decisions"; Stephen's vision was completed before he died.

Finally, Tony Merrill is far from just being "Stephen Paul's assistant" - he's become one amazing designer in his own right, who is more than capable of carrying on Stephen's legacy. He was in on the original design from the beginning - he fully understands the reason behind every piece inside the mic.

Stephen knew he was dying; from conversations with Stephen, it was pretty obvious to me that he meant for Tony to carry on his legacy, and he prepared Tony for that eventuality."

Here's Alan's quote:

"WE ARE BUILDING THE CAPSULE IN THE USA. It is a custom designed capsule. IT IS NOT MADE BY SENNHEISER OR ANYONE ELSE. IT IS MADE BY US!"

These responses were in direct response to one of YOUR questions in this very thread. Are you having trouble reading and comprehending again? Is it time for your medicine?

Go, Rain Man, Go!

Last edited:
DJL said:
You mean Shure? Yeah it's a serious question... and PMI should give an answer... maybe, if you ask Alan he will tell when and where he built his diaphragm factory and why he hasn't got the parts he said Stephen approved yet.

Why should PMI give an answer?

What make an anonymous asshole like you on the Internet think that you deserve to know information that a corporation has chosen not to make public?

Why should they tell YOU anything? They're a private corporation-they aren't beholden to you or anyone else on this board. They have no obligation to tell you OR me anything. If they choose to let people know details about the Stephen Paul microphone, I'm guessing it's won't be because someone on an internet forum asked. Additionally, this thing has been under development for about 2 years...why would they suddenly start tossing around the details now?

Regardless of the way you've treated Alan and PMI in the past, they have no obligation to answer your question, and even less of one now, since you've basically been an jerkoff to the company president, and pissed on the grave of a valued partner and microphone genius in his own right.

Given the history Stephen has had with his ideas being stolen, I understand their hesitancy to leak details. If you had a fucking clue what you were talking about, and weren't so blinded by your hatred of PMI and Alan, you might understand as well.

And while we're on the subject, I'd like to thank Gidge for bringing a couple of old threads to the forefront, so we can see additional examples of this little game you're playing.

You've got issues, DJL. And all you're doing now is exposing them to everyone on the forum.

That whooshing noise you're hearing is what little credibility you have being sucked out the window....or maybe it's just the voices in your head again.

Go, Rain Man, Go!

Last edited:
tubedude said:
For crying out loud, geez...

Stephen MADE HIS OWN DIAPRAGMS AT HIS PLACE.

THere was no one else in the world that could, can, or will for a long time make the diapragms as thin as his. Neumann and those guys cant even get close to a useable product.
Bummer, so does that mean there will only be a small handful of Stephen Paul mics made? How many diaphragms did Stephen make for his Stephen Paul mics before he died?

CyanJaguar said:
DJL,

you did not answer my darn question.
Do you have any info about the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill microphone? Is Alan and Brent going to try and take credit for the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill microphone mic design too?

DJL said:
Bummer, so does that mean there will only be a small handful of Stephen Paul mics made? How many diaphragms did Stephen make for his Stephen Paul mics before he died?

Given Stephen's disease, I doubt he made ANY diaphragms before he died. When your hands don't work, it's pretty damn hard to run a precision lathe.

Look...Alan's not going to tell you where the diaphragms were made. The statement from Steven Paul Audio about the mic states the the mic is 100% American made. You don't have the right to know where they're made. Tony at SPA can make them, and has been making the Neumann mod diaphragms for years-ever since Stephen lost use of his hands. I don't know if they're making them in-house, and Alan's not going to tell you, but the fact is that they have a way to get diaphragms.

HEY EVERYONE-DJL IS INSINUATING THAT THE SPA MICS ARE GOING TO HAVE DIAPHRAGMS MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!

There. Your point is made. Now quit acting stupid...your Oscar is on the way.

Go, Rain Man, Go!

Is the mic really going to be 100% USA made? I doubt it.

Don't you people want to know all you can about the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill mic... or is it you don't care about the mic because you can't afford a 2K mic? Hell, if your going to spend that kind of money on a mic I would think you'd want to know about the mic.

DJL said:
Do you have any info about the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill microphone? Is Alan and Brent going to try and take credit for the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill microphone mic design too?

Things Alan and Brent have taken credit for:

Alan and Brent were the mysterious individuals on the grassy knoll.

Alan and Brent were the pilots for Air Force One when Bush made his secret trip into Baghdad.

Alan and Brent Photoshopped the picture of Neil Armstrong stepping on the moon.

Alan and Brent set of a huge thermonuclear explosion that killed the dinosaurs.

Alan and Brent are actually Jesus and John the Baptist.

Alan and Brent invented the Internet.

Alan and Brent have discovered a cure for cancer, but they're holding back the details while 797 Audio prepares the packaging.

Alan and Brent shot JR.

Alan and Brent have every missing sock from every dryer in the United States.

Alan and Brent discovered the Beatles AND Elvis.

Alan and Brent are going to take credit for the Stephen Paul microphone.

There.

Now the truth is out there. I've know all of this for years, and finally had to let it spill. You've won, DJL. You've broken my spirit.

Go, Rain Man, Go!

DJL said:
Is the mic really going to be 100% USA made? I doubt it.

Don't you people want to know all you can about the Stephen Paul/Tony Merrill mic... or is it you don't care about the mic because you can't afford a 2K mic? Hell, if your going to spend that kind of money on a mic I would think you'd want to know about the mic.

Please provide a detailed parts origin list and assembly locations for your Neumann TLM103. Hell, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a mic I would think you'd want to know about the mic.

Thank you.

Go, Rain Man, Go!

Last edited:
Don't be so sure about that.

alanhyatt said:
the fact that Brent Casey and I have been in constant design meetings with Stephen gave us a complete understanding of what and how Stephen designed.

Go, Rain Man, Go!

I'm trying to find out about the Stephen Paul mic... do you have any info about the mic or are you too only here to try and bust my balls?

Go RAIN MAN GO.

Track Rat said:
So I suppose you won't be buying one? Too bad.
Well, I don't know much about the mic yet so I'm not sure... I admit I don't like having to buy from PMI only, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't. How about you, did you order one?

Back